nook color v1.4.1 software update is available...

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
--Netflix seems slow compared to running on CM7.1.
--Only reads CBZ, but it does a really great job of it. If it had CBR support, It would be perfect.
--No idea. I guess you have to buy the perfect books because the ones I had already did not look different.
--Landscape is a novelty. I prefer portrait. Dictionary is more like Kindle. Font sizes were pretty much basic. With the two smallest ones, the smallest was too small, but the next one was a bit too large.

Most of mine are CBR, so no really good reason to return to stock. Thanks for that info.

KaiserJeep

Nov 14, 2011
One glitch to watch for when installing 1.4.1. When you connect to your PC and go into USB mode, IF you have an SD card with a bunch of files on it (i.e. NOT a CM7 card) the PC will see two seperate removable drives mounted. The first drive will be the removable SD storage (Drive K: in may case) while the higher letter will be the onboard NC ROM (drive L: in my case). If you drag and drop the 1.4.1 zip file onto the SD card, the update will never start.

So be carefull to drop the zip file onto the higher lettered drive. Then before disconnecting from the PC, manually eject BOTH drives, then disconnect immediately. If you stay connected, the PC will remount both drives a few seconds later (at least Windows 7 64-bit Home version does that).

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Yep, I did that the first time too! Had to go back and drag it to the internal memory folder then it took right off.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
OK, that makes sense. If you have rooted your device, the only way you can use the B&N update is to return to the stock software. If you dual boot (with an SD card), you can use the B&N update if you boot into the B&N software.

That is not exactly what he is saying....

Custom ROM = no B&N update
Stock ROM rooted and with CWR = no B&N update
Stock only rooted with stock recover still intact = possible/probable B&N update (which will break root)
Stock = B&N update (This includes those running CM7 or some other custom ROM directly from the SD card who have left eMMC alone.)

:)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Do we have to update manually or can we just sit an wait, as we did with the two previous updates, that the update comes in?....hope so....the easy way.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can wait to get an OTA but it really is just as easy to do it yourself. Download the update file from B&N, put it on internal memory not in any folder put the Nook to sleep. Boom update!

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I'll see what I can do....

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I have a dual boot set up with CM7 running off a SD Card. The 1.4 upgrade worked just fine. It's simple as pie to do it manually. Just download it, remove the SD card,connect the Nook to your computer, and drag the file to the Nook, then eject and disconnect. The Nook will take care of the rest once it goes to sleep.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you,Sue....the problem is my PC, I lended my NetBook to a friend , so I guess is faster to wait for the update to come in than to go get my notebook back..But 'll try my next door guys, very friendly.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Can't this be loaded from dropbox ?
That's how I load most everything now. Drag > Drop > click.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't think dropbox is supported on an unrooted Nook.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
As of right now, B&N says,"You can sideload the update here immediately at no cost: www.nookcolor.com/update. The free over the air (OTA) delivery to customers connected to Wi-Fi begins this week."

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Can't this be loaded from dropbox ?
That's how I load most everything now. Drag > Drop > click.

No. You have to follow the directions-connect to your computer and drag file to the Nook's root directory, or wait for it to be pushed to your Nook OTA.

The Dropbox app can't be installed on an unrooted NC. I've not tried going to the website directly though.