The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

ds75

Aug 15, 2011
I'd like a suggestion as well. I'm looking for something I don't have to mess around with too much to get it up and going. All I really want to do is have a color reader (for kindle app, perfect viewer for comics), something that will store data/docs and play videos (for work). Since I'll be using it around the house or work, WiFi is all I need. Facebook, a browser, and youtube would be a plus. I'd like to keep it within the 300 dollar range but that's flexible. The size of the machine could be 7-10", I seem to like around 8 the best. Currently looking at the Huawei Ideos S7, the Dell Streak 7 or the viewsonic gtablet. Do you guys think any of these will run the apps I'm talking about? I just want it to work without having to root or mess with the device too much. I'm computer literate, but I do that at work so I don't want to mess with it during leisure time.

BluePriest

Aug 16, 2011
Considering buying a tablet.
500$ is the most I can go.
10" screen. (10.1 or whatever, just at least the 10")
Want it for flash games as my laptop is dieing and all I do is play flash games. The main flash game I play is called "Elements" (a card game) and it needs to be strong enough to handle that on at least low quality (dont know if thats possible for this price range and I would post a link to the game so people could test it out to see if it works on their tablet but i dont know if thats allowed)
Wi-Fi capable since thats all I really have is home internet.
Very good with computers, although I never used a tablet before since im cheap and dont upgrade very often.
3 that I looked at are the Thrive, Galaxy Tab, and Xoom. Not sure if any of those would work, but they seem like the top of the line for that price range.

Also, if there is a cheap one that will fulfill this requirement then that would be great, I just doubted anything less than 400 would work.

In the US.

Doesnt seem like this thread is active with people giving suggestions unfortunately..

Last edited:

Bertie

Aug 17, 2011
Hi,
First post, been reading a lot but so many opinions on slightly different subjects hard to make a decision.
Many sites say 'wait, something better coming just round the corner'. But going travelling in 2 weeks time, for 4 months to Australia and India.

Reasons :
Want GPS and map, even when no wifi and 3G switched off.
Would also like to do away with carrying a phone. So can use as a emergency phone if really need to, when stick in local SIM.
Would like to read Lonely planet off it, rather than carry several thick books.
Anything else is bonus. wifi web browsing, pleasure reading, casual games.

Criteria :
Has 'pure' GPS.
Battery life to last a day's worth of checking maps while backpacking (so 15+ hours of idle?)
Ability to easily switch SIM cards is a big plus
cheap, cheap, cheap. for short term disaposable (4 months) use
reliable, as will not be able to root it and deal with customer services in the back end of India
don't mind 7 inch or 10 inch (think 4inch smart phones too small for book reading, and not any cheaper either)
multi-touch capacitive screens is luxuary

been looking at many options but Huawei S7 and Flytouch 2?3?4?? etc seem to fit bill for cheap with GPS and 3G, although quite worrying regards stability and reliability

Thanks for any help
Jon

Aya

Aug 17, 2011
Hello everyone

I'm all new to this and searching for a birthday present for my husband.
He is also very new to android and usually not very good with all computer things!!

The tablet will mainly be for looking at PDF files. Firs, i wanted to buy him a kindle e-reader, but after doing a little bit of research, i found that a tablet would be much better for that use.
So, i started looking and searching and got a little bit lost loll!

Here's what I'm looking for :

low budget : under 200$ and even 160$ would be better...
Size : 7-8 inch would be good i think
Use : mainly for viewing PDF files, but would be nice if he could play some little game on it and a GPS would be awsome!

We are both newbies with android, and don't know much about computer specs, but i'm good with the use!

Thank you very much

Bertie

Aug 17, 2011
as the chappie bluepriest says above, is a bit of a quiet thread, but just so people know, after thinking hard on my own, i think the reliability issues for Flytouch, Huawei, Haipad etc is not worth it, and thus decided to try and find a cheap 2nd hand samsung P1000. bit more expensive but much more likely to avoid issues while travelling. and its a proven phone.
Hopefully can just download a free offline map, and thats that.

ls4d2

Aug 19, 2011
So, my iPhone is most likely dead. My contract doesn't run out for a few more months. In the mean time, I've just been using google voice for texting and that seems to be working thus far, but it'd be nice to actually have a device on me at all times in case I'm not at a computer. So, I started to consider a tablet. At first I figured I would just use WiFi and the GoogleVoice apps, but then I realized there are tablets out there that are unlocked and thought my unlimited data AT&T sim car would go nicely into one of those. I figured it'd be better to get a tablet instead of a cheap phone because when I get a new phone with the contract extension at least I'll have a tablet to use still instead of a cheap flip phone to put into storage.

After a brief study of the potential tablets, the S7 or the ViewSonic seem to be probable candidates as they aren't super expensive and also seem to support AT&T sim cards being put in them. Anyway...

