Tablet won't turn on

loisvcamp

Sep 9, 2011
I bought my tablet less than a week ago. All of a sudden, it won't turn on. No response from the power button. Should have plenty of battery power, but just in case , I plugged it in. The power indicator is lit, but the tablet still will not turn on.

Any ideas?

linux4kix

Sep 9, 2011
Have you tried holding in the power button until the buttons on the front flash, about ten seconds. Then wait a couple of seconds and try to power it on.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

loisvcamp

Sep 9, 2011
Yes, I have held the power button as long as 30 seconds -- no flash. Tried just tapping the button -- no flash. Pretty amazing since I was using the tablet about an hour earlier and everything was fine.

loisvcamp

Sep 9, 2011
I spoke with Vizio. (Great customer service). My unit is DOA. They will replace it, or I can return it. There is a forced start procedure (perhaps a forced reboot). That did not work, so back it goes.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Sorry to hear about your problems.

Can you share the steps for the forced start procedure?

pvanwagner

Oct 13, 2011
I went to Vizio's website and on the live chat was offered a replacement within about 90 seconds. They want me to check with Sams Club first to see if they'll take it back after 60 days.

If that doesn't work then they'll send me an advance replacement which requires a credit card hold until the dead one gets return.

Over all their customer support was friendly and customer orientated. It'd been a while since I got fast courteous service like this.

My device failed within a day or two of getting the latest update. About two weeks ago. Anyone else have that issue? It may have just been a coincidence.

PS - my issue was the battery icon would come up with a red bar across the bottom and not charge or turn on even when plugged in.

Last edited:

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
I have not had any issues but nice to know that Visio is backing their product so well!

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
@loisvcamp & @pvanwagner - I'm glad to hear your experiences with Vizio cust serv were good. Mine was too. They have cross-shipped me a new tablet to replace my current one which has a bright pixel. I couldn't believe how cool they were and how easy it was to deal with them.

If you are on Facebook, it would be cool to visit the Vizio page and comment on the following thread in defense of Vizio customer service. One guy blasted Vizio about his negative experience with their cust serv and said Vizio doesn't stand behind their products. I certainly feel bad for the guy, but I commented to his post to share my own positive experience.

If you want to contribute to the link, add a comment to it:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...59512806636.128435.41223516636&type=1&theater

If that link doesn't work, you can find the post under their recent update regarding the Netflix update for the vtab.

vtec26

Dec 19, 2011
Can you share the steps for the forced start procedure?

My Vtab also wouldn't turn on today after charging for 2 hrs. Spoke to customer service and it might have been something wrong with the charge as it did feel hotter than usual. I was advised to keep an eye on the charge temp of the tablet and if it's hotter than usual, the carging port might be faulty causing the processor to overheat and freeze on boot up.

The procdeure for the force start is:
1) make sure tablet is unplugged from everything. press and hold both volume buttons on the side; while holding the volume button press the power button for a couple seconds and release the power button while still holding both volume buttons
2) at this point, one of two things happen. For me, the buttons on the bottom flashed once and nothing else happened (no bottons lit up, no splash screen on the tablet screen itself). i released all buttons after about 30 seconds and tried to power up normally and everything worked.
2a) or, instead of getting the usuall "V" splash screen, you will get a hidden menu. If you get to this menu, you can release the volume buttons now. FYI - the touch screen will not work on this menu.
3) use the volume buttons to scroll through the menu to "Reboot Now"
4) press and release the power button to essentially "select" or "ok" the option
5) a forced reboot should begin and hopefully everything comes back up normally

For me, I'm keeping an eye on the temp of the tablet when charging and will exchange in store if there's any hint of additional problems.