Newbe, needs help ( Calendar & Email Problems )

winston66

Oct 6, 2011
Hi everybody, Im a newbe, have just got my first slab. Telefunken 7 inch version 2.2.1 froyo 1.00, Model No.TEL7J. Firmware Version V2.21_00.10_C_AU@201110718

Having a lot of fun finding my way around the various systems. My only experience has been with Windows 7, 64, bit desktop.

So far have worked out,how to work through the touch screen operations.
recieve, compile and send emails via the wifi. search and download some reading matter via the shelvs app. and some web brousing.

My question for tonights forum help is,

How do I access the email settings in order to compile an address and contact list for the convence when sending messages.

Also , ditto, so far I have not been able to enter any data or appointments into the calender, I can not find any link for inputting. For either of these applications

If anyone can help me, thank you in advance, Please be aware that I do not understand almost all of the relevant jargon that is used in these discussions, so please keep any instructions, suggestions, ect. as simple as possible. My inept brain generally even has trouble in following simple cooking reciepies.

If I can get these two processes sorted I will be most greatful and will come back with some more questions later. Cheers to all.
Winston66

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Winston, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here as a member of Android Tablets. It seems you've been able to work out quite a bit on your own, and we just need to get you a little help with your calendar and email settings. To do that, I'm moving your post to the Android Tablet Apps section of the forum. Someone there should be able to help you out. Good luck!

matw8

Oct 15, 2011
Hi Winston,
After much Google searching I thought I was the only one with a Telefunken TEL7J, so it's nice to find someone else. :)

How do I access the email settings in order to compile an address and contact list for the convence when sending messages.

That appears to be a glaring oversight on the part of Telefunken. There doesn't seem to be any address book capability.
The way around this is to use a Gmail account, and the associated Gmail app. How to install this app is a trick I'll cover below.

Another glaring oversight is the Android Market app. It's not there. The only built in option for installing new apps is the SlideME market, which is useless.
The way around this is to use a third party market, such as Getjar.

To do this, browse on the internet to m.getjar.com on the tablet.
You can install the getjar app by downloading direct from that site. Then you can browse the market.
They have an excellent range of apps, including a lot of usually paid apps that are free.
The apps I've downloaded and used with success on the TEL7J are:
Youversion Bible
Gmail ( A good email app for Gmail accounts, including address book, but you need to be online to use it)
Google (link to Google services)
Swiftkey X (a keyboard replacement that's much better than the built in one)
Aldiko ebook reader (much better than Shelves)
Winamp (much better than the built in player)

Also , ditto, so far I have not been able to enter any data or appointments into the calender, I can not find any link for inputting. For either of these applications

To enter a new appointment, hold your finger on the date required, and a menu will pop up. One option will be NEW EVENT.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi matw8, welcome to the forum and thanks for helping Winston. Glad you decided to join Android Tablets, now at least there are two of you with that tablet.:cool:

GomSof

Oct 16, 2011
Hi all, I've seen the Telefunken Tel7J for sale (on-line) and liked the the specs for the price, but can't find anything about it on the Telefunken site - is it from the usual well known Telefunken company? Apart from the above, are you both happy with it, particularly as an eReader?

winston66

Oct 6, 2011
Hi Matw8, Spider,and GomSof,It is great to hear from you all, and to get your feedback and ideas.matw8, thanks for you input I will try out your suggestions today this is just the help and input that I need.I have tried to download and input several different apps. but I find that generally they either will not download properly, or do not work properly, or are so difficult to use that I lose patience after an hour or so.It was a pain to establish an account with Google ,extreemly slow and very complicated for me too many processes and pages to access and procedures to do. I wish that I could find a helpfull person on the end of either 1800, or 1300, number to talk to.I gave up twice over a two day period.It seems a shame that the device manufacturers and the apps. developers do not seem to put enough effort into either the research and or development of their products especially when the applications features are sold as part of the package.However enough winging. I find the E reader quite good, but as I do not have any experience or any thing to compare it with I dont rearly know how good it is but if it was my only choice I would think that it was Ok.In three days I have read Three small scifi books and enjoyed the experience.I must say that generally I am very surprised and pleased with this Neopad for the price I think it is great value. Even though it is early days for me, I bought mine purely on a whim and in an endevour to embark on a learning curve , and it certianly has been that.Now my question for today.What tricks are needed in order to operate the Audio player pgm.I tried inputting my audio library via a 4Gb USD input could down load the contents but could not compile any play lists, after 48 hrs. gave up, then found from slide app, their Music Picker, which is fun to use and does seem to work ok. at least there is now some music in the house.Thanks again everybody, It is good to get your input. Lets keep this dialog going.Cheere to all.Winston66

