Take it back!

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
The SYTABEX7 is worthless. SYLVAINA is worthless as well. 3 weeks and no response to my emails. MONTHS OF UPDATES that dont work! I have never been so pissed off at a CXo. in my life!!!!!!

I am Taking BOTH of my SYTABEX7's back for a full refund and will spend at least an hour telling the Mgr that they shouldn't be selling defective crap! I will remove my Scripts from CVS and go to a different Pharmacy. NEVER HAVE I BEEN SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PISSED OFF!

BEAW

Mar 17, 2011
I am Taking BOTH of my SYTABEX7's back for a full refund and will spend at least an hour telling the Mgr that they shouldn't be selling defective crap! I will remove my Scripts from CVS and go to a different Pharmacy. NEVER HAVE I BEEN SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PISSED OFF!

You know, I guess my expectations are incredibly low but, despite its many shortcomings, I really like my Sylvania Tablet Express. I can surf the internet with pretty reasonable speed. I have used my SD card to transfer ebooks, pictures, and music to my tablet. I have even been able to use the Tablet as my all in one entertainment center on my daily train commutes between Carlsbad CA and San Diego CA. For 99 Bucks, I am extremely happy.

I still wish I could download directly but what the Heck!!!

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
you got lucky and got a working one. I have spent almost a month trying to get mine to work. NEVER WILL I BUY SYLVANIA AGAIN!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
you got lucky and got a working one. I have spent almost a month trying to get mine to work. NEVER WILL I BUY SYLVANIA AGAIN!

What were you expecting from a $100 tablet? It is obviously not the quality of a $400-$600 tablet. And no where near the hardware of even a $300 tab.

cainm13

Mar 2, 2011
CVS and Sylvania isn't to be blame, after all, you weren't suppose to ROOT and HACK it. For $100, everything advertise did work. It was perfect to web surf without a PC, given that if we could get Flash working.

If they only got screen auto-rotating, for all the apps that required it. And if all apps that I wanted to work on it did work, it would be perfect, but that's the same for $500+ devices, not all apps work on those either.

For $100, worked as advertise I'd say.

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
CVS and Sylvania isn't to be blame, after all, you weren't suppose to ROOT and HACK it. For $100, everything advertise did work. It was perfect to web surf without a PC, given that if we could get Flash working.

If they only got screen auto-rotating, for all the apps that required it. And if all apps that I wanted to work on it did work, it would be perfect, but that's the same for $500+ devices, not all apps work on those either.

For $100, worked as advertise I'd say.

I agree, for $99 its an excellent deal. The orientation issues and battery life sucks but other than that its a pretty handy device and handles things pretty well.

I think some people make the mistake and compare these types of devices to like an ipad or a samsung galaxy tab. With those expectations you will never be satisfied with a device that costs $99. You have to keep this tablet within its proper context and it bodes rather well against tablets in the same category like the Velocity reader t101 or 103, the Archos 7, and the Criag CMP 738a tablet that sells at CVS in certain areas.

JPardee

Mar 26, 2011
I agree, for $99 its an excellent deal. The orientation issues and battery life sucks but other than that its a pretty handy device and handles things pretty well.

I think some people make the mistake and compare these types of devices to like an ipad or a samsung galaxy tab. With those expectations you will never be satisfied with a device that costs $99. You have to keep this tablet within its proper context and it bodes rather well against tablets in the same category like the Velocity reader t101 or 103, the Archos 7, and the Criag CMP 738a tablet that sells at CVS in certain areas.

100% agreed. People are spoiled with their newer Android devices, and don't take into consideration, its only a $100 device.
When you go to a phone company and get a phone for a penny with a contract, don't expect much.
Same goes with cars, TV's, anything... You get what you pay for.
For those like me, who have never had an Android device, and only want this as a browser and media player, it is awesome.

I am waiting on my upgrade from Digital Gadgets.
Feel free to read my post:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/11382-sylvania-sytabex7-owners-must-read.html

JoseGala

Mar 28, 2011
The fact is not $100 or $1000 but the inexact presentation, the duality of models, the never update UPDATER, the never working USB and not HMDI...
Similar situation with the selective Customer Service... never worked for me
For the smart people that believe a $100 is nothing and it is OK not to work properly because it is cheap, I will return mine so you can get it...
I will need a lot of luck to get the refund in CVS, they are not familiar with returns...

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
JPardee, I let my phone ring all day calling DG. I guess I need to get on the phone nice and early tomorrow morning.

I did have some luck installing LauncherPro via a direct APK download. It is a much nicer looking and easier to customize Launcher. Actually looks "real".

If I can just kill Phone.apk without screwing up the device I think it will work fine. I am not afraid to try it but would really hate to brink this device.

Does anyone know if a full system reset can overcome a rooting mistake?

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
JPardee, I let my phone ring all day calling DG. I guess I need to get on the phone nice and early tomorrow morning.

I did have some luck installing LauncherPro via a direct APK download. It is a much nicer looking and easier to customize Launcher. Actually looks "real".

If I can just kill Phone.apk without screwing up the device I think it will work fine. I am not afraid to try it but would really hate to brink this device.

Does anyone know if a full system reset can overcome a rooting mistake?

Yes, if you have a full recovery/restore option (I think the SYNET7LP with DG2.02 firmware is the only one) it will put it back to how it came out of the box. Removing the bluetooth, telephony, and phone apk's is pretty safe. I'd suggest makign a backup copy of them on your SD card or somewhere, so if you start to get alot of "force close" errors or soemthing you can copy them back to the /system/app folder.

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
Thanks ImagineThat. I was able to rename Phone.apk, I got an incessant stream of "Application closed" warnings until I managed to shut the tablet down. On start up no warnings and Phone.apk not eating up all my memory.