The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Achten787

Jul 21, 2011
Hello all, I've been interested in a tablet for quite a while. But when it comes to Android and the hardware i am a complete novice, so following the guidelines in the first post, this is what i'd like to be able to do with the tablet.

1) Internet Browsing (including Adobe Flash), Email, Skype, Games, Internet Radio, Photos
2)up to $300USD
3) at least 7 inch screen, with horizontal and vertical positions, zoom by pinching and pulling the screen.
4) Complete novice when it comes to Android, but i am very good with Microsoft Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7, as well as Apple OSX 10.5/10.6, and iOS 1.0-3.0
5) NY USA

i have been finding several in expensive tablets on eBay, but i am very nervous about committing to purchasing a tablet from there before gaining the knowledge to purchase the right one for myself. The one that i have been interested in is a "MID" M009 with Android 2.2, any help with the product information and or manufacture information would be a great help as well.

Thanks!

tccochran

Jul 21, 2011
Hello. I'm looking to take advantage of the $100 coupon Staples is offering on their Android tablets but had a major question I was hoping someone could assist with.

1. The tablet will be used for internet browsing, games, videos, possibly navigation, and hopefully work.

2. I'm looking to spend around $400 after the $100 coupon is taken off. Xoom, Thrive, Galaxy, Asus (all 10.1") have been the ones I've been reading reviews on.

3. 10.1"

4. I've had a Droid X since last September and am a pretty avid user. I've never used a tablet. I'm comfortable with the Android operating system and am a pretty decent troubleshooter when need be. I've never rooted my phone but feel I'd be able to get that done if I ever had wanted to root it or my root my new tablet.

5. Northeast Ohio

This is the thing I'd most like to be able to do with my tablet and I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me whether or not it will be possible:
I teach math and I would love to be able to use a stylus and some sort of sketch application to work through a multi-step problem on the tablet. I'd also like to be able to record my pen strokes (with or without audio) so my students are actually able to see me work through the problem step-by-step after I post the video to my website. SMARTBoards and Promethean boards include software that allow this to be done and the end result is a video similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAof9Ld5sOg
I
would absolutely love to be able to create similar videos at home using a tablet. Does anyone know if this is possible on a tablet? If so, which tablet do you recommend I purchase and what apps will I need to use to create this type of recording?

Thanks!

tcb

Jul 21, 2011
Hello guys,

Need an advice.
Well, I would like to buy an android table (cheap one). I want to be able to:
  • browse the web (with flash support)
  • run some apps from the market
  • wireless
  • firmware upgradable
I have been reading your forum and also others. But so many things out there that I'm really confused. Max amount to spend in $200 USD or €140 Euros (I'm an European guy).
Here are the ones I saw so far:
  • Ibex Flytouch 3 8GB
  • Ibex FacePad 8GB
  • Haipad M7 MID - Capacitive 7 inch Apad - 4gb
  • Dropad A8i / SamPad M7i Android 2.3 Tablet PC - 7.0" Capacitive
So based on this, can you help me?
Many thanks.

squatre

Jul 24, 2011
Dear Xaueious,
So thoughtful are you to have provided us with some questions to consider when selecting our new tablets. I love the dictionary that I located in one of the FORUMS as well. I must say that i have read so many suggestions and bits of feedback about all the different Android tablets available that I have confused myself beyond repair. i must resort to using your questions and hope you or some kind soul has a recommendations for me. This will be a significant birthday present from my husband to me for my "Medicare qualifying year". As one of the earliest of the baby boomers I arrive at this FORUM equipped with the swagger of my generation. The calendar says 65 but my brain says 19 so..I am ready to purchase a snazzy new tablet. I must admit to being surrounded by a gaggle of iPad owners who believe it to be the end all/be all. Only my daughter and I are Android holdouts and we have a firm grip on reality. OK, to the questions. I will take them one by one.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps Indeed, all of these plus HDMI, wifi, Navigator, expandable memory slots, USB, I want to use the tablet to replace my phone for watching MyVerizon TV channels, HBO GO /apple download movies (I hope I can get those on an Android tablet still) whilst working out on the treadmill at my local gym. Gorilla Glass and AMOLED would be wonderful features as would a good placement of the speakers. Dual core processor and Tegra (?) video card (I think that is the name) I teach online and moderate several FORUMS and need to be able to do that whilst in a car, train or plane so I can keep in touch with my students using course management software embedded within my college website. I can do this on my first generation Motorola Droid phone currently. I love to play thinking puzzle games of the Myst genre of old. (I would gladly give my right breast to find an app that would play Oddworld (circa 1990s PC game with great creature appeal.) I need PDF reading capability. We have 3G in our location and will likely get 4G by 2013-=14 or so. I would like to "face-to-face with my students and I believe that there is an app out there that allows use of the front and rear facing cameras akin to the Facetime feature of the iPad. (I do love that because I travel a lot and would liike to use such a feature to keep in touch with the fam and students. (Egads, am I asking for too much from such a device?)
2) how much you are willing to spend Money is not too big a factor so up to $700 is OK. I am not rich by any means; I just know that I can not get the features and dependability on the cheap. I prefer dependability since I am not willing to spend days trying to figure out what is wrong with the device. Time is more important to me. Low frustration is important to me. I really do not want to risk a stroke because I am irritated with a poorly vetted device. I hope that makes sense.
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be Here's the rub isn't it. I love the feel of the iPad with its nicely beveled edges and smooth (almost too smooth) back. I have hefted the Asus or Asis Tablets and they seemed rather boxy to me but if that is what there is; I could put up with it. I saw a pix of the Toshiba Thrive and it had nicely beveled edges but I was unable to touch and stroke it to see how it felt. I have read that there is a long learning curve with the Motorola Zoom and I do not know what is required with the Thrive or Galaxy Tab/
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate I have had a first gen Motorola Droid cell phone on Verizon's network which works well in this area. I love in Bend , OR and drive to SF frequently so the network covers that entire area nicely. It also covers the area where I camp and backpack as well (Yes, the tablet goes backpacking with us) I built a computer in the 1990s or whenever the processor speeds were around 333 MHtz and one could send documents over the internet at 28.8 speeds. I used directions from the internet and it still works, albeit slowly. I can troubleshoot most problems on my computer and am going to try to root my Motorola Droid just to see what happens.
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) Done and Done.
Please forgive the length

