Standby Battery Drain?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well a wifi only tablet with wifi turned off is pretty useless to me.
My wifi is on 24/7 with wifi sleep policy of never. Takes less power that way than waking it up to connect everytime something wants to check twitter or your gmail socket times out and has to be reestablished only to find it has to negotiate another wifi connection.

There is a nifty little chart in Settings / Applications / Battery use. My chart is virtually flat except when the screen is on.
According to Battery Left Pro, I'm getting 24 hours and 22 minutes on a charge with routine daily use.

beastman

May 8, 2011
If you are watching a movie on your tablet, wifi isn't needed

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

fuzzface

Jun 3, 2011
Mine seems to drain a lot of battery on cell standby. I've got airplane mode w/ wifi on, hopefully that will solve te cell standy prolem. Any other tricks I could use to make mine last longer between charges?

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
I don't see airplane mode mode making any difference and it is almost impossible to test.

I left mine sit for a day or so and it used 59% on cell standby, not a bad effort on a wireless only model, come on Google sort this crap out.

Pete

ScottW714

May 26, 2011
Those percentages aren't daily, so if your cell was on for a month, turning it off for one day will be unnoticeable.
Not sure if a reboot clears them, but worth a try.

plemme

May 16, 2011
If you go to settings/about tablet/battery use/ you will notice that display uses the most juice (reducing your brightness will extend your battery life considerably) second on that list is should be cell standby, this is for the expected 3g models wi-fi only models obviously have no use for this. Acer for some reason have configured it so it runs even WHEN YOUR TABLET IS POWERED OFF. OK here is the fix .. CAREFUL there may be consequences READ THIS FROM BEGINNING TO END THEN DECIDE FOR YOURSEL

1. you need root, busybox and a file manager. if you do go on to step 2 if you don't this fix is not for you .
2.go to system/apps/ scroll down to phone.apk rename to phone.bak (at this point if your tablet wants to foce close reboot your tablet)
3.Once phone.apk has been renamed to phone.bak you need to rename telphonyprovider.apk to telephony provider.bak done!
VERY IMPORTANT YOU WILL NEED TO RENAME THEM TO .APK BEFORE 3.1 UPDATE OR YOUR TABLET WILL BRICK
IN OTHER WORDS WHEN YOU GET NOTIFIED FOR 3.1 UPDATE DO NOT APPLY IT RENAME AND RESTORE ALL YOUR ORIGINAL FILES UNROOT THEN UPDATE ....

FOUND THIS TO INCREASE MY BATTERY LIFE ALMOST A FULL 2 HOURS p.l