Question on storage displayed in Settings

jay1028

Dec 9, 2011
I have a 7012 and am a new user. I have a basic memory question.

Settings-Applications-Storage use ---ALL (Internal Storage)

At the bottom of the screen it reads: 176mb used 82mb free. I am guessing this is referring to the 256mb RAM. I can't see what is using this much memory. Is it just the OS?

When Running is selected, at the bottom of the screen it reads: RAM 56mb used, 51mb free. What are these numbers referring to? These numbers always add up to 107mb when some apps are running and when all are stopped. What is the 107mb?

Thanks

Jay

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yes it is the OS that is using your memory. Memory is used very differently, and accounted for very differently than you may be used to with a PC. That all being said, are you having an issue with available RAM? Or just trying to learn? I ask because those are different answers and resources to point you toward.

jay1028

Dec 9, 2011
Trying to learn this device. I am fine with a PC, but this tablet is all new. The 7012 is working fine and have had no problems so far. Even got Market up and running after a lot of tries. Figured out that the files in: gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip were the files that worked for me for Market.

Is there anywhere you can point me to for something like Android basics? I have been doing a lot of reading, but everything infers that you already know what you are doing. Took a long time to find out that tflash was the external sdcard for the 7012.

When you uninstall an app, does it leave anything behind like windows does? or is it really all gone?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Jay, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tablet. There's some basic Android information in the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning of the Android Tablet Q&A section. Worth a look?