Safe to kill processes

nickburns

May 12, 2013
Currently attempting to free up some space for 2 issues.

The first being the notification that the tablet is low on space.
I assume this is just because I have many apps installed. In going through cleaning out unused apps, I noticed my build still had the phone.apk/.odex file. From what I understand, this should be safe to delete from my tablet as it does not have phone/dialer capability. I also found mobile data/mobile network config processes running and TelephonyProvider.apk/.odex files. Are these processes safe to freeze out and can telephony provider be deleted as well?

Secondary is when downloading market apps, I randomly get an "insufficient storage" error. From reading it appears that the cache size for the app store is small and the solution is to recreate that cache on teh sd card where it is not limited by the same partition relink to that location and the problem should be fixed. Has anyone else had this problem, know of a better fix, or knows that this fix sounds accurate?

Thank you

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Removing system files doesn't fix data problems, when you install apps from the market they are installed on data partition not system, unless something is wrong with your tablet.

nickburns

May 12, 2013
Makes sense that they would be 2 totally different partitions independently sized.
Is there a safe way to adjust those partition sizes? App or terminal commands?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There is no way to change the size of a partition unless you use livesuite and modify the partition size then repack the image. To have unlimited data and system I run tablets from sdcard. In your case most likely you will just need to uninstall some apps. What are your partition sizes?

busybox df -h

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I had time today so I checked my 9740 partitions, and for a Coby device they are rather large. Data is 2GB should hold many apps, cache is large as well as system, you can clear cache in recovery if you want.

Code:
vampirefo@Vamp:~/Desktop$ adb shell
root@android:/ # busybox df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                   407.1M     44.0K    407.1M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   407.1M         0    407.1M   0% /mnt/asec
tmpfs                   407.1M         0    407.1M   0% /mnt/obb
/dev/block/nandd        503.9M    242.3M    261.7M  48% /system
/dev/block/nande          2.0G    356.3M      1.6G  18% /data
/dev/block/nandh        503.9M      8.4M    495.6M   2% /cache
/dev/block/nandi         15.9M      4.0K     15.9M   0% /mnt/private
/dev/block/vold/93:80
                          4.3G      1.5G      2.8G  35% /mnt/sdcard
/dev/block/vold/93:80
                          4.3G      1.5G      2.8G  35% /mnt/secure/asec

nickburns

May 12, 2013
Looks like my data is nearly 80% so I guess I need to uninstall some crap and move a few over to sd.

Also, do you recognize the app store error for insufficient storage? or possibly the fix for it?

Thanks again

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Looks like my data is nearly 80% so I guess I need to uninstall some crap and move a few over to sd.

Also, do you recognize the app store error for insufficient storage? or possibly the fix for it?

Thanks again

No, never seen insufficient storage error.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
are you running android from the SDcard or just the apps, if your running android from the SDcard thats what I've been trying to do?

I run android from sdcard and have posted how to several times on these forums, one time with Coby 8042 cm10, and also with Lenovo a.2109