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi GomSof, welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here with us as a member of Android Tablets. If you decide to get a Telefunken, the three of you could form your own little user group out there.:)

winston66

Oct 6, 2011
Hi to matw8, and all.
Thank you matw8 for your heads up on the calender input, since your help it was so easy.
I have just now downloaded the Swiftkey x tablet app and it seems to be as good you said, it took sometime and effort to do, as my fuzzy logic tried many times (unsuccesselvy). to access the phone download, and not the tablet pgm.which took me some time to find.
Then I managed to find the ALDIKO e book reader.
It looks great, have not tried it yet but my first impression of the free download selection, is that it will take me a long long time to check it all out.
Now my question for today is.
How do I go about transfering files from my USB stick directly from the tablets USB port onto the inserted 4GB.micro card.
Thanks again , everybody, Cheers Winston66 (from rural westernAustralia).

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi again Winston. I personally would do the transfer on my PC. If you prefer to do it on the tablet, you'll need a file manager app of some sort to move/copy the files unless there's already one on your system. There are several available for download. I have Astro and ES File Explorer on my tablet, both are free. I'm hoping matw8 will come along, being more familiar with that tablet he'll probably be able to offer more assistance than I can. (Does rural Western Australia = Outback?)

winston66

Oct 6, 2011
Hi Spider,
Thanks for your heads up.As I have said all this is new and strange to me so it is great to have your interest and help, there is so much to try to understand and I do get very confused, however i feel that I am making some progress. I do feel however that perhaps I might have done myself a bit of a disservice by buying one of the cheapest slabs on the market but after reading all of the promotional blurb the specs.seemed to be quite comprehensive and I thought what the hell, no reason that I should not be able to get a good result. I am getting somewere. But these devices certianly do have their limitations. I guess that it mainly could be blamed on or caused by the state of, and or the quality of the software provided by the manufacturers and or by the clients, Ie. (my) poor selection of the available downloads. So I am going to be quite happy just to use it to do the Emails, The E Book reader.Use it as a music source, and some other fun applications. I am enjoying the mental challenge as well as the distractions that it offers. As I get more competant it is very possible that i will be most interested in upgrading to a much improved device.I will be interested to try your suggestions of ASTRO and the ES File Explorer.
THanks again, Yes Rural Western Australia does mean country , we are 600 klms. north of Perth Our capital city and 50 klms north of the nearest town, Geraldton, so a normal shopping trip usually takes a day and means a round journey of 150 klms. Thanks again, Cheers Winston66

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
So I am going to be quite happy just to use it to do the Emails, The E Book reader.Use it as a music source, and some other fun applications. I am enjoying the mental challenge as well as the distractions that it offers.

Hi Winston,
When I think about it, except for viewing videos, that's all I use my tablet for. For creating documents, editing photos and videos, moderating forums:), etc. I invariably turn to my PC. I'm glad things are coming together for you and your expectations for the tablet are realistic. I'm hoping you and matw8 can somehow team up and battle the Telefunkens together. To me, the support you gain by buying a more popular tablet is a big plus.
I've been to your country twice and absolutely fell in love with it. I never got to your end though and that's on my list if I can get over there again. The trip is brutal, but well worth it. I was fortunate to be there for AnZak Day the first time I visited and felt as though I was back home for our Veteran's Day. I also learned if you go to a bar the day before a big game, you'd better find out which club has taken it over for the evening. The "correct" answer to "Who do you hope will win?" gets you free drinks. I don't think I want to find out what happens if you give the "wrong" answer.:cool:
Best of luck with your tablet,
Spider

