New Nook rooted but have questions regarding auto nooter

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have an auto-nooter question too. I just bought a refurbished Nook Color with the model number bnrv200rb. How can I find out which version of auto-nooter to download?

It depends on what version of the B&N software you decide to root. You also have the option of installing a custom ROM or running a custom ROM from an SD card and leaving the Nook stock when not using the bootable SD card. So you really have to decide what you want.

At this point you should really only be using B&N 1.2 or B&N 1.3 and the corresponding nooter for rooting it. You can check the B&N version by going into Settings>Device Info>About Your Nook.

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
Hi J515OP,

Thanks sooo much for your response. Ideally I would want to be able to boot from my SD card as a way to leave the Nook in tact. I'm running B&N 1.3… I just checked. The thing is, I'm new to all of this and I when I then looked into auto-nooter for that version of the B&N software, it seems that they don't offer a solution. So now I'm wondering if I should use ManualNooter instead, which seems to be the fallback option?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi J515OP,

Thanks sooo much for your response. Ideally I would want to be able to boot from my SD card as a way to leave the Nook in tact. I'm running B&N 1.3… I just checked. The thing is, I'm new to all of this and I when I then looked into auto-nooter for that version of the B&N software, it seems that they don't offer a solution. So now I'm wondering if I should use ManualNooter instead, which seems to be the fallback option?

That is correct, you would use manual nooter which isn't all that different from autonooter, so don't let the "manual" scare you off. However, there is another solution which allows you to boot and run customs ROMs on your Nook while leaving the internal stuff completely stock. Insert one of these cards into the Nook while off and pwer on and you will boot into a full Android table. Power down, remove the card and turn back on and you will be right back to a perfectly stock Nook.

Here's the how to: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
I finally got around to trying that process out. I did everything as instructed but when I get to step 6, weird stuff happens. So I insert the SD and turn it on then it says something like "Loading". After that, the Penguin pops up and the scrolling happens and runs for some minutes then powers off. Then, when I turn it back on again, I get that same loading screen again and nothing happens. If I leave it on in that state for ages, still nothing happens, but if I turn it off, then when I turn it back on again it is as though there is no SD card in there at all (i.e. - everything loads in the normal Nook software).

I have started from scratch on the instructions a few times and had the same thing happen with each time, so I am not sure what I could do differently now :(. Any ideas of what could be the matter J515OP?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
After the screen goes blank are you holding the power button for about 15 seconds or so to turn it all the way off then rebooting? The last part of the process looks like the nook is turning off but it is actually just the screen going blank. If you look carefully you can tell the difference between a blank screen and one that is completely off.

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
I thought I was turning it off all of the way first, but I will try again and see what happens now. I just reformatted the SD card to start over (since I had never reformatted in between re-tries and figured that maybe that could be it or something). I'll let you know how it turns out :). Also, I'm on a Mac and so I have to do the writing process a bit differently than the instructions and maybe that's an issue too. But I'll try the 15 second thing and see how that goes :). Thanks for chiming back in again, by the way J515OP :).

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
In Step 8, before the screen went blank, it quickly said something like "all steps complete flushing cache now", which wasn't what I was expecting.

Then, when I turn it back on, more lines of code go down and at the end of that new process, I get a message that ends with the stuff below, then everything freezes.

Looking for the install images…
Initial install files not found.
Please download it from nook.linuxhacker.ru
and put on first partition of this SD Card
the name should start with updatei-cm and end with .zip

Now I'm stuck again :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There are some tricks to burning an image to an sd card with a mac though I don't recall off the top of my head. The image file may need to be on the desktop or something like that.

Make sure you are not unziping the CM7 and GApps files, they should be copied to the card as zip files.

The last thing is you may possibly have a bad download(s). The CyogenMod site lists the MD5s for the files. One you have downloaded the CM7 7.1.0 and GApps, you can check the MD5 sum using a MD5 calculator and make sure it matches the one listed on the CyogenMod site.

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
I had previously been trying to burn the image file from it having been in the home directory. Since I am not on a PC, I had found that process somewhere and the tutorial did not give a reason why this person opted to place files in the home directory but I just followed. I will try with the files on the desktop though, because I never thought about that :).

I have not unzipped the files :). Your tutorial made it clear that they should be kept as zip files.

That last bit was all Greek to me, so I will look into where to find a MD5 calculator for Mac and also the process for verifying those things. Thanks again J515OP.

Another thing I will probably try will be to try the process using a different SD card. I have a 2 gig one in my phone that I can use as a tester. Maybe the PNY 16 gig Class 4 that I had gotten for this was not a good choice? I'll see :).

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
Oh, and the 2 gig one is a SanDisk, which is another reason why I thought it would be a good tester card :).

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
I used a MD5 calculator for Mac to compare the checksums on the update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip file and the gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip files and they came out identical to the "md5sum" numbers listed on the sites. I did not test the image file because there was no "md5sum" number to compare it against.

Also, this time when I reformatted the SD card, I reformatted it from within the Nook itself.

Lastly, I tried with my SanDisk card but that was even worse because it made things so that the Nook cannot be powered off or on again after that first step. I think it's because it was actually a 1GB card afterall, and that's probably too small for this :(. Now I'm not sure what else I could try.... it's still stuck "Loading...." after the Penguin pops off and I power it down then turn it back on again :(.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, I think your card was too small. Hold the power button until the card turns all the way off. Remove your card and make sure you can boot back to stock. Then reinsert the card unmount it and format it in the Nook again tog et a usable card back.

If your MD5s are good then we know that you have good source files at least. I suspect that there is some small little thing you have to do on the Mac to get the image to burn correctly. I briefly searched yesterday but didn't see it. As I recall the issue though Macs want to automatically unpack the image and/or you needed to have the file in a certain directory to avoid this.

Hopefully this gives you some clues you can work with. However, it does sound like you are already having some success writing the image, in that the booting process is starting but not completing. To me this suggests a bad download but you have already checked that.

JP

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
As for the 1GB card, I'm good there - I reformatted it and everything's now fine again :). Now regarding the PNY card….. I'm still stuck. And the fact that 1) everything seems fine in how I followed the steps and 2) the files used checked out fine are really really the irritating parts.

It seemed weird to me that things would get to the Penguin stage then stop after that. And yep, there WAS an issue with Safari wanting to automatically un-zip everything after download but then I found that Chrome doesn't do this, to the files were fine in that way too. I think that the next thing I should try is following the steps on a PC… things can only go up from here :). I'll also find out if this guy ever managed to sort his problem out somehow (since MY issue mirrors his).

Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot all of this JP :)

DizzyDen

Mar 31, 2011
NCGirl... Sorry I hadn't seen thread before... the problem you are having is fairly common... verygreen's setup script sometimes fails on 16GB cards... I had this issue with some wintec cards... What I had to do was set it up on a smaller card (4GB in my case) then use win32diskimager to back that card up... write it to the 16 GB card and extend the 4th partition in either EASUS or MiniTools Partition Manager.

I'll upload my blank install image to my RS and link here.... NOTE: I will have a 500 MB boot partition and leave about 512 MB unused to accomodate any "insufficient space" issues.

If after you write this image and install you're choice of ROM you get a lot of force closes etc... I would then recommend getting a Sandisk 16 GB class 2 or 4 from walmart (about $20) and you'll see your woes vanish.