tether iPhone to galaxy for internet?

srose

Aug 19, 2011
Hi
I am thinking about purchasing a Galaxy tab 10.1. I have a jailbroken iPhone with PDANet on it, I was wondering, if I get the WiFi Galaxy then would I be able to forward the 3G connection from my iPhone to the Galaxy? I can do this with my laptop.

Also what is the honeycomb marketplace like now? Are there a lot of apps?

Thanks

frankp2491

Aug 19, 2011
Yea, this is a general networking question but yea. I have substantial background in computer science and a small background in networking.

All tethering means though is, the device considered tethering is putting out a signal. What that signal is for pertains the functions/ purpose your are trying to serve. So if a galaxy tablet has a wifi capability, and the iphone has the tethering capability then obvious response is yes. I use to tether my droidx so that my Xbox360 could run xbox live when I was living at college. So I am 100% positive that the galaxy will run off your network. But for future reference you should know that tethering refers to a lot of things not including INTERNET. Just an FYI not trying to be rude because some people might be rude about it considering people get paid a lot of money to do things even this simple.

EDIT: I didn't see your question on the marketplace. So I apologize for that I will answer that now. I have an Iphone as well, I also have a macbook Pro, so as you know as a fellow iphone user the app store for apple is impeccable. Nearly flawless, but I like you did not want an ipad i wanted to give droid a shot, so I did i purchased the galaxy tablet 10.1 Last night and have been using it nonstop since just so i can teach myself everything. Android AppStore is better for free apps, android app store for phones is CRAZY, its in my opinion as good as the apple one... just with a lot more free things in it. As far as the tablet market its very small, or at least that i have experienced so far. I know they are working vigorously to upgrade it and make it better day by day. My problem with it is that they dont indicate tablet apps vs phone apps like the apple app market. But apple is extremely through and also has 2 generations of tablets out... so im cutting android slack and sticking with it because in the long run i know android will keep developing. Plus its good to have a device that runs OSX and Android incase you ever want to code games/ apps for either you have the ability to...

Last edited:

Genkilljoy

Jul 29, 2011
A bit self serving and long winded but he is right....The galaxy will see it a a hotspot and connect...However I her there was going to be issues and problem with IPhone tethering ablities, I believe thru AT&T. Do a Google on the matter...if so break the ties with apple and get a good Android phone. Or get a little hotspot mini router from one of the carriers.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Yea, this is a general networking question but yea. I have substantial background in computer science and a small background in networking.

All tethering means though is, the device considered tethering is putting out a signal. What that signal is for pertains the functions/ purpose your are trying to serve. So if a galaxy tablet has a wifi capability, and the iphone has the tethering capability then obvious response is yes. I use to tether my droidx so that my Xbox360 could run xbox live when I was living at college. So I am 100% positive that the galaxy will run off your network. But for future reference you should know that tethering refers to a lot of things not including INTERNET. Just an FYI not trying to be rude because some people might be rude about it considering people get paid a lot of money to do things even this simple.

EDIT: I didn't see your question on the marketplace. So I apologize for that I will answer that now. I have an Iphone as well, I also have a macbook Pro, so as you know as a fellow iphone user the app store for apple is impeccable. Nearly flawless, but I like you did not want an ipad i wanted to give droid a shot, so I did i purchased the galaxy tablet 10.1 Last night and have been using it nonstop since just so i can teach myself everything. Android AppStore is better for free apps, android app store for phones is CRAZY, its in my opinion as good as the apple one... just with a lot more free things in it. As far as the tablet market its very small, or at least that i have experienced so far. I know they are working vigorously to upgrade it and make it better day by day. My problem with it is that they dont indicate tablet apps vs phone apps like the apple app market. But apple is extremely through and also has 2 generations of tablets out... so im cutting android slack and sticking with it because in the long run i know android will keep developing. Plus its good to have a device that runs OSX and Android incase you ever want to code games/ apps for either you have the ability to...

Tethering in the context of a tablet forum and a sub thread about iphone is fairly well understood. Note since your iphone is jailbroken it should allow you to srrve up wifi. Only be careful coz some apps that serves up wifi do so in adhoc mode which the tab does not support unless you are rooted. Make sure it serves up infrastructure mode

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

caddygrrl

Jan 7, 2012
I have an Iphone 3gs, and just bought a wifi samsung galaxy tablet. I can connect my iphone to my tablet through blue tooth. the tablet then gives me the option to 'use for internet access" Although when i click that option, the iphone attempts to connect via blue tooth, the iphone gives me an error saying "device not supported" so i am unable to use my iphone as internet access for my tablet.

i tried it with a samsung phone through att and it did not give me the use for internet access. only iphone does it, but then it doesnt work
! suggestions??

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
In order for this to work for an iPhone you have to have one of two setups:

1 - Tethering/hotspotting enabled by your carrier (iPhone Settings - General - Network - Tethering & Hotspot)

2 - Have your phone Jailbroken and have a tethering app from Cydia

AFAIK the 3Gs can only do Bluetooth tethering.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
the tablet can work with PDANet Tablet version - no reason i cannot think of why it cannot work with jailbroken PDANet on iPhone
with 3.2 a lot of apps work well with HC - while there are not as many tablet native apps, there are plenty of use useful apps phone and tablet native that work very well

Hi
I am thinking about purchasing a Galaxy tab 10.1. I have a jailbroken iPhone with PDANet on it, I was wondering, if I get the WiFi Galaxy then would I be able to forward the 3G connection from my iPhone to the Galaxy? I can do this with my laptop.

Also what is the honeycomb marketplace like now? Are there a lot of apps?

Thanks