Strange Chrome Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

otuatail

Nov 12, 2017
Hi. I have been using google chrome on my Samsung galaxy fame tablet. When I closed down the last tablet. Chrome would close down and I would have my tablet background / wall paper.

Now when I close down the last tab I get a black screen with a plus sign on the top left. What has happend? I can no longer close down chrome.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Are you sure you have a Samsung Galaxy Fame tablet? Samsung did make a Galaxy Fame, but it was a budget smartphone from 2013 running Android 4.1.2.

Regardless, the behavior described is normal behavior for Chrome and has been for years now. Press the home or back buttons to exit Chrome. When Chrome starts, press the plus key to generate a new tab.

otuatail

Nov 12, 2017
Yes it is a Samsung Galaxy Fame tablet
Phone-: Samsung Galaxy Fame
Tablet-: Samsung Galaxy Fame tab-e

The tablet used to exit chrome when the last tab was closed. I have done this thousands of times. I never got a black screen with a top left + sign. Clicking it opens up chrome again with the home page and one tab. This may have to do with incogneto. I should be able to remove chrome extensions but cant find the route.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Samsung's own nomenclature is to refer to that device as the Galaxy Tab E (see here) and not "Galaxy Fame". If a carrier is using "Galaxy Fame" to market the device, it's misleading. Now I understand you've done this thousands of times, but Chrome is perhaps my most frequently used app on both my Nexus 6 and my Galaxy S4 before it. I know how Chrome works, and what you're seeing is expected behavior.

Chrome on Android does not support extensions, which is why you can't find a way to remove extensions.

otuatail

Nov 12, 2017
So I have had my Samsung tablet for 2 years now and chrome has only recently in the last 2 weeks behaved as it should do. I think I am intelligent to know that is bull ****.

When I closed down the last tab in the browser it vanished / removed itself from the tablets working memory. Now it has changed the way it works and this has only started happening in the last 2 weeks.

clicking on the hamburger (Right hand side) has new tab / New incognito tab / settings.

If I want to close down chrome I have to force it by bringing up the applications running menu (don't know the name for that side thing with 2 white boxes) or by switching it off.

otuatail

Nov 12, 2017
Got this from a GOOD android forum.

forums.androidcentral.com

baldpaul
Go into Settings -> Apps scroll to find Chrome and select it. Hit the Disable button.

gardenstatefan
Awesome!! I can browse free again...finally. thank you baldpaul.l

It's called get a life :)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
We could go back and forth on this until we collectively turn blue in the face. One thing I do know is that this behavior didn't start happening as of two weeks ago. It has been occurring for far longer than that. So while I could call shenanigans on your comments, I'm not about to. You're entitled to your opinion.

You are however not entitled to insult this forum or its membership. While it is humorous in that the solution given was to completely disable Chrome, presumably to install a different browser, your comments before and after are unacceptable. Telling someone to "get a life" is out of line, as William Shatner found out after his infamous skit on Saturday Night Live.

I'm not going to touch your post, as I want others who see it to understand that there are consequences to the actions we take. But as for you, this is goodbye.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.