The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

eru777

Mar 17, 2013
Hello everyone. Can anyone help me decide on what tablet to buy/ if I should buy one at all? Thanks in advance
Tell us:
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
Anki reviews while I'm on my bed, and maybe when out and about . Openoffice spread sheets , and I want to ask if it's possible to search for individual kanji characters on a spreadsheet in an android tablet. Flash for youtube videos. GPS/ google maps or similar.
2) how much you are willing to spend
Max 200$
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
7" about that size, not bigger. I want it to be small enough to carry with me .
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Expert computer user, first time considering to buy a tablet though, android because I don't like monopolies and apple products are not for me (plus i want flash to watch videos sometimes)
5) Greece, Attica

undrood

Mar 20, 2013
Hello everyone! I'm currently looking for a Chinese tablet (because they are cheaper than the other ones), but it's hard to find one's way through the jungle.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
I'm going to be watching videos and reading eBooks, magazines in PDF format, etc.

What I need in the tablet is a 9.4 or 10.1 inch screen (9.4 is preferable). HDMI. It should have Android 4.1. Decent battery. Decent resolution (1280 x 800, for example).

About £200 or so.

As mentioned, I prefer a 9.4 inch display, but 10.1 could work.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I know a fair bit about it. Won't have any problems hacking around things (although I'd prefer not to)

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
I'm in Scandinavia, but I might end up ordering from China anyway.

The brands I'm currently looking at are Pipo, Ainol, Ployer and Cube. However, I've heard that a couple of these are not exactly known for good quality?

The tablet I'm most likely to buy is a rebranded Pipo M8 which is being distributed by a local company. This means that any problems will be much easier to deal with, and I won't have to start making manual changes to the OS to access Google Play. The M8 also has the 9.4" screen I'm aiming for.

I've also looked at 10.1" tablets Ployer Momo12, Ainol Novo 10 Hero and Cube U30GT, but I don't know which one is the safest purchase.

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
100% Google Play Store support, The Sims Freeplay game, Facebook and YouTube (on wi-fi without skipping or locking up)

Absolutely no more than $200 each (I'll be buying 3 of them)

I'd really prefer a 4:3 format 9" or 10" screen rather than a 7"-10" widescreen (I'll be reading a ton of books and webpages)

I am both Android and computer (Windows and Mac) Literate, and might want to get into modding Android tablets

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Central Indiana

Last edited:

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
Ok, I have narrowed my choice down to these two 10.1" tablets:

1 - Thrive™ 10" Tablet (16GB) powered by Android? 3.2, Honeycomb; 5 customizable Home screens (16GB) | Tablets | us.toshiba.com

or

2 - Motorola XOOM Family Edition (Refurbished) - Affordable Tablet PC with Free Apps - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
Xoom Specs:
Performance:
Operating System: Android 3.1 (Honeycomb); Upgradeable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Memory: Type: LPDDR2 SDRAM
Installed: 1GB
Processor: 1.0GHz nVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual-Core
Storage: Flash 16GB
Display:
Type: Capacitive
Size: 10.1"
Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Native Resolution: 1280 x 800
Input/Output Connectors:
Ports: microHDMI
microUSB
Audio: 3.5 mm Headphone Jack
Integrated Microphone
Integrated Stereo Speakers
Flash Media Slot: microSD
Communications:
Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Camera: Front: 2.0 MP
Back: 5.0 MP
General:
Keyboard: Virtual
Battery: Built-In Providing up to 10 Hours per Charge
Dimensions: 9.8"(W) x 6.6"(H) x 0.5"(D)
Weight: 1.6 lbs

In the box:

• Motorola SJ1655RA XOOM Family Edition 10.1" 16GB Tablet
  • AC Adapter
  • USB Cable

I really need to decide as sson as possible as they won't last very long at all!! They are both priced at $200. I want to know which is better based upon quality, updatability and compatibility with the latest Google Play Store games.

Thank you VERY much to anyone who knows these models and/or can offer solid advice!

Last edited:

undrood

Mar 20, 2013
The Thrive and the Xoom seem to be closer to $300 and $400 respectively according to those pages, though?

Shepard

Mar 22, 2013
The Thrive and the Xoom seem to be closer to $300 and $400 respectively according to those pages, though?
True, but you'll also notice that they are both old webpages and therefore "out of stock" and no longer for sale. I'm saying that I can get either one (refurbished) for $200.

