The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

MrFastZombie

Dec 30, 2012
I'd suggest the Nexus 7, its pretty good, the only issue with it I can think of from what I read/watched is that it does not have a expansion slot.

virginie

Jan 28, 2013
Hi!
I am looking for a tablet for my 8 year old son.

* under $150
* good choice of free apps/game to install
* to watch youtube videos, listen to music, browse the Internet

thanks a lot

Last edited:

jamesbarns

Jan 29, 2013
I have to Google Nexus 7 and I love it to death. It is quick, light, and easy for anyone to use. I have never had it lag on me once and it also comes at a great price. Highly recommended.
---------------------------
James

Last edited by a moderator:

nitebleu

Jan 31, 2013
Hi everyone, I have been lurking the forum for a while and finally decided to register. I do need some advice on a tablet selection though.

I intend to install this in my car, so I am looking for a 7" tablet with an analog a/v input for a rearview camera. GPS is a must as is bluetooth. Having 3G/4G capability would be a bonus, but not necessary.
I'm fairly well versed with droids (Wife has a Bionic, and I have a Nexus 7 and the UG802 mini pc). I am notorius (much to my wife's dismay) about rooting/jailbreaking everything just to see what I can do with the toys. I have some experience with terminal commands in Linux and OSX.

Dhansak

Feb 11, 2013
Hi All

After much procrastination I have decided it's time get an android tablet and would appreciate any advice you could give :)

I am looking for a 10" screen tablet that is reasonably quick and stable. My main uses will be watching video (file local to tablet - not streaming) and gaming - with a bit of surfing too of course. Although I work in a technical role (routers/switches etc) I don't have any particular knowledge in Android land so poss not the best person to go around rooting things yet! .... also after a heavy day I'm more inclined to chill rather than do more techie stuff!

I live in the UK and would buy from a source there rather than direct from China. Budget approx £180 max - less is better!

So - I think I have narrowed it down to a choice of 3 (will consider alternatives of course)

PIPO M1
Sumvision Cyclone (the bluetooth version)
Ployer Momo 12

All experiences & opinions welcomed!

Many thanks
p.s. - also comments re connectivity to my bluetooth headphones (just for media not skype purposes) would be helpful - they are: Soundwear SD10 Bluetooth Stereo Headset. Have been using them with my android phone without problems - was amazed when a friend's Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10" couldn't even see them .... is this a common problem? Thanks.

triplefox

Feb 19, 2013
Use case
I have a conference coming up next month; I want a wifi device with a bigger-than-smartphone screen and enough battery to access Twitter throughout the day - assume that hotspots will be around often enough not to matter. As a bonus I would like to try using it for drawing, some light web browsing, and possibly app development.

Budget

No set budget, but I'm leaning towards the lowest-end devices at the moment. Improved standby battery life or wifi strength may justify upgrades.

Size
No preference - 7" should be big enough, but I'll be getting a carry bag regardless since I want both hands free most of the time.

Android Experience
No prior Android experience, but "power user/developer" would adequately describe computer experience.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Triplefox and welcome to the forum! Would you consider a 5.5" device, bigger than a smartphone? I did and I got the galaxy note and since then I haven't been carrying around my 7" tablet anymore. Besides, you don't have to relay on hotspots and you can draw with the pen it comes with. Battery life is great but you can always get an extra battery with charger, not expensive.Have funwith whatever you choose and enjoy the forum!

greenops

Feb 24, 2013
I'm looking for a tablet to be used as an ebook reader for my college ebooks. I also plan to do a lot of browsing on reddit and likely playing games too. I also do not want a tablet with restricted access to the marketplace (like the kindles are). My budget is 400 USD but that can go up or down a bit. I prefer a larger screen and a SD card slot would be nice. I've owned a Samsung Infuse for 2 years now so I'm not new to android (I also rooted it). However the 3 most important functions to me are that it is large so that reading a textbook or viewing an article is easy enough, that it be snappy on the web browser and that it supports flash.

What do you guys suggest? I'm not planning to buy it for about another month so if it's something coming out soon that could work too.

I'm looking at the Google nexus 10 right now.

Last edited:

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
Good morning everyone,

Long time follower with a VERY old HP laptop to replace.

We are looking for a tablet that is under $300 (we are very senior and on a budget), to use when we take our trips to see our kids and grandkids and great grandkids and great-great grandkids. We have wifi at home along with our desktop. My husband likes to play words with friends with the kids. Will mostly be used for surfing the internet and catching up on things when we are on vacation, etc.
Someone suggested we should've looked at a Motorola Zoom (sic) last week when it was on sale on a website but I couldn't find it. Would like to also use for skyping, we will store our kodak pictures from our camera on it once in a while so we can email them to the kids so I'm going to assume we should get one with a lot of memories and hard-drives?
Thanks for the help. We appreciate.
Melanie

Oh, a good size screen would be extremely nice for our older eyes. :) I also must ask this after being floored by the many choices mentioned on here. The cheaper the better for us but we'd also appreciate one that will last us as long as this old HP laptop

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi nakedland, I've noticed you are searching the whole forum for your answers...doing a great job! :) I noticed also that you are leaning on the kindle fire, which is great....I like the size 8.9" better then the 10"but remember that it has only a front camera,just good enough for skyping....If I recall you want to be able to take pics with your new tablet. Another thing that might be a problem is the fact that you need storage.The kindle lacks the slot for the sd card with wich you could extend the storage so if you buy the kindle with 32GB of storage,it might be a little more of what you are planning to spend ( $369). Sorry I cannot give you any suggestions though because all the tablets who have all the features you need, cost much more than 300.

05daytona

Feb 28, 2013
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and looking for my first tablet.

What I am really looking for is
ICS or Jellybean
9.7"-10.2" screen
dual core or better
play store built in not added in.
g sensor
HDMI would be nice
netflix would be nice
bluetooth would be nice but not a must

primary use will be web surfing, youtube, games, torque app.

I have only use tablets a few times so I am kind of new to android but have been using computers since the Vic 20 was brand state of the art.

I would like to keep the price under $200 but am willing to push it to $250 if I can get everything I want.

I have looked at the Zenithink C93, C94 and C97 but am not sure if the play store is built in or added in or the real quality of these units.
Just wanted to add that I have also looked at the Ainol Novo 10 Hero and Hero 2 and they look interesting as well.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Pie

Mar 3, 2013
Are Tablets that worth it?
I have a nice android phone (HTC Amaze)
A low end gaming laptop (Acer Aspire 5742G-6426)
What exactly do you do on a Tablet that I don't already do on my phone/Laptop.

That Tablet I was thinking of getting is the Nexus 7, but I have heard rumors of a new Nexus.

I am planning on spending around $200.
Other Tabs I am thinking of are the Kindle, Nook?(no), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.
Others that are not out yet:
HP Slate 7
Archos Platinum
The low price Acer one

Really what I am trying to get to is should I get the Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, whatever else, or wait for a new Tablet.
I would also like to have a tablet with a lot of accessories, I am tired of so little for my current phone. I'd mostly be watching videos and school stuff.
Also is the new Nexus 7 an actual thing at this point?
I think I'd prefer around a 10 inch tablet, but I don't like the prices of them.

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi pie, welcome to the forum! What exactly does one do on a tablet that one doesn't already do on an Android phone/tablet? Nothing more than enjoying it :)
One enjoys the lightness, the portability, the touchscreen! But you already know that because you want even though you are asking:-is it worth it to buy a tablet if you already have a phone and a laptop?– There are already good tablets out there without waiting for the new ones to come out, just get one now, don't postpone your joy, life is short and can be shorter....I can't believe I'm turning into a philosopher now! :-D And if you like the 10"size but not the price, just buy used on Ebay,I got a great Samsung galaxy 8.9" on e bay ! Good like and have fun with whatever you choose!

Mar 16, 2013
Hi, I'm new to this website, I'm thinking of 2 tablets and I'm wondering which one to choose. Should I get the ployer momo7 talent or the onda v801 with the a31 SoC. I know both of them are good companies but I seen much comprehensive reviews. The ployer tablets is cheaper and has a more open source gpu with a better resolution screen, but the onda has a better gaming gpu with of course the the better multitasking cpu.

Any other suggestions welcome :D The price range I'm looking for is under 160 dollars. What I will use the tablet for will be video playing, internet browsing, hardcore 3d gaming, moding, typing for a this website and others, and music playing (audiophile here)
As for my computer skills go I have used and installed a variety of operating systems and i have a version of linux on almost all of my computers so I'm pretty fluent.

Some of the features I desire are a fast and open SoC, good build quality, a good display, a fairly vanila version of android, google play, and bluetooth would be nice. Thanks in advance for helping. :)

05daytona

Feb 28, 2013
Anyone? Just thought I would check again as it has been 2 weeks since I posted this.
I almost got a Asus MeMo Smart 10 last week but the 149ppi screen made me not want it as much as the rest of the specs did.

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and looking for my first tablet.

What I am really looking for is
ICS or Jellybean
9.7"-10.2" screen
dual core or better
play store built in not added in.
g sensor
HDMI would be nice
netflix would be nice
bluetooth would be nice but not a must

primary use will be web surfing, youtube, games, torque app.

I have only use tablets a few times so I am kind of new to android but have been using computers since the Vic 20 was brand state of the art.

I would like to keep the price under $200 but am willing to push it to $250 if I can get everything I want.

I have looked at the Zenithink C93, C94 and C97 but am not sure if the play store is built in or added in or the real quality of these units.
Just wanted to add that I have also looked at the Ainol Novo 10 Hero and Hero 2 and they look interesting as well.

thanks in advance for any advice.