So who picked up the Acer Iconia today?

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I'm hoping to head to Best Buy here in a bit to check out the new Acer Iconia. Anyone pick one of these up today? For those that did, be sure to let us know your first impressions.

overclockedi7

Apr 25, 2011
Definitely did I spent all of the release date in anxiety lol well couldn't do much about it since best buy was closed on easter the day this happened to be released. I am sending this from my new tab

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Just got home with mine a little bit ago. Gonna do a head to head with my Xoom after it charges. I will say this though. After playing with it side by side with the Xoom in Best Buy it is zippier, smoother and the screen looks better than the Xoom. Colors are more vivid and contrast is alot better. Build quality seems pretty good and it is lighter than the Xoom. I will give some better impressions after it charges and I can do some more comparing.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Bought mine today at BB.

Been using HTC hero on sprint for the last two years and this thing is a total revelation coming from android 2.1 running on slow hardware.

Compared to the moto xoom I have no regrets as both devices run basically the same hardware... except for The fact that the Acer is a hundred bucks cheaper and has a full size USB female plug which supports keyboards, etc.

My only regret is that the device didn't come with an IPS display as the rumored Asus transformer is coming with. I would rate the display as average at best. Compared to the display on the xoom I would say the Asus is about the same or slightly wore in terms of color, brightness, and contrast.

Anyway, totally in love with this device -typing on it right now in fact!

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Panda, having come from the g-tablet, this display looked beautiful to me. LOL. I'm sure there are better displays out there but I think that if we're not doing a side by side comparison we won't miss anything. I'm not doing color critical work on a tablet; I have my workhorse for that. I'd bet that most of us do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Panda, having come from the g-tablet, this display looked beautiful to me. LOL. I'm sure there are better displays out there but I think that if we're not doing a side by side comparison we won't miss anything. I'm not doing color critical work on a tablet; I have my workhorse for that. I'd bet that most of us do.

OMG I don't even like to look at my gtab. Luckily my wife uses it and I don't have to. LOL

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I would have a hard time looking at one now, too!

panda

Apr 25, 2011
I'm not saying the a500's display is bad - just that overall it w the one aspect of the device that left me soft of flat.

I'm not too much of a color freak myself but still I think most people would prefer an ips display over a tft one.

Enough nitpicking. This device is still awesome!

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
I'm not saying the a500's display is bad - just that overall it w the one aspect of the device that left me soft of flat.

I'm not too much of a color freak myself but still I think most people would prefer an ips display over a tft one.

Enough nitpicking. This device is still awesome!

Side by side with the Xoom the display really looked good. I imagine you would think the Xoom display is pretty bad. LOL

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Wow! I played with a Galaxy Tab for the first time today. If I were looking for a 7" tab, it would definitely be on my short list. I was impressed.