The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

george047

Aug 2, 2011
Hi:cool:I want to buy a tablet.
I live in india
My budget is $115
need g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash for playing cityville in Facebook .
Good screen,smooth interface.
Screen size 7inch or more.
I donno how proccessor speed and ram depend on performance.
Main use is to ebook reading And viewing videos.

Last edited:

ditzidaizi

Apr 23, 2011
I have been checking out all of the great tablets online and made it into a store last week just to check things out. I was told that with a smart phone (motorola droid x2) and a laptop (even though it runs hot hp tx2000) that I don't need a tablet. I want one anyway if I can find one to meet my needs.

I would like the tablet to be 7" or larger. The device needs to run 2.3 (buy lower is ok if flash included) and it needs to have usb and micro ports as well as bluetooth and wifi. I would be using the tablet mainly for web browsing, basic picture editing and arranging as well as downloading and organizing my music library. I can use quick office for any word editing I need to do. If I could find something that I could copy and paste music etc only my phone too that would be great! I would like to spend under $400.00

I have been looking at the archos 101 but am drawn to the xoom... What else is out there that might meet my needs?

BTW I LOVE android and am a devoted fan and user!

Missouri USA

gk74205

Aug 3, 2011
Greetings all.

I am considering buying a tablet in the very near future for myself and my mom. I already know what I am going to get if I get an iPad, but I was hoping for an alternative to Apple. I already have a 4G wifi modem and I don't need something that touts overpriced 3G or a similarly priced wifi version...

So I was shopping around and found out that the Acer Iconia Tab A500 was in ample supply at the local big box store at a very good price compared to the other tablets available.

I was hoping people could persuade me to finally pull the trigger and go Android and buy the tablet.

Here is what I want/need the gadget to do:
1) View websites + SAVE websites
2) Print website
3) Video playback (HQ vids, including H.264 and DivX)
4) VPN
5) Run apps designed for smartphones aesthetically
6) Remote access PC (I heard this is possible :D )
7) Video chat (I heard Skype doesn't do video on Android, but I may be wrong)

Requirements 1 and 2 are for my mom. It is something I don't think I need, but she absolutely wants.
It a MUST regardless of what people think.

Also, what happens to apps designed for smartphone on tablets? Android is still new in Japan and Android smartphones are still a very small minority. So Android tablets are even more scarce and there is little or no apps designed for tablets. This includes the earthquake related apps I REQUIRE. So I would really like to know what apps for smartphones usually look like on tablets. (The stores do not installnor allow anything to be installed on the samples provided... grrr...)

Is the Acer Iconia A500 a good choice for the above tasks?
Do you guys have recommendations on apps I may need to fulfill my requirements?
Also are there any cases people recommend?

Any and all related input is appreciated.

Thank you!

Shakenbake158

Aug 3, 2011
Hey, I own an Iphone 4, and I wanna give Android a try. At first I was gonna buy an ereader. But now I figured I wanna try Android. So my budget is about $200, I have been looking at the Elocity A7, and the Coby MID7022. What one do you guys think I should get, also any other recommendations?

All help is appreciated.

athos

Aug 6, 2011
Hi, I'm in Singapore, planning to buy a tablet or Kindle for my wife. She will have an iPhone 5 soon, and likes reading on the Train and browsing internet at home.

Requirements:
1. So size shall be 6 or 7 inch, easy to hold;
2. I hope the tablet is not too heavy.
2. Kindle is about US$189, so my budget is around US$200

Besides Requirement, I still have a few technical questions:
Q1. Some post says "Kindle Internet browsing is slow and not suitable for advanced sites." Is this true?
Q2. How does Android Tablet has 3G internet connection, does it need a SIM card? does it need a monthly data plan?
Q3. How does Kindle has 3G internet connection, I head it needs NO SIM card NOR monthly data plan, is this true in Singapore? How is the speed?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Aug 7, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Something to tide me over until the Bionic comes out. I'm travelling in 2 weeks and need something for movies, games, & internet browsing. ASUS Transformer looks great but just too much for a temporary device.

2) how much you are willing to spend

Under $200. Would prefer $150 or less. I don't want to drop a lot of money on a tablet that is going to be eclipsed by a phone in 4 weeks.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

Something comfortable enough to watch a movie on a plane.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

I'm in IT...very computer literate.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

Ohio

jeme223

Aug 7, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
i want adobe flash, and... i am not exactly sure what else i want.. I do want something with a good amount of apps and is usable to take notes on, make documents, powerpoints, and other things ill need to do for school (my tablets main purpose), however good games and movie playing capability would also be a huge plus (sounds more like a want an all around tablet... i guess i do haha) also, i want a wifi only tablet. I also need something durable (im in my senior year and its gotta last me through college...) i also would like expandable memory or atleast something i can hook up to my pc... and finally multi touch (sorry this is sorta confusing... ill edit it later to be easier to read haha)

500$ or less maybe up to 600, but its kinda unlikely that ill pay THAT much...

something of decent size... 9-10 inches would be nice

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
i am quickly learning alot about droids, but i am very computer literate.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
im in Virginia....

so far i am thinking about the Xoom, Tab 10.1, or the ASUS eee transformer
I do have a quick question though... if i get a droid 3.0 honey comb will it automatically update to 3.1 or 3.2 or whatever is out now?

