Updating a Paid App

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
If an app I bought from the Market is updated, do I have to pay again or is that part of the original deal?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
SetCPU and the Market page says buy, not install. Just got it and it's worth the $1.99, but not $1.99/week :) The changes don't look that exciting, so I'll keep using the "old" one.

pustyak

May 10, 2011
Do you get any notifications that an update is available? If so, what happens when you push on "update" on the notification screen?

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
If an app I bought from the Market is updated, do I have to pay again or is that part of the original deal?

I have bought quite a few paid apps and I have NEVER had to pay to update them. Now some developers have come out with new versions of apps and changed the name slightly and charged for the new version. I "THINK" that in the Market TOS, the can't charge for and update but can charge for a new app. Not sure though.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Do you get any notifications that an update is available? If so, what happens when you push on "update" on the notification screen?
It says BUY at the bottom of the screen instead of INSTALL. I wasn't notified, I went to Appbrain and synced my apps with their data base.

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
It says BUY at the bottom of the screen instead of INSTALL. I wasn't notified, I went to Appbrain and synced my apps with their data base.

And you are trying to update through regular market ?

If so that is why you are being charged. The market can't see apps you get from App Brain or Amazon. You have to update them through original source.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@kabbie1882 Looks like you're right about that. I'll have to wait a while now because Amazon is still showing V2.1.3 and that's the one I have. The Market shows 2.1.4 and that's why I'm being told to update. As of now, when I go to it on Amazon my only option is to "Open".

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Problem resolved. kabbie1882 was correct, I had to update from the site where I purchased the app. Amazon finally got the latest version and I was updated w/o charge.

Jun 3, 2011
What Paid apps do you all recommend? My NC is Rooted, but my HTC EVO is not. Are you using Paid apps for work purposes, play or both?

Also, are the Paid apps a better advantage to Programmers? That definitely is not me LOL

beastman

May 8, 2011
My gtablet is rooted and my Evo is not. I have Documents to go, which I had prior to getting a tablet. CNN has a tablet apk which is free. Search xda.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Most times, if there's a free and a paid version of the same app, the free one contains advertising and the paid is ad free. Sometimes the paid one adds some features, but they're usually features I'm not interested in. You have to look at the descriptions and make a case by case decision which one suits your needs the best.

beastman

May 8, 2011
Dtg viewers are free. The paid unlock let's you create files. Dtg reads and writes (paid) me office format, and pdf.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum