Suddenly can't install anything from Android Market on A500 - or can't find apps

kanjigirl

Dec 23, 2011
I've had this tablet since November and had no problems at all with Android Market. Today I can't install anything - it just says 'waiting to install' after I click Download in the Market app, and nothing ever happens. The one I'm trying now has been running for 20 minutes with no errors or changes on the screen.

I have almost 11gb free in internal memory, about 27gb in the external card. The tablet's not rooted, I have a good WiFi connection (at home, where I installed most apps).

I've tried clearing both the cache and the data for the Market app, no difference. The app is up to date.

When I visit the Market going through the browser and search for the apps that never installed today, it tells me they're ALL installed, but they're not in my apps list and their icons didn't show up on my home screen like usual. I don't get it.

Please help, I don't know what else to do here.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This kind of thing happens occasionally and it usualy has something to do with server side maintenence, just give it a little time and you should be ok.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Have you rebooted the tablet yet?

Might be a good idea. Also, you haven't installed any non-market apps have you?

Occasionally, the market app will switch Google accounts if you have more than one account in the "Accounts and Sync" settings.
So make sure the market is using the right account and wait it out.

Everybody is probably taking today off work, and watching cheap movies and downloading cheap songs, and Activating and Installing apps on devices they intend to give to their kids for presents, so the market is probably swamped.

So like Tom said, wait it out if a Reboot doesn't fix it.

kanjigirl

Dec 23, 2011
I have rebooted, that didn't change anything. I only have one Google account on the tablet.

I haven't downloaded any non-market apps. Also, the last app I got successfully was about 2 weeks ago, and if I look at My Apps that's the last one showing in the list.

I used the file manager (Astro) to see if I could locate any of the apps that the Market says are installed from this morning, and none of them are on the tablet. Still can't install anything from the Market, I just get 'Waiting to Install.'

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
So where are you located? In the USA? Are you using the USA market?

Which Market version do you have (Settings / Applications )

I went to the market and installed some random free app, and had no problem. (Not that it helps you any).

Have you been able to try a different WIFI router, maybe visit a friend, or a coffee shop or something?

kanjigirl

Dec 23, 2011
In Colorado, US Android Market. The app version is 1.0.28.

I've tried installing some random free apps, same results. I haven't had it out yet to try another wifi source, but will do that shortly; but all other apps I've installed here at home over wireless with no problems.

kanjigirl

Dec 23, 2011
Acer support just told me to do a hard reset. That worries me given I've had this tablet less than 1 month...

I have the Google backup option checked and also have backups through Lookout - do those backup apps, though? If not, is there a way for me to get My Backup Pro or any other backup app onto my tablet from my computer, since I can't download anything?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Acer support just told me to do a hard reset. That worries me given I've had this tablet less than 1 month...

I have the Google backup option checked and also have backups through Lookout - do those backup apps, though? If not, is there a way for me to get My Backup Pro or any other backup app onto my tablet from my computer, since I can't download anything?

You don't have to backup app. You bought them and can download them again free of charge. There is no point in backing up .apk files unless you have an app from some odd place (non market) such as if you beta test apps from a developer or are hanging on to an old version for some reason.

You can back up apps to local .APK files with many file managers and Lookout, but its not clear if they will back up all the data, or just the .apk.
Backing up your data to a MicroSD card is the best bet. Your photos, music, movies etc can all live on MicroSD. Then just remove it for the factory reset to make sure nothing happens to it.

If your calendar, contacts, documents and music are all in Google apps, then you lose none of that stuff either. Yay Cloud!.

Reset (paper clip in little hole) does not lose anything anyway.
Factory reset (settings / privacy) pretty much does lose everything.
Not sure what he means by a hard reset...

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
In Colorado, US Android Market. The app version is 1.0.28.

Wait, What? 1.0.28???

The current market app version is 3.4.4
(settings, applications, (all tab) / scroll to Market, tap, see version at top.).

Maybe you should try
Settings / About Tablet, System Update first before you try anything else?

kanjigirl

Dec 23, 2011
Icebike, I tried to do a system update this morning and then a little while ago at a coffee shop, both times I got this message: "Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue." I had a strong wifi connection in both places, not sure why I can't update.

Will move my music to the external card if I do go ahead with the factory reset, thanks for the tip.

kanjigirl

Dec 23, 2011
Well I feel stupid. The last time I used PDANet Tablet was before we went on vacation a few weeks ago, and I forgot to clear the proxy. All my downloads are installing now and I've done the system update.

Thanks for your help; glad I didn't have to do a factory reset but now at least I know what to do in that case.

seanote

Dec 1, 2011
ive been trying to connect to the market for two days and keep getting a grey screen that says "no connection" . Any help

Rick

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Read the message immediately above yours and make sure you didn't make the same mistake.

Also you should tell us what version of the OS you are running and the version of the Market app.

Last edited: