URL Changes after typing in - can't find page

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Q&A' started by MaryLouW, Jan 13, 2015.

  1. MaryLouW

    MaryLouW Junior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2014
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    12
    When typing in a url on my ASUS Android tablet, the system changes the url and then says Sorry, no such page. For example, if I type http://wwell.net in the browser address window and press Enter, I get a blank window back with http://m.wwell.net in the address bar with a message saying the site doesn't exist.

    It doesn't happen with all of them, only certain ones.
    http://pircnet.com comes back as http://m.pircnet.com
    http://pirc-forum.com comes back as http://m.pirc-forum.com
    http://pirc-ecards.com works just fine

    What is causing this? Please help/
     
  2. Traveller

    Traveller Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    Messages:
    2,275
    Likes Received:
    877
    Trophy Points:
    460
    Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 6
    Browsers send a string of data to identify themselves to the websites you visit. This string of data is the browser's "User Agent String". In the case of your browser, it identifies itself as an Android browser to the websites you visit, and those websites in turn try to send a mobile version of their pages to you. The "m" in the URL is the site redirecting you to the mobile version of the page. Only in the case of the sites you're visiting, the mobile version of the page doesn't exist.

    The mobile page not existing is the fault of the website administrator. But it is annoying when the browser does it and you get nothing. So what you need to do is install a browser such as Boat Browser, where you can change the User Agent to a desktop version. Then, when you try to access those pages you won't get the mobile version of the page. Do keep in mind that some sites will not function properly when their full pages are sent to the browser. This is especially apparent when the site is running Flash. The browser you choose to use should have a switch in its settings to easily change the User Agent when needed.
     
  3. MaryLouW

    MaryLouW Junior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2014
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    12
    Thank you for your response but that won't solve the problem. These are all my sites. One works, three others do not. For the one that works, I did not create a mobile version, I don't have any clue how to do that. I would like to visit my own sites using my tablet as one is a forum where I go several times a day. Any suggestions?
     
  4. Traveller

    Traveller Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    Messages:
    2,275
    Likes Received:
    877
    Trophy Points:
    460
    Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 6
    Find out what is making your sites redirect to mobile pages and fix it. 10:1 there's a setting in your host's control panel you missed. The alternative is to go with my original suggestion; a browser whose user agent string you can change.
     
  5. MaryLouW

    MaryLouW Junior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2014
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    12
    I was able to correct the problem. I had to open my browser settings and check a box called "Request Desktop Site" which I did in both browsers, now everything works as it should. I hate being a newbie but I guess that's how we learn!
     
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Traveller

    Traveller Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    Messages:
    2,275
    Likes Received:
    877
    Trophy Points:
    460
    Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 6
    And just clarify things, when you hit that option, you're changing the User Agent string. I didn't know you already had browsers installed that had the option, but that was what I was talking about in my initial reply. I simply wasn't being all that clear and confused you more.

    Sorry about that.
     
  7. MaryLouW

    MaryLouW Junior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2014
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    12
    The tablet came with two browsers installed, the default one and Chrome. That option was turned off in both. I installed FireFox since that's what I use on my desktop and I can sync my bookmarks, and it too had that option turned off.

    Your hint about changing the User Agent (which I didn't really understand) made me look more closely at the settings and even though I wasn't sure what it meant, I checked that box (Request Desktop Site) just because the words sort of sounded like it might have something to do with the desktop.

    Now that I understand what is happening, I am going to check the options in my cell phone because it does the same thing. Thanks again for the help - you pointed me in the right direction.
     

Share This Page