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
It needs to be able to have me put in my AT&T sim card and get voice and data. If I have to mess with some settings/do some rooting, that's fine. I just don't want to have to buy another data plan. I'm a CS major, so I'd also like to try developing some programs using the Android SDK. Bluetooth is also important.
2) how much you are willing to spend
Preferably anything under $300. I'd rather spend the extra money though and get a great product if it's not too much more.
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
Any size is fine really. I care more about the weight I think.
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Pretty computer literate (CS major). Jailbroken and hacked several other devices without managing to completely brick any (yet). I honestly don't know much about android though except their OS names sound delicious.
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Bostonia.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Subarub4

Aug 23, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Really one program only is the Torque application from the android market I need to have bluetooth and GPS would be a plus

$280 max
I think a 7 or 8" would be fine since it will be window mounted.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

I know enough that I rooted my HTC evo

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

I live in the US

xxhalfelvenxx

Aug 24, 2011
I am looking to buy a tablet. I would obviously prefer it to be an Android one, but one of the most important things to me in selecting a tablet is video streaming capabilities. I was considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but as I was looking at it more in depth, I realized that there is no easy way to stream Netflix, Xfinity, or Hulu (which are the three places I would be most interested to be able to get on it). I guess I'm just wondering. How true is this? Will apps for these three places be released for Android soon? If not, is there some way around it or is there a better tablet out there to meet my needs?

I really don't want to go Apple, but the iPad seems to have so much more of the streaming apps/capabilities that I want...

PLEASE HELP!!!

allyourbase

Aug 26, 2011

Want flash, wifi, using primarily for school and maybe some fun

$300 or so

bigger the better

Not experienced with android but very computer literate

Texas, USA

paulsam7

Aug 29, 2011
help plsssss,,, from where i can buy a original "ibex flytouch 3 superpad 2" (latest version)
my location is london (uk)
1:looking for flytouch 3 superpad 2 original. 8gb or 16gb,
2:can we use skpye video chat in it, mic is builtin ?
3: whts the original cam pixcel, 2 or 1.3??

Try Googling for "iBex Flytouch 3" - the only TRUE Flytouch 3's (not rip-off clones) are from iBex. (I'm waiting for delivery on a Shenzhuan rip-off myself, and hoping I won't regret it.)

As far as I know, Skype video is still not supported.

1.3 mp camera.

Here's a link to a seller offering 8gb version: http://kquandry.com/sales/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69

Last edited:

CC268

Aug 31, 2011
I currently own an Ipad 2 and its pretty average, screen size is awesome, but its 16gig 3g and can hold about 3 movies, which is a bit lame. I am an expert at rooting android devices as I do it to both my Samsung Fascinate and HTC Thunderbolt phones. I love to root and customize my stuff, flashing roms, kernels, etc all the time. I am looking for the best thing out there that includes all features: bluetooth, 3g/4g capabilit BIG SCREEN (like the ipad, nothing really small), basically all the latest features. Preferably more than 16gb. Want to keep the budget at about what I paid for the ipad, so I guess $600 -$800 at the most. Thanks!

Sebz4n

Sep 1, 2011
Hey!

I am interested in buying a "cheap" Android Tablet, and I found this one, but is there any better for around 200 USD?

Rena3 Specs (177 USD):
Google Android 2.2
Dual Core ARMv7 Cortex A9 / 1GHz
512 MB RAM
4 GB Flash Memory (up to 32GB microSD)
7" TFT LCD with capacitive Touchscreen (800 x 480)
Front facing 1.3 MP camera
Built-in microphone & speaker
HDMI
Neat battery time

Planned to buy it here: 7" Capacitive LCD Dual-Core Android 2.2 Tablet PC w/ Camera/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/HDMI (4GB/Cortex A9) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Also found this lovely review:

So what do you think? Should I buy? Is there anything better?

Last edited by a moderator:

OldDirtyMerc

Sep 2, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for.
I'm primarily looking for good movie playback. If I can play a 1080p or 720p mkv file without re-encoding it, that's excellent. An SD slot is basically a must. USB ports and HDMI out are very nice to have. GPS a plus. I'd like Honeycomb as well.

As long as it's less than an iPad. I'd say $400, although I'm certainly willing to pay less :p

10 inch screen

I'm running cyanogenmod on my phone. Hopefully the stock firmware is good enough, but if it's not I don't mind re-flashing.

California

It's looking like I'm looking for one of the Tegra 2 powered tablets...

Jesslynh

Jul 30, 2011
Hello everyone,

I tried to search the thread, but didn't find anything.

I ditched my iPhone for a T-Mobile G2 phone and I love it so basically I am looking for an Android tablet that is similar.
- No vendor layer
- Pretty much basic Android
- More concerned about the previous 2 than pricing
- I'm not sure if I should care about the newer OS since I'm happy with 2.3
- Prefer 7", but will go larger if I have to
- Don't need GPS
- Need Wifi, Bluetooth and Flash
- NO mandatory data plan, my phone will hotspot

I haven't had to root my current device, but feel that I'm computer literate enough to do so if forced to get the functionality that I want. Any suggestions on tablets?

drearan

Sep 4, 2011
Hi, I'm new at this site and also new to the tablet world..I want to buy a tablet for personal use, like see flash videos, web surf, e-reader, streaming videos..that's about it..

I want it to be 10''
300$ or under
adobe flash and skype its a must
It's my first Android device..but I'm willing to learn how to root it
need wifi..HDMI por and usb..
I'm from venezuela..southamerica..

thank you

Last edited: