SD card help

johns777

Nov 27, 2012
Hey all,

Love the forum learned a lot so far. I got a MID9742 it is rooted and running google play now. Trying to edit the permission file for the sd card to be able to delete and write to it this file: /system/etc/platform.xml I can open it just fine but it will not let me save it anytime I have tried. I have used es file explorer and also antek explorer with no luck. When I go into superuser it tells me I have root access to both programs. What could my problem be?

Thank you - John

johns777

Nov 27, 2012
Trying to delete stuff from the sd card while it is in the tablet without having to use a usb cable connected to the computer.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
By default Google has made /mnt/sdcard not user accessible. If you're rooted, download the tweaks and a copy of framework-res.apk in my signature and install them both through ClockworkMod recovery. Both the tweaks and framework-res.apk will fix your problem and, in addition, will allow you to download some apps from the Play Store you couldn't download before, like Facebook and Chrome for Android.

For the record, the answer to your actual question is to edt platform.xml so that WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE looks like this:

Code:
    <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
        <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
        <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

Last edited:

johns777

Nov 27, 2012
Cool thank you. Works now for me to delete stuff using tablet. Any way to play apk files directly from the sd card? Havent seen anything about that. If so can you point me in the right direction?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You should simply be able to tap on the app and it will prompt you to install it. But if not, ES File Manager, which comes with the tablet, will let you install directly from /mnt/sdcard.

johns777

Nov 27, 2012
Sorry think I worded that wrong. Install to my 16 gig card the extsd not the built in 8 gig that calls its self sdcard.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The only way to change that is to change the mount points in vold.fstab so that the MicroSD is seen as the internal storage. Before trying this, make a nandroid backup in ClockworkMod.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Sorry think I worded that wrong. Install to my 16 gig card the extsd not the built in 8 gig that calls its self sdcard.

It probably won't pay to go to the trouble to try to run apps from anything but the internal memory. Android tablets just weren't designed for that, partly because the tablets refer to the external memory differently from tablet to tablet. Dangerous territory. I suggest you consider using the external card for all your data, (most docs and media can be stored there).

johns777

Nov 27, 2012
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like saving it to the extsd is way above my programming level. My only real use for the tablet is to play games on and it is filling up quickly with them so was looking for alternative ways to run them so I can store more games.