New Getac Z710 Android Tablet Can Take a Thrashing and Dishes One Out to Your Wallet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
getac-rugged-android-tablet.jpeg

There is a new touch-spec Android tablet coming to the market soon. It's called the Getac Z710, and the company claims it is the "world's most compact and robust Android tablet". While that lofty claim may or may not be true, one thing is for sure... this tablet will give your wallet a pounding that will make it beg for a hospital. The non-3G version of the tablet will sell for $1499.99, and the 3G version goes for $1799.99. Ouch! Here's a quote with a description of the tablet to give you an idea of its capabilities,

Equipped with a Gorilla Glass display and a rubberized shell casing that encompasses the entirety of the tablet, the Z710 is engineered to take some serious abuse. Although we probably wouldn't suggest using it as target practice, the Getac Z710 is a suitable tablet for harsh work environments.

Measuring in at 8.5 x 5.6-inches with slightly more than one-inch in thickness, the 2-pound tablet isn't the most portable of tablets. But its ability to survive drops of up to six feet, its certified protection against dust and liquids as well as its ability to operate in extreme temperatures as low as -4°F and high as 122°F makes it one tough cookie.

Another appealing aspect of the tablet for work environments is the company's LumiBond technology, allowing users wearing gloves to easily interact with the capacitive touch display. The Android 2.3 tablet is equipped with most standard tablet features including a front camera, a 5MP rear camera, GPS, Wi-Fi, barcode/RFID reader, Bluetooth and 3G availability.

I don't know about you guys, but this seems severely over-priced, even for a tough-spec device. Not long ago, we shared that Fujitsu will soon be offering a tough-spec device for just $549.99, and the well-known and well-respected Panasonic Toughpad goes for $1299.99. It will be interesting to see if this Getac really is that much tougher than those other offerings. If anyone in the forums has familiarity with previous Getac products, please let us know what is so special about them.

Source: TomsHardware

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
The problem with something like this is that Android tablets have become like phones, they are almost disposable. With newer versions of the Android system coming out continuously, as well as new hardware upgrades, there is a good chance this tablet will be outdated in less than 18 months. $1400 or more is a huge chunk of change to place on a tablet when most users can buy a new tablet with the latest features for less than $400 on a consistent basis, and even less if all they want to do is play games, read books and use social media which probably makes up about 80 -90% of all tablet users.

I could be wrong but I think this is going to be an epic fail at that price....

Todd

prbarry

Jul 13, 2012
For the most part, Getac specially courts the Military Market,

They have been around for over 20 years making Mil Spec computers.

Their products will be found in a lot of military vehicles like tanks, APC's (Armored Personal Carriers), Hum Vees. etc.
Also in field operations for the Oil, Mining, Lumber and various survey groups.

Their Laptops make Panasonic Tough Books look wimpy.

I hope this helps explain their seemingly high price.

Years ago I had one of their handhelds, put it on the roof of my pickup and later drove off forgetting it was up there.
Short version; as I was sailing down the road at about 65 mph, I happened to look at my mirror and saw it bouncing down the road.
After I retrieved it I was amazed to find that except for some Road Rash it still worked! Tough Stuff.

mikearnill

Aug 25, 2012
Heard about it, I guess that is kind of cool. I love it's design and simplicity I guess it is going to make android market more broad and sharp.