The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Qumad

Jan 12, 2011
We are looking for a low cost tablet for my girlfriend, she mainly uses laptops for browsing the web and facebook, one of her demands was that it had to be able to run these freaking facebook games (flash)

We have been looking at a EasyPix EasyPad 1000, will this unit do that?

Anyone that got this unit and can tell us about how You perceive this unit?

Allso how is the touchscreen? It's not a pleasurable device if the touchscreen is bad.
How about zooming, can this be done in an intuitive way with pinch maneuver?
And does it have the Android Markeds on it?

If you wish to have a tablet with full browsing experience you need one that has Android 2.2. If you want flash to run smoothly you need a Cortex A8 processor, preferably 1 Ghz. Anything less than that won't give you an enjoyable experience
So what kind of tablets would You recommend?

Main range of use:
- General browsing
- Facebook
- Facebook games (flash?)
- Youtube

Additional wanted usage (not essential ):
- Spotify
- Ability for picture editing
- Watch film

Minimum Features:
- 10" display
- Flash support
- WiFi
- Good responsive touch screen (Heard of people getting tablets they wish they had never gotten theyr hands on due to crappy and poorly responsive touch pads)

Additional wanted features (not essential ):
- Pinch zoom
- Multi tabbed browsing
- Android Market
- Video viewing abilities
- Speakers
- Web cam

Not needed features:
- G3/G4

Preferred buying location: Norway (Can go for other shops as long as they take Mastercard and the shop got a good trackrecord)
Price range: Around 320£ (If it's a good long lasting tablet I will of cause be willing to go a bit higher)
Need date: As soon as possible (I will be able to hold her off for a little while if there are better and affordable tablets on the way in the near future)

[Edit]
Added some more info

Last edited:

arguson

Jan 10, 2011
I don't know what's exactly available on your market and what's your price range... but I wouldn't buy anything without a Cortex A8 processor since you need decent flash capabilities and flash is a CPU hog.

There are some nice chinese pads coming out right now. Just look for a SP5V210 Samsung processor based tablet.

If you cannot wait and don't really need Flash 10.1 right now then go for something like HSG X5A (also: Coby Kyros MID7005, Herotab X5A) that is supposed to get an (un)official 2.2 update.

Jan 13, 2011
Looking to buy a cheap tablet to hold me over until I can get a high end version when they all eventually hit the market. Am looking for one no more than $200.00, and need it to look at PDF, Powerpoint, Excel and word files, as well as watch videos and connect to the internet (3G wont be used, so only wifi.) Flash supported will also be a huge plus! Want a 7 inch one as it will be easier to transport IMO. Was looking at there two, or any other anyone suggests...

Buy the Archos 7 Internet Home Tablet 8GB at TigerDirect.ca
Buy the Coby MID7015 Kyros 7 Internet Tablet at TigerDirect.ca

thanks all

Ayanamifan

Jan 13, 2011
I was hoping someone could take some time to help me out with a request.

My gf is looking for a tablet that is an ereader, so she can read books on it. But the problem is she also wants to browse the net, be able to chat with her friends (through gtalk) and be able to watch videos online (like youtube and any other site that streams video).

We're looking to spend about $100 if possible. She was going to get a Cruz, but I don't think its going to allow her to watch videos online or talk to her friends on gtalk.

Can anyone help us out?

jhndflpp

Jan 8, 2011
@jhndflpp Merimobiles has it as the Herotab M5, continuing their tradition of giving terrible names to generic tablets. You can also take a risk to order at Pandawill.

i went ahead and ordered it from "ever buying", so we'll see how it goes. they had paypal payment type, so if it never comes, it should be easy enough to contest. if it's d.o.a., then i guess i might be s.o.l. ;-) i'll post in the "Great places to buy tablets" thread with my results either way.

stalnakerz

Jan 13, 2011
Ok, I may be overthinking this but am having a hard time deciding on which android tab to get.

