The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The Advent Vega is marketed as a UK product I believe. There will be more Tegra 2 devices soon, but it doesn't really make sense to buy anything other than the gTablet considering local after-sales support as well as community support at this time...

Everyone is just playing the waiting game

Loneukulele

Jan 16, 2011
Hello, I'm new here and hoping you all can help me decide on a tablet.

Budget: $250 but I'm willing to go to $300 if it's worth it.
Needs:
Android 2.2
SD expansion
USB port
Captive touch screen
Android Market

Would like:
Camera
Microphone
Bluetooth
Multi-touch screen

Don't need:
GPS
3G

There are probably more restrictions I can't think of at the moment.
I would mainly use this for Internet, so flash would be required.

I'm not in a hurry to get anything immediately, but I'd just like to know what's out there that would work for me.
Thanks

WASPMAN3

Dec 26, 2010
Would it be possible to pick up 2 tablets for say $500 with these specs and are decent.
2.2 Froyo Android based. 512 Ram,flash 10.1, 7-8'',Android market place. Valentine's Day is coming up and was wondering.

min10-2008

Dec 21, 2010
Hi All looking @ this MID on eBay (au) are there any brainiacs around - Xaueious for instance;-), that could pretty please have a look in there spare time & recommend if tab is ok or not? Mainly req'd for GPS, reading & games, surfing web/emails advice on which 3G USB dongle/stick is compatible? Current ISP '3' (Aussie cricket team sponsors) with E220 USB Dongle. Interestingly I rang '3' tech services & they said that the tabs are very hungry & chew usage really quickly? Trying to figure out which tablet & i/net connection would be best current dongle U/S on most new tablets.

10GB 10"ePad Tablet PC MID Android 2.1 WIFI 3G GPS HDMI (320644191228)
Member id e-touching ( Feedback Score Of 815
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)
99.0%Quantity: 9
Started: 17/01/11 at 17:40:12 for AU $255.00 (can make an offer any suggestions guys & gals?) plus $29.99 delivery.

Can some one please explain what 'flashing & rooting' means in Android/tablet terms

Thanks confused Min.

vince

Jan 17, 2011
i've recently been investigating the apple IPAD, and very much like it. however, 9.7 inches is just too big for me.

then i had walked into the office depot store, by chance seeing a couple of android tablets. one of them was maybe about 7 inches and the other maybe about 5 inches.

i'd prefer a 7 inch (or thereabouts) tablet.

i want to be able to use it as a word processor for microsoft word documents. i'd want to attach a keyboard for home, but use the touchscreen keyboard when i'm away from home.

also, i want to use it as an e-reader for a vast library of books, as opposed to my sony e-reader.

please, help me to understand something. is the android system a stand-alone replacement for the microsoft windows system or the apple macintosh system? are they mutually exclusive or are they compatible?

i've been using windows thus far on my laptop computer, but i'm tempted to buy an apple IPAD, unless android can duplicate it at a smaller size with equivalent functionality.

glenndm

Jan 18, 2011
Hello All,
new here and new at Android.
I quantify myself als poweruser/superuser on windows/linux type machines. At Android, a complete newbie, have not even touched one yet.
Now, though, I'm looking for a replacement for my stolen windows laptop. Main use is webbrowsing/applications and pdf reading.

I have some experience with iPad (my brother's). I like the form factor, but I really hate the webcentric approach of the device.
I was astounded it didn't have local or network file browsing - you have to buy apps for that ( imagine microsoft charging for windows explorer ?!)
To access my local network disc (pdf's and such) , I had to setup a webserver on top of it. even then safari would only open it if I use an external adress (192.168... is local and thereby forbidden!)

In short: not knowing Android
-Can android access/use local network discs? (like windows explorer and network shares)
-Can I save files locally on the device bypassing syncing?

I'm waiting for notionink's adam real-world reviews and comparisons - that one looks neat

regards
glenn

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Welcome to the Android forum and congratulations for escaping the Apple Matrix. In this world, we call Android, you can save and retrieve information direct to your sdcard or internal storage. What a novel concept. You don't even have to register you credit card or install proprietary software on your computer just so you can sync stuff. That behaviour is fot those fools still stuck in the matrix.

