The CW - TV viewing app

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I am hooked on the show "Arrow" and have used the CW app a few times to watch it. I ran it a couple of times in ICS before upgrading to JB, so the issues I have with it seem unrelated to that. Anyway, it crashed nearly every time I changed the window size (going to full screen from the mini viewer) but it turned out there was an option in the settings to always start videos full screen that got around that. But every now and then, the video will get off a bit with "square blotch cancer" that will sometimes correct itself in a few seconds and sometimes not. Last night it didn't happen until about 5 minutes from the end, so it isn't happening crazy often. The player does keep track of where you were if it crashes, so after a few seconds when it didn't correct, I resized to small and back to full screen, causing the crash, ran again and it picked up where it left off and I watched the rest okay. Obviously, this is far from optimal. Quality is fine when the stars align, which is most of the time. Any tips on things to try (shutting other things down? settings?)

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
So today there was an update for the app. I installed it with high hopes. I no longer get inconsistent results. Now it crashes immediately every time I try to play any video.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
what is this app? you get it from playstore?
Yes, it is the official app with over 100k downloads. So right after my previous post, I un installed it. Then I figured it was worth a shot to try a fresh install. It works! I can't say for sure that it is better yet, but it is at least working...

dieseltown

Jan 28, 2013
Looks like an awesome app.. Im not much of a TV person.. Any particular show you recommend someone checking out from the app?

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I like Arrow. CW does play a lot of ads, but that's how they make their money. They are one of the top US broadcast networks ; several of their shows are fairly well produced and popular. I wish Hulu didn't discriminate against Android on their free site. They have good content, but detect Android and won't let you play their Flash content even if you have the add in working. They have an app for the pay site though.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
One last post after using the new one a bit. It seems solid and the video is good quality. I forgot that Nikita is a CW show; I like it also, but it has run a long time and begins to get a little repetitive. Anyway, my complaint thread is turning into praise. I suggest un installing the old one if you have it before trying the new one.