Needs:
10" or larger screen
Android market or slideme available
support for SDHC up to 64GB
wifi-N
Bluetooth
Flash (hate using m.x.x sites so full Flash support)

Wants:
Tegra2/cortex-A9
Android 2.2, upgradeable if possible
ATT sim support (not needed or required at all, but would be nice)

Was looking at the archos101, but it appears to not be able to do market or slidme. I'm willing to root but only if it's from an established dev group and there are unbrick instructions

diegoxcastro

Jan 14, 2011
Hi! Nice Website (;

I am looking and looking and found this for $250:

General

Processor Type

ARM 11
Processor Clock Speed
ARM 660MHz+DSP 550MHz+GPU
Processor / Manufacturer
ROCKCHIP
Processor Model
ROCKCHIP 2818
RAM / Technology
DDR 2
RAM Installed Size
256MB
Display Diagonal Size
7 inch Five Point Capacitive Touch
Max Resolution
800X480
Graphics Type
Integrated Graphics
Graphics Model
Support 720P
Storage and Expansion
Hard Drive Type
NAND Fast Flash
Hard Drive Capacity
2G(656MB available)
Hard Drive Spindle Speed
NAND Fast Flash
PCMCIA Expansion
T-FLASH(Support SD 16G MAX)

What do you think xaueious? Its a nice tablet?

Or i buy this for $180 (Gpad)?

Processor Type
ARM 11
720Mhz
Telechips TCC8902
256MB DDR2
7 inch
TFT 800X480
Integrated Graphics
Support 1080P
Resistive Tochscreen

Have this tablet too :

COBY "Kyros" for 180%

And the last:

Syvalnia tablet 7 for $200

Can you help me to choice? Thanks.

Last edited:

Mr Dasher

Jan 8, 2011
This will be for general hacking, ROM development, and so forth.

* 7-8" screen
* 800Mhz+ CPU
* Capacitive multi-touch screen
* 512MB RAM
* 4GB+ ROM
* SD slot
* Official market

One that has piqued my curiosity is the Locktec Wowpad2 but it's a bit pricey at $508.
Shenzhen LOCKTEC Co.,Limited

I'm looking for the same thing with the addition of internal 3G. I've been searching for a place that actually sells the unit in the link. I've found a similar unit.

Kinpad I600 7" Android 2.2 Flash 10.1, Capacitive 3G 800MHZ GPS, Send SMS,MAKE/RECEIVE CALLS

I'd be willing to pay 500 dollars if I could just find a place to actually buy it. In wonder if the specs are too good to be true. Maybe it's vapor ware.

MD

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Ayanamifan
For video streaming, your minimum investment is the Archos 70, which is closer to $300

@mikethegoalie32
Coby over the Archos 7 HT (v1 OR v2)

@cassiepena
It wont get Flash even if it gets 2.2, which is probably the more significant answer. Not sure if it will get 2.2, but there are efforts towards getting it to work.

@gdanko and @Mr Dasher
If you are paying that much, you should really invest in a Tegra 2 device instead, but a iMX515.

@diegoxcastro
Get the Coby Kyros out of those

@stalnakerz
What's wrong with getting a Viewsonc gTablet?

@munk1177
Depends on what you mean by bunk. They don't work perfectly, that's for sure.

Black18Ice

Jan 12, 2011
Don't forget about me on bottom of page 9...TIA. I am thinking of the Archos 70 or 101, just can't decide on the size.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Black18Ice Archos 70 is more portable. If you are going to be lugging it around campus it's the better choice.

@diegoxcastro I think you mean the Archos 70, and the answer is yes.

stalnakerz

Jan 13, 2011
@stalnakerz
What's wrong with getting a Viewsonc gTablet?

I'm Ok with Viewsonic, just not familiar with the G tab. It looks like the great folks over at XDA have been doing some work with it so I'm sure it will improve, but wanted some recommendations from here as well.

Was also seriously considering the Advent Vega, but it appears to either not be available in the US or has gone into a black hole.