winston66

Oct 6, 2011
Hi Spider and all,
Well here is the latest on my Telefunken pad,
I have tried to access several different apps. Generally it has been a very difficult job and quite a steep learing curve for me.
It turns out that this device is not registered with Adobe so it can not access their digital reader for E Book down loads from Aldiko.Is it the EPup programme.
Android Market states " That this device is not supported with Android Market at this time, and in addition , manufacturers must obtain a licence from Google in order to install Android Market on their devices. And so they can not help me.
It can not down load the SwifyKey X for Tablets Full version, $4-90 cost.
It can not down load from Feedbooks to the Aldiko reader pgrm.
I have not been able to transfer any data by syncing it with my desktop (probably operator error) mine!
I have not had very much success with their Music programme, I had trouble loading play lists, so I found the Music Picker which seems to work OK.
The E mail pgrm worked Ok , but I want more from this gadget than that.
So on reflection I am going to return the device to the retailer .
Now my question for today is.
What unit can anybody reccomendthat would be suitable for a person with my limited skills.
I would like a larger screen For example 10 inch,
Wifi, A larger internal memory say 1 G. Compatible with Adobe and any other market forces I.E. Windows 7, Office etc. Google , Etc,HDMI output. Up to date Android System 2.3 or later,Expandable MS/TF Memory.Printer driver interface.
The main uses would be Ebook reader, Emails, Web surfing, Videos,a fast processor core 1Ghz or better.HDMI Video output, etc.
As you can see I dont want very much.

Priced around the $300-00 Mark, yes thats right Three hundred dollars. Would be my limit, cheaper if possible.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again everybody. Cheers Winston66, Australia

Debu

Nov 12, 2011
Hi guys now there is 4 of us with the neopad..:)) Looking at the tips and will see how I go, I too are new to these tablets.
It's like learning to play all over again:))

winston66

Oct 6, 2011
Hi Debu,
As you can see ,I was not very happy with the Neopad, mainly for the reasons previously stated. I probably expected too much from this fairly low priced device. But this could be attributed to my gross ignorance of the Android type devices on the market.
However I returned it to the suppliers and they accepted my criticitisms and immediatly refunded the origonal purchace price.
I am now waiting on delivery of another android slab.
It is from [email protected] It is a 7 inch minipad, M9 Android 2.3, Capacitive, Tablet PC, Rockchip RK2918, Cortex A8, Dual core, 3G, wifi, 8Gb, and as an extra I also purchaced a 7 inch leather case with a detachable keyboard to go with and attach to it. This was priced as a package at aus$209.00
It will be very interesting to find out weather it is twice the device that the Neopad was.
The specifications of the M9 suggest that it is but only time will tell, so I have my fingers crossed,
I hope that your Neopad performs for you and does what you want.
Cheers , Winston66

matw8

Oct 15, 2011
Hi all,

I've now purchased a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 and it is 100x better than the TEL7J. Was the TEL7J worth the $99 I paid for it? barely. Was the Galaxy tab worth almost $1k for the 32G 3G version shipped from the UK? Definitely. I use the tab almost all day in my job as an IT consultant, and it does everything I want and more, and I rarely use my laptop any more. I borrowed an iPad2 for a few months, and the tab is much, much better than the restrictive locked down Apple device.

The fact that the TEL7J doesn't have the Android Market installed, and doesn't even appear to support it after downloading the APK directly is just ridiculous for an Android tablet.
The TEL7J is now a toy for my kids, and they barely want to touch it.

If you just want a music player, or eBook reader, the TEL7J is passable, but I think you're much better lashing out and spending $500 on a 16Gig Xoom or Galaxy tab (now that they are available in Australia).
They are easily 100x better, at only 5x the price. You won't be disappointed.