New ACER A700/A701 Specs leak out

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

Killjoy

Oct 5, 2011
I know this sounds stupid but with everyone going lighter and thinner, I think the 500 will be the last to have a standard USB. And you know, if that is the case, I love it even more.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I'd be surprised if they dump their full size USB port, considering that is one thing that sets them apart from the competition.

You know what Acer... Just fix the microphone issue in the A700 and I'll be buy one in a heartbeat.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You sure the source is reliable?

Absolutely NOT.

I wouldn't trust this at all. Its just something some anonymous person dredged out of some
obscure source file on Acer's site.

Not to be trusted at all as far as I can see. Just tossing it out there.

Nov 19, 2011
Yes, This is true. Here are the links, and the source directly from acers website.
1920x1200 Resolution
Tegra 3 Quad Core
10" screen (educated guess, according to typical dpi)

Follow the link to read what each item means:
http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/profiles/UAPROF/ccppschema-20021212

Hardware info
<prf:Model>Acer A701</prf:Model>
<prf:Vendor>Acer</prf:Vendor>
<prf:BitsPerPixel>32</prf:BitsPerPixel>
<prf:ScreenSize>1920x1200</prf:ScreenSize>
<prf:CPU>NVIDIA Tegra 3</prf:CPU>
<prf:ScreenSizeChar>28x30</prf:ScreenSizeChar>

Radio info:
<rdf:li>GSM_GPRS_IPV4</rdf:li>
<rdf:li>GSM_CSD_IPV4</rdf:li>
<rdf:li>GSM_SMS_MSISDN</rdf:li>
<rdf:li>GSM_USSD_MSISDN</rdf:li>
<rdf:li>GSM_USSD_SERVICE_CODE</rdf:li>

Software:
<prf:BrowserName>Android Browser</prf:BrowserName>
<prf:BrowserVersion>3.2.1</prf:BrowserVersion>

Seems to be 3.2.1.... that is the browser version by the way. You can derive the possible software version of the OS from that but by the time it is publicly released it may change to an updated version.

ACER A501 browser version listed as:
<prf:BrowserName>Android Browser</prf:BrowserName>
<prf:BrowserVersion>0.6</prf:BrowserVersion>

HERE ARE THE SOURCE LINKS:

http://support.acer.com/UAprofile/Acer_A700_Profile.xml

http://support.acer.com/uaprofile/acer_A701_profile.xml

The older models can be found with a similar path:

http://support.acer.com/uaprofile/acer_a501_profile.xml
http://support.acer.com/uaprofile/acer_a500_profile.xml

Last edited:

2000roadie

Aug 12, 2011
Just read this so who knows if this will even hit market.
Traditional PC makers like Dell and HP believe they have no advantages in the tablet market, and plan to phase out from competing with Apple's iPad, along with low-end tablets from content providers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble, in 2012.
Along with Hewlett-Packard and Dell, other "pure" PC makers like Acer and Asus plan to gradually exit the tablet market next year, industry sources told DigiTimes. The main reason is said to be that they cannot provide content like Apple, Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
here's the link: AppleInsider | Major PC makers plan to concede tablet market to Apple, Amazon in 2012

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well that makes the previous 2 posts in direct conflict with each other. The news media are pro-Apple. And as far as actual concept design goes, tablrts made their appearance in STAR TREK next gen - not an Apple invention.

From a source I have, ACER ICONIA out sells other tablet makes - not counting iPad. Now Apple is so desparate that they are giving away a lot of iPad's just to stay in front. This begs the question: How do they make their money?

Nov 19, 2011
I believe android owns a significant market share. Only android tablets and phones will use chips from Samsung and tegra that have quad cores and this seems to be thier next model. Its the User Agent data sheet directly from the manufacturer website. Their will be powerfull tablets that support windows 8 for ARM platforms as well as the upcoming ice cream sandwich. Some available dual core phones are scheduled the receive the ice cream sandwich update eventually. It will be a very fast tablet. Apple will also probably release an iPad/iPhone with a quad core ARM architecture based on in house design. They must make a retina display that has 720p or 1080p to compete with andriod phones and tablets. Tablets and phones are both similar markets with cellular data and android/iOS operating systems. They meet similar needs. Ice cream sandwich is pretty advanced. Google it.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Being that the above comes from an Apple-centric site, shouldn't it be taken with a grain of salt?

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Fujitsu made tablets long before Apple decided to upgrade the Newton to the iPod. Let's also consider Psion years before the PDA thing caught on, my Psion series 5 was years ahead of anything out there, and that's part of the reason is was not a big success. However I can still fire up my old Fujitsu LT-C500 running windows 2000 and get real work done.

Nov 19, 2011
Being that the above comes from an Apple-centric site, shouldn't it be taken with a grain of salt?
I'm not sure what apple centric is supposed to mean but I have a atrix 4g running android, an iPod touch, a MacBook, and a linux server. I like anyone who makes good products. It's not apple-centric. Im saying this upcoming tablet is an iPad competitor and the tablet market is going to be in demand for this kind of tablet with 1080p and a quad core, which are features no tablet currently has.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
I was talking about the fact that the site is call "Apple Insider". I've never heard of it (or DigiTimes) and was attempting to suss out if it's a reliable source for info. I'd be skeptical of news from a Dell supporting site that Apple or HP or someone one else was pulling out of a market.
Competition breeds innovation. I'm hoping it's not true.

Nov 19, 2011
I was talking about the fact that the site is call "Apple Insider". I've never heard of it (or DigiTimes) and was attempting to suss out if it's a reliable source for info. I'd be skeptical of news from a Dell supporting site that Apple or HP or someone one else was pulling out of a market.
Competition breeds innovation. I'm hoping it's not true.

I'm still not sure what you mean. What does apple insider have to do with this?
The source links go directly to acers support site