Last edited:

MaTaX

Aug 9, 2011
So i bought the Acer recently and it looks like there is some problem with the Wifi on the most recent update, and the only fix I've found is to flash a custom ROM to make it work, way too much work than I want to deal with, I still have a week to take it back and possibly get a different one but I want to make sure that any of the other ones out that aren't all having similar problems. Is this just on the Acer side or android side.

I'm posting here to see what everyone else has and if they've had problems or know of problems with wifi and the likes of certain tablets?

ubernoobw

Aug 11, 2011
My sister is going to college and she wants a tablet.
I was thinking about the viewsonic gtablet but I'm not completely sure about getting it. I'm probably gonna get it and buy it off of amazon.
Is that a good choice? It must run flash and have office applications. At $260, I think its a good deal compared to the iPad.
We would also like a good flexible/foldable keyboard that doesn't need too much pressure on the keys. And also something similar to the iPad's smartcover so she could actually see the screen while typing.

*edit- Is it possible to print documents out of this tablet/or at least store the said documents in USBs?

Last edited:

scbadboy

Aug 12, 2011
OK, I got ripped with a fake flytouch, and I'm on the market for a new tablet

games, internet, and using it as a remote for my home theatre unit through the xbmc app
definately needs enhanced 3d, g-sensor, flash, and hdmi output, multitouch capacitive.
would prefer somthing dual core.

looking in the 150-250 range possibly 300

would like 10" but 7 will do

adroid is fine to deal with

Canada

I'm not opposed to buying from china, or any site really, just as long as the product is what it is.

thanks everyone

Adam

c74

Aug 12, 2011
Hello people.
A new member here, planning on being more active than lurker once the tablet is purchased.....
I woul appreciate your help in decision making

It will be used while travelling to watch videos, play games etc... without having to get my laptop or netbook out. My 5 year-old son may get to use it too (instead of using the macbook) to watch videos.
Video chat, especially with a mac would be nice, as my new job will probably make me go on mission in foreign countries. GPS is not required, as I already have it on my Desire HD. MS Office files editing is a plus, but also not an absolut necessity, as the laptop will be coming along during the missions.

200-280 USD

7" as I think 10" are too bulky for travel

I'm in IT support, but on "regular" desktop PCs. I know a bit about android, but couldn't code to save my life

Geneva, but I have familly in the US coming for a visit in September, so they can bring something with them if necessary....

So far, I have been hesitating between the Witstech A91 (gingerbread, flash 10.2 support, nice resolution, removable battery for long travels) and the Dropad A8x (Honeycomb soon). FOr the rest, I don't know the differences between their processors, and the RAM seems to be the same.

Thanks in advance for your input, or suggestion for any other tablet I may have missed (i know there's a load of them out there)

Have a nice day,
C.

greyarea

Aug 12, 2011
So first timer on the site and need some help choosing the right device

1) I have a 2 hour each way commute on public transport 5 days a week, primary use will be video playback as well as a few games so lots of storage would be good. Iplayer would be nice for when i'm at home

2) Would like to keep it under 500

3) Doesnt really matter as i carry a bag each day

4) A little, not a dev

5) London

Any ideas would be great

Cheers

fatherofnard

Aug 12, 2011
Hello people.
I am lookinf for some honest to goodness real life feedback on 2 of the andriod tablets I am looking to purchase... The transformer vs. the Toshiba thrive

I would like the tablet to ALMOST replace my laptop, I am a realist they just aren't there yet... I need flash, bluetooth, love the full USB and SD card features of some tabs, ability to run some type of office editing applications, play games, stream video (netflix, hulu, my own video media), HDMI full or mini, GPS enabled, ability to read external hard drives or flash drives, wireless printing is a huge must...

$599 USD

10"

I have a HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Facinate and I have rooted and unrooted many devices for myself and friends, Family

Southington, CT or Central Florida if not traveling

6) Battery Life
Will be traveling from the US to UK starting soon and I desperately need a tablet to last 6 to 8 hours and if need be I can supplement by using my laptop and phone... sitting on a plane for 9.5 hours might drive me mad...

I am looking to purchase this weekend or tonight (08/12) if I can get some good feedback from people already using these devices... need pros and cons and your experiences.. come on I know you guys wanna share your thoughts... please and thank you in advance

sansa

Aug 12, 2011
I'll buy a tablet 8 to 10. "Hey been looking for a chip that meets myneeds, but there too many different types.

I want a tablet that a minimum reprodusca 720p video (multiple formats, RMVB) and can surf the web seamlessly, you have usb, hdmi, wifi, read write word excel powerpoint pdf, watching videoson youtube etc

I do not want the tablet to play, I want to be more efficient inmanaging the information about my work and college, plus you can see videos of my favorite series on TV

any suggestion will be well recived

2) 150-220 max dollars

3) 8-10"

4)I know almost nothing of android

5) live in Dominican Republic in the Caribbean, in between Puerto Rico and Cuba

bumskee

Jun 5, 2011
DESPERATELY need help here guys.. can't seem to find a tablet with multi touch resisitive AND meets requirement for autodesk sketchbook mobile. Coby 7024 is close except for multi touch.. :( any thoughts?

1) autodesk SKETCHBOOK mobile!!
- 1ghz cpu + 512ram
- RESISITIVE, 2 or more touch point.

2) $200~500

3) must be 7~8 inches

4) not much

5) south Korea