Netflix for Android - FINALLY! (And Hulu Plus and Xfinity)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
pbrauer-albums-misc-pics-picture704-netflix.jpg

So straight from CES, Unwired is reporting that there finally is a true Netflix App coming for the Android Platform and it was beinh demo'd on the new LG Revolution Android phone. Add this to yesterday's announcements that Hulu Plus was being shown over on the Samsung Tablets along with the Xfinity app from Comcast and we can finally have some hope for a great media viewing experience! It will be especially nice when we can have these apps straight from the market rather than with all of the tweaking and changes that Android users go through now.

(sources - Unwired, Samsung, CES Pressroom)

Joeyqqqb

Oct 16, 2010
...I wonder if these app would work on my older version(1.6) android, if not there's really isn't much excitement on top of this.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
i am going to go on a limb and guess probably not out of the box, but I would hope that it runs on at least 2.1.

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
I stumbled across this thread in looking for Netflix-Andorid info.

From what I gather, Netflix may not be backward compatible with any device that's presently out which bodes poorly for anyone looking at a tablet/phone over the next few months. I'm guessing that, at least early on, the app may simply ship with the phone/device and not even be on the market.

Qualcomm promises Netflix streaming support on 'future Android devices' with Snapdragon -- Engadget

We'll have to see about Hulu as they are only promising it for "select" devices as well:

Hulu Plus Coming Soon to Android Mobile Phones, Live on Vizio HDTVs « Hulu Blog

It kinda sux, really: you get a device thinking that it will be upgradeable and instead it gets left behind.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I have a suspicion that NetFlix won't run on anything less then Android 3.1. This will be just another way to entice people to purchase newer, up-coming tablets... after the HoneyComb craze.

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
where do I go to get the netflixs app for the Android 2.2 tablet

Why wait For Netflix app , Just go to Amazon and sign up free for Amazon Prime movies , free trial lasts 30 days you get unlimited daily movies to your tab, Pc, and if you have a HDMI output just plug and play on Big screen , I watch them at 1080P on my Elocity A7 with 2.2, If you like their deal (They recently bought out Netflix Of Europe) The Flat fee $79 yr. That beats Blockbuster and NetflixUSA prices!

jeninds

Mar 6, 2011
I just bought the Sylvania mini tablet express. Does anyone know how I can watch movies on it. Does Amazon Prime work on it? Netflix wants me to download google silver something.. and the tablet won't let me download anything. Please help.

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
...I wonder if these app would work on my older version(1.6) android, if not there's really isn't much excitement on top of this.

I can't speak for the other Apps but the new xFinity TV app requires at least Android 2.2. I was pretty let down by that as I was really looking for a good TV/Movie streaming app.

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
Yes it will works on your Sylvania tablet, try it free for 30 days, Amazon Prime bought Netflix of Europe couple of months ago!

muslimmamma

Mar 10, 2011
I think im gonna have to buy this now to watch on my wii, tablet and phone. Sounds like a deal for $8 a month and ebates.com will give you one month free.

pichir

Mar 22, 2011
can tell if the sylvania mini tablet 7, you can see movies netflix and I give my son on his birthday