I was hoping that someone on here would see my post and say to either go with one because of..., or stay away from one because of...
Either no one knows anything about them, hasn't seen this thread, or simply doesn't care enough to respond.

undrood

Mar 20, 2013
It's fairly easy to find reviews for more well known tablets. I tried to search for Xoom reviews, and there were lots of them.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
HI Shepard, if its not too late for you to decide, you should check the M otorola forum and the Toshiba one and ask your question there. If you are using the forum app ,you go to W ireless Carrier Backed Brands and you'll see the Motorola Xoom and Toshiba Thrive forums.

Nigelt

Apr 8, 2013
Hi all,

Could you help me choose a tablet for gaming? I need an affordable tablet that is responsive and it must have an RJ46 Ethernet port and Wifi.
Price range is around £100 - £200 ( $150 - $300). The tablet will be for my 12 year old daughter to play Mindcraft and agree birds etc. not much else. The biggest problem is finding a affordable tablet with the RJ45 port.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time.

Nigel

MINORTHREAT

Apr 15, 2013
My 9 year old son has an IPAD and his 3 year old sister is always fighting with him over who gets to use it. I jumped the gun looking for a cheap solution and bought a Kocaso M1052S from ebay. I didn't realize there were different types of touch screens so this particular model was a resistive touch and was hard for the kids to get used to after being used to the IPAD's touch response. I want to find the best features possible for under $200USD. I have found the Zeki TB1082B seems to have decent features for around 150USD. I'm not familiar with the processors that tablets use so there may be much better tablets within my price range. Any suggestions from seasoned tablet users would be appreciated.
Another question I have is regarding the operating system. Are you stuck with whatever revision comes on the tablet at time of purchase? I see different revisions of Android but how do you go about keeping up with the latest and greatest? It seems like a tablet sold today should come with Jelly Bean 4.2 on it.
Thanks for any assistance/direction.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi and welcome to the forum. Zeki is good enough for s kid,I guess... a lot of grown ups like it too for that matter! It doesn't come with google market, even though there is a way to install it, but it has getjar installed,so plenty of apps! I can't think of a better tablet below$200 , unless you would settle for 7" instead of 10",As for the os,a lot of new tablets are still coming out with ics ( ice cream sandwich) and they get upgraded later to jelly bean , not big difference really! I don't know if the zeki will get the upgrade though. I personallywould buy for a kid a 7"- tablet, lighter and smaller, better fit for a kid hands. So in which case the nexus 7 "would be a great buy, just to name one.

MINORTHREAT

Apr 15, 2013
I personallywould buy for a kid a 7"- tablet, lighter and smaller, better fit for a kid hands. So in which case the nexus 7 "would be a great buy, just to name one.
Thanks for the tip. $220USD for a 32GB refurb. This probably has a huge amount of support because of the name brand I bet. Custom tweaks and such. I think I'm sold. I owned an ASUS laptop and many mainboards in the past and quality is top notch.

kzoe

Apr 24, 2013
Hi everyone! I’m having a hard time finding the right Android tablet for a project I’m participating in. Can anyone help me?

The tablet will run a specific app which listens to sensor input and processes it.

Requirements:
  • Microphone, Light sensor, G-sensor, should hava a Front Camera
  • Wi-Fi, 3G
  • RAM: 1GB minimum
  • CPU: 1GHz minimum
  • Capacitive multi-touch
  • Google Play support

Price is unfortunately a big issue. Ideally it costs less than € 300 ($ 390).

Size: ideally 8” or bigger.

My Location: Austria

Viejo36

Dec 2, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking for 10.1 tablet. I'm in my Seventies. My needs may be different than most of you. I want to be able to Read (Kindle, etc.). Watch movies. Listen to music. Internet. E-mail. Play some games. AND LEARN NEW THINGS that the tablet can do. And like all of you I want the biggest BANG FOR MY BUCK!! The more I read about the tablets, the more I get confused. Some say Asus Transformer 300, 700 are the best. Some say Samsung Galaxy Tab II. Some say ''Try the new Chinese tablets (Pipo Max M9, Ployer Momo 23, Onda v972). I don't have any idea how to root a tablet. Is it necessary? The most important thing that I require of a tablet is that it is RELIABLE. (If that is possible) I am willing to spend around $300.00. (U.S.) I'm not looking for overkill. If I am not going to use IT, I DON'T NEED IT!! . . . Thanks