Transformer Prime battery life.

Dec 17, 2010
Asus says the battery life of the Prime (tablet only) is 12 hours - the same as the iPad 2.

Is this with the screen turned down to a minimum and no WiFi or Bluetooth?

How does the battery life compare to the iPad 2 when both have the same settings? (screen brightness, Wifi, etc.)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Asus says the battery life of the Prime (tablet only) is 12 hours - the same as the iPad 2.

Is this with the screen turned down to a minimum and no WiFi or Bluetooth?

How does the battery life compare to the iPad 2 when both have the same settings? (screen brightness, Wifi, etc.)
Are there any out in the wild yet? I know someone with a B&H preorder slowing going insane. ;)

-Matt

bhamitgeek

Dec 6, 2011
They are not out in the wild yet.... NewEgg has pushed their in stock date to the 27th.... Tiger *where I ordered my 64gb* says the 19th... so crossing fingers and hoping for a slightly early Christmas gift from work. :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Oh wow, I hadn't heard about newegg (I know Amazon customers are now certified insane). Don't be shy about starting a thread once you get yours!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I don't think they are. I was hoping someone would have already done some testing on the battery claims by now.

Not sure if you've seen this review, but it's pretty informative:

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime review | The Verge

It also includes some decent battery testing:

So a big update on the battery life. On our standard test with brightness set at 65 percent and power saving mode switched on, the tablet lasted six hours and five minutes — exactly an hour longer than when it was set to normal mode. Still, that's an hour shorter than the original Transformer, which lasted seven hours and 27 minutes on the same standard test (the same 65 percent screen brightness setting, etc). Asus maintains that the screen brightness is the culprit here, and I tend to agree with them — 65 percent brightness on the Prime is higher than on the original Transformer and most other tablets. I don't have a light meter, so I cannot measure the exact brightness equality amongst the screens.

However, there's another explanation for the shorter run time on our standard test: when I ran a video rundown using a 720p clip with brightness set at 65 percent and in power saving mode, the tablet lasted nearly two hours longer — yes, it ran for nine hours and 19 minutes. (By the way, video playback was extremely smooth at that setting.) According to Nvidia, Tegra 3 is optimized for video and thus doesn't use the added cores when playing HD video. Nvidia and Asus hold that the standard Verge Battery Test script keeps all cores active (even in balanced or power saving mode), and that those test results would be representative of somebody sitting down and playing a game like ShadowGun which draws on all the cores.

I am currently rerunning all these tests with the dock attached to give you an idea how much time you'd get with the extra cell, but I think it's pretty clear: the Prime is capable of running for over nine hours on a charge (even longer with the dock attached) with the screen being plenty bright, you just have to be mindful of what you are actually doing with the tablet and the power saving modes. Regardless, the battery life can be very impressive for the thickness and for the power inside.
-Matt

ziffos

Apr 17, 2011
Had an iPad 2 and the battery needed charging every day (I got rid of this iPad 2 to get my TF101).

My TF101 only needs charging every second day although I must state here that I use an app called Auto Airplane that shuts down my wifi between set "night" hours of my choice.

My Bluetooth is only on when I am tethered to my phone or am using my Microsoft Mouse.