Should I get one?

moocow1452

Jul 2, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm not that big on the Android Tablet scene, but I know my way around rooting and romming and custom stuff. I have an old HTC Hero with CM7, and was maybe looking to add this tablet to my arsenal once there is a capable version of Android running on it, installing the GApps suite and putting Docs and Netflix (if it works) and jurying up a big navigation display with wireless tether and mock locations. (Maybe something hardwired over ADB?) Or installing the Amazon App Store and putting a bunch of Popcap games on the thing, and using it for ebooks.

Here's what I'm asking. I know it's a $100 dollars and you get what you pay for for something like this. But when the nearest competitor is one and a half of these, and you get all sorts of hardware goodies like OTG USB and mini-HDMI (allegedly), and the openness of Android and the community behind it, I really can't lose. I want to know if I bought this thing, are people working on making this the best sub $100 tablet evah and am I investing in something worthwhile, or am I just wasting money?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm not that big on the Android Tablet scene, but I know my way around rooting and romming and custom stuff. I have an old HTC Hero with CM7, and was maybe looking to add this tablet to my arsenal once there is a capable version of Android running on it, installing the GApps suite and putting Docs and Netflix (if it works) and jurying up a big navigation display with wireless tether and mock locations. (Maybe something hardwired over ADB?) Or installing the Amazon App Store and putting a bunch of Popcap games on the thing, and using it for ebooks.

Here's what I'm asking. I know it's a $100 dollars and you get what you pay for for something like this. But when the nearest competitor is one and a half of these, and you get all sorts of hardware goodies like OTG USB and mini-HDMI (allegedly), and the openness of Android and the community behind it, I really can't lose. I want to know if I bought this thing, are people working on making this the best sub $100 tablet evah and am I investing in something worthwhile, or am I just wasting money?

This is not a commentary of this tablet just a list of observations in response to the items identified in the quote above. Please post any corrections/omissions.

Last edited:

natura

Mar 3, 2011
I think your post said YES get one and I agree. I bought it based on price and knowing it could be fab. You know tons more then I..and... Just by few tweaks it runs tons better for me. Great gains being made in rom development thread here. You would surely be a welcomed addition. I wish, I was more useful but most of their talk is jibber jabber to me LOL. I do try behind the scenes but easily get overwhelmed spending hours learning I have yet no real knowledge to be of any help.

lorenii

May 2, 2011
It's a $100 tablet.

If you expect it to be an IPad, you will be horribly disapointed. If you want it to be an e-reader, basic game player (angry birds etc...), youtube viewer and an email terminal, you will like it. It is an entry level type machine and it does not have the support group of the big boys, so if you want to "tweak" it, you need a little bit of adventurous geek in your bloodstream WITH the fore knowledge that you may brick it and end up tossing $100 in the trash (or selling the parts on EBay and making someone with a broken case/ screen/ power supply/ dead battery VERY happy).

I would buy another one. I have two right now (one for me to toy with and one for my mother to use as an e-reader) and other than a few issues that DigitalGadgets has taken care of promptly, I have been happy with mine, not VERY happy, but satisfied in my $100 tablet kind of happy.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I also have 2 of the EX7's. ($99 @ CVS) I bought it KNOWING that it wasn't ever going to be Notebook computer or even in the same class as an iPad.
I considered it to be what it really is: one of the little tablets that they use on StarTrek TNG. Where an iPad would be a TriCorder. I can read a book or report on it. I can run Android apps and access the Net. here's the kicker... I do it all from bed. In the morning I don't want to get up and go to the computer. at least not until the News is over. I can check my FB and email. Look up more info on the news I am watching on TV. Plug in my speakers and play music while I am in the shower. Ask yourself what you are really going to be doing with it.
To go back to the ST:TNG comparison: I would under NO circumstances bring this on an away mission. I would grab an iPad or a Xoom. I WOULD, however, have one of these in my hand at all times while I was going about my day. (and I do) Free WiFi almost everywhere I watch Youtube waiting in line at the store or my Dr.'s office. Or even sneak in one level of Angry Birds waiting in the drive through @ BurgerKing (shhh. that's a secret! I would never do that while actually driving. Not even at a stop light!)
So again I say: Ask yourself what you really want to do and if it is close to what I described, ask yourself if you mind going that extra mile to learn a bit more to tweak it a bit to repair some of the short comings that can be annoying?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Or even sneak in one level of Angry Birds waiting in the drive through @ BurgerKing (shhh. that's a secret! I would never do that while actually driving. Not even at a stop light!)

Angry Birds owes me several screen protectors.....

Should I change my observation "...touch Screen/glass which can be broken by: children playing Angry Birds forcefully..." just "... playing Angry Birds forcefully..." or insert "you can break your windshield playing Angry Birds,.. ?:D

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
There should be a content warning: "The word 'ANGRY' is the name of the game. You WILL break something! Told ya so...."

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I have to concur with what everyone else has said so far. I use mine for reading, moderate internet access, and music. It hits all of those points just fine. If there was anything I would change about this tablet, it would be adding GPS to it so that it would be more useful in my car.

Would be nice to get back mounting the sdcard for file transfers, and it would be nice to have flash for hulu and netflix, but not really all that big of a deal.

Sent from my Behold II using Android Tablet Forum

lorenii

May 2, 2011
Doesnt Skyfire work on Hulu or Net Flix? I watch a lot of justin.tv on mine using skyfire....

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
you guys forgot to mention that we can use Skype and can make calls from it and chat too, at least mine works

Sent from my Sytabex7 Tablet

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
you guys forgot to mention that we can use Skype and can make calls from it and chat too, at least mine works

How's that working for you? I haven't tried it out yet, don't even have skype on the main computer, but I have been curious from time to time.

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
it works well in mine, look for the cracked apk thats on an older post right here under working Skype title, I can chatt and make calls from my tablet right on of course with a wifi connection

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
oh, and the answer for your question is yes; get one