You can get software to browse networks. This might cost a small amount. There might even be free software to do this. I run VNC which is free and popular and allows remote access to windows and linux devices, as well as file transfer.

Sent from my Ideos S7

vince

Jan 17, 2011
what is the closest android equivalent to the IPAD?
i've recently been investigating the apple IPAD, and very much like it. however, 9.7 inches is just too big for me.

then i had walked into the office depot store, by chance seeing a couple of android tablets. one of them was maybe about 7 inches and the other maybe about 5 inches.

i'd prefer a 7 inch (or thereabouts) tablet.

i want to be able to use it as a word processor for microsoft word documents. i'd want to attach a keyboard for home, but use the touchscreen keyboard when i'm away from home.

also, i want to use it as an e-reader for a vast library of books, as opposed to my sony e-reader.

please, help me to understand something. is the android system a stand-alone replacement for the microsoft windows system or the apple macintosh system? are they mutually exclusive or are they compatible?

i've been using windows thus far on my laptop computer, but i'm tempted to buy an apple IPAD, unless android can duplicate it at a smaller size with equivalent functionality.

Troggie

Jan 18, 2011
@Vince The Android Platform is based off of Linux and is it's own operating system. They are normally not compatible and app developers must design for each differently.

If you are looking for a more refined product then you will probably want to use an Archos or Samsung Galaxy Tablet or the equivalent.

For editing Word documents I use an app called OliveOffice on my Android based phone but there may be a better alternative for the tablets that I am not aware of as I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Also there is a Kindle or Nook app for Android in the Marketplace you can download to use the tablet as an e-reader as well for all formats of ebooks.

One thing that Android has over Ipad is that it the capability to utilize Java and Flash which Ipad does not currently, so for some internet sites and streaming video sites if they do not have a dedicated app for the Ipad you can not use them.

glenndm

Jan 18, 2011
In this world, we call Android, you can save and retrieve information direct to your sdcard or internal storage. What a novel concept. 8<
remote access to windows and linux devices, as well as file transfer.
Sent from my Ideos S7
thanks pvella for your clarification. local file storage is indeed a daring concept :)
for the record, I think iPad is a wonderful device, but it frustrates me no end to find it's programmed to refuse me simple things I took for granted in windowsworld .

glenn

callouscrab

Jan 18, 2011
Hello,

I am looking for a hackable tablet (not too expensive) either 7in or 10in which runs a recent Android and has a camera. I was looking at the Archos 32 but the screen is too small and I found a lot of Chinese tablets for cheap, but with no information on the hack-ability.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
thanks pvella for your clarification. local file storage is indeed a daring concept :)
for the record, I think iPad is a wonderful device, but it frustrates me no end to find it's programmed to refuse me simple things I took for granted in windowsworld .
glenn

My gf has an ipad. She has lost her photos and contacts a couple of times because of itunes. Also we found that you cannot just install additional music or files on the road. If you sync up to someone else's itunes, you will lose all the music you already have. On an android device, you just plug it in and drag and drop your files. Backups are just as easy. You can even do a backup using software while you are away from any computer. In short, the android device does most things without the need for a PC. An iPad is tied to iTunes to do a lot of very basic things.

Another thing I like about the Android environment is that the application market is much more open and not controlled to the extent that Apple controls it's app store. The classic example is VLC. It was released on Apple iStore to much acclaim in the user community, then it was pulled from the store by Apple. This behaviour upsets the client base, and more importantly it pisses off developers who spend their hard earned time to build stuff the community, only to have it removed by Apple for unknown reasons.

princeshoko

Jan 19, 2011
HI , Im new here looking for advice.

IM eyeing the Kyros MID7015 just for price but rooting and some bad comments has me wondering if its worth the bother, i have a Samsung Intercept phone and it looks like its less on specs then my phone. I love the look of and features of the Xoom but its not out yet and will more then likely be to expensive for my taste Im gonna guess $499+ With Contract $599+without.

Any Advice ?
-------------------
WHAT I WANT:
10Inch
Front Camera
2.2+
Works well
Android Market
$299 -

I'll Settle For
7inch
works well