Oh, and I just saw an ad for a tablet that had an addendum to it saying that buyers could upgrade the Honeycomb 3.0 tablet to the 3.2 version by following the instructions in the Marketplace (app store?). My question is; Is v 3.2 available and what will it add to my tablet.
Thank you all.
Susan

Last edited:

TheHutch27

Jul 25, 2011
Recently i got the SuperPad 2/Flytouch 3 and while it's a great cheap tablet to buy, It is a Resistive single touch... My question is, what would be a cheap/cheapest android tablet that has Multi-touch (2-Point touch) and if preferable, has a NON resistant touch screen (One where you don't have to push in more) A screen that's at least 7" would be all i need, and I'll be using it for gaming that requires 2 fingers.. My shopping place is basically Ebay, thanks to anyone that can answer me =)

So basically i need a tablet that includes

- Android
- 2-4gb At least
- NOT a resistive touch (If possible)
- Multitouch (2-Point)
- At least 7"
- Best for Multi-Touch Games
- Price range: Cheapest possible (I can be flexible)

sharp124

Jul 26, 2011
help plsssss,,, from where i can buy a original "ibex flytouch 3 superpad 2" (latest version)
my location is london (uk)
1:looking for flytouch 3 superpad 2 original. 8gb or 16gb,
2:can we use skpye video chat in it, mic is builtin ?
3: whts the original cam pixcel, 2 or 1.3??
so confuse :( and upset has been checked too many websites and ebay aswel,
problem is everyseller saying other tablets r fake my one my is original lolz pls if any have a good experiences with its purchance so pls help me send me tht proper link for the website or ebay list no. will be very thanxfull for ur help.:cool:

charger_medic

Jul 28, 2011
hi I am needing a tablet with official google market, atleast android 2.2, bluetooth and wifi, this is for installing in a vehicle and will only serve a couple functions so need cheapest possible storage capacity and all that dont really matter. thanx
also i am in the u.s. and would like to find one smaller than 7" but will settle at 7 if have to

Last edited:

Alexium

Jul 29, 2011
Hi!
I need to buy a tablet, but I'm kind of lost and asking for advice.
Criteria are as follows and must be met:
1) Android 3.0+
2) USB host
3) under $600, avaliability in Europe
4) brand (not a "noname")

Secondary criteria:
1) 10"
2) fast hardware

This is kind of urgent, any suggestions are welcome, I just need a list of good models for further investigation.
Thanks in advance.

tel

Jul 30, 2011
I just went to the local electronic store to look at all the tablets they had.
Xoom was heavier than the rest of the tablets but i liked the look of it.
Thrive was good, but for some reason the touch was really slow, it was running android 3.01, maybe that was the reason...?
I was surprised by the Asus, it felt good in hand, seemed solid, liked the sound and display quality, but didn't like the copper colour casing much, that's ok though.
Acer Iconia was pretty good too, was running Need for speed no problems with other programs running in the background, i didn't like the square casing it had but hey, it was the cheapest one there i think.
No Galaxy 10.1 unfortunately

Popsie

Jul 31, 2011
Hi
I am an iphone user and have no clue which is a good android to purchase and which to steer clear of.
I want a low cost adroid wireless device purely for kids to play games on at home such as haypi kingdom and the like.
Could you please recommend something?
Thanks

Popsie

Jul 31, 2011
PS im in Australia

Hi
I am an iphone user and have no clue which is a good android to purchase and which to steer clear of.
I want a low cost adroid wireless device purely for kids to play games on at home such as haypi kingdom and the like.
Could you please recommend something?
Thanks

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Popsie, welcome to the forum. You've asked your question in the right place.

elemento911

Jul 1, 2011
Popsie, are you looking for a Honeycomb tab or are you okay with older versions of Android? I bought my son an Archos 101 and he loves it. Pretty durable tablet for all that he's put it through too. ;) Good luck..