Rooted SD cards on Ebay

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
We will always see someone trying to make money off of someone else's labor and off of those too lazy to do for themselves

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Spend an hour doing the research then spend the 15 minutes to root yourself.

Elric

Jan 27, 2011

I don't see a big problem with it, personally. They're thinking they can do the work of setting up the sd card for someone else who doesn't feel confident doing it themselves (despite it being simple) and possibly be compensated for it. If the customer wanted they could research it and do it themselves cheaper but many people aren't comfortable with that kind of thing.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I don't see a big problem with it, personally. They're thinking they can do the work of setting up the sd card for someone else who doesn't feel confident doing it themselves (despite it being simple) and possibly be compensated for it. If the customer wanted they could research it and do it themselves cheaper but many people aren't comfortable with that kind of thing.

IMO then you shouldn't be trying to root. If your afraid to do it then don't. It voids warranty and if your scared you will not succeed. IMO.

dpakrr

Feb 8, 2011
IMO then you shouldn't be trying to root. If your afraid to do it then don't. It voids warranty and if your scared you will not succeed. IMO.

my nookcolor should be here in a week and i have already ordered a class 6 8gb transcend microsd and plan to burn the honeycomb image on it myself.

but not everyone has the time or understanding to do so. even though there are a lot of guides out there which do a great job, people who are not comfortable with doing it themselves have every right to do go out and buy these. they are not that much more expensive than a blank microsd, so if they were going to buy a blank one but are worried, they might as well buy the ones which already come with the image.

these rooted sd cards are absolutely risk free. chuck the sd card in to boot to whatever image it has - froyo, cm7, hc etc. take it out to go back to stock. some people are just not confident doing it themselves. doesnt mean that they shouldnt get the most out of their nookcolor, given they paid as much for it as we did.

these rooted sd cards would be objectionable if they were explicitly overpriced but the ones ive come across so far seem reasonably priced. i want to do it myself tho as it is part of the fun but doesnt mean it is for someone else

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

All NC owners can restore their device back to factory conditions, restoring you warranty if need be. The Nook Color is extremely hard to break software wise so no one so be afraid of rooting their device. If you are scared, take it slow, read the proper info and try to map out your goals, one at a time the things you wish to accomplish with you Nook Color. That being said, IMO no one should buy any of these rooted SD card off ebay, since with good instruction which can be found here and elsewhere, anyone can root their Nook Color. It's a shame people on ebay and other places are making a quick profit on the work of others.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011

I don't really want to learn how to build a hotrod '69 Mustang, but I'd sure love to own one.. Should I only be allowed to own one that I built myself? Sorry, but your logic is flawed. If someone wants to pay for the service of rooting and not have to do it themselves, and they're willing to put the cash into it, then who are you to tell them they can't?

As for not making money off of other people's work, again, flawed logic. I did not invent the concept of reformatting a PC, yet over the years I've done it thousands of times for people that didn't feel confident in their ability to do it correctly and I've make a ton of money off of that service. Am I not entitled to compensation for my time and skill even if I'm using a process figured out by other people? If the people that developed the NC rooting process want to protect their process, they need a patent on it. As such, there is no patent, so it's fair game of someone wants to post an overpriced DIY in a box on Ebay..

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hey, I hope they all live by me! I made $50 rooting a NC for a friend. I didn't even set that price, just told her to pay me whatever she thought my services were worth. Without saying a word, she wrote me a check for $50.

Then again, people pay me to install free anti-virus software and anti-malware and clean up their computers, but that is also one of my businesses.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Hey, I hope they all live by me! I made $50 rooting a NC for a friend. I didn't even set that price, just told her to pay me whatever she thought my services were worth. Without saying a word, she wrote me a check for $50.

Then again, people pay me to install free anti-virus software and anti-malware and clean up their computers, but that is also one of my businesses.

Exactly, same situation. I have a friend who is just about ready to buy a NC and she's already told me that she's paying me to root it and make it awesome. I obviously won't let her pay me, but if she wasn't a friend, I'd absolutely charge for it. As easy as it is to root a NC, it still takes time to do, and time is money.