Veiwsonic GTab purchase question

gtetro

Feb 27, 2011
I am looking to buy a tablet and after reading the posts here I am leaning to the GTab w/ 10.1 screen
After I do upgrades suggested here will I be able to...
View and edit office docs
Tether w/ IPhone
Read PDF
Watch Netflix
Use flash games
Load documents and pictures between laptop and tablet
Thank you for any input

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I am looking to buy a tablet and after reading the posts here I am leaning to the GTab w/ 10.1 screen
After I do upgrades suggested here will I be able to...
View and edit office docs *there's several apps for that*
Tether w/ IPhone *it does not have 3g if thats what your after*
Read PDF *yes*
Watch Netflix *last I heard, Netflix hasn't put an app out there yet*
Use flash games *yes*
Load documents and pictures between laptop and tablet *yes. I use Samba to transfer files to my sdcard over wifi. Also try Dropbox.*
Thank you for any input

See comments in red.

wtang

Dec 13, 2010
Looks like fuganater already answered most of your questions. But I have something to add about tethering with iPhone. The G Tablet doesn't have built in 3G capability (no SIM card) like he said. But you should be able to tether the G Tablet to a smartphone that does have 3G. By doing that your G Tablet can use your smartphone's 3G to get on the internet. I have an Android phone (T-mobile HTC G2) that has wireless hotspot capability, effectively turning my phone into a Wifi hotspot. My G Tablet then just connects to my phone like any other Wifi hotspot... works great.

gracea67

Mar 3, 2011
Is there any timeframe for when Netflix will be offering an app for the g tablet? I just got mine yesterday for my birthday and would love to be able to watch movies on it.

pfd9100

Mar 1, 2011
Looks like fuganater already answered most of your questions. But I have something to add about tethering with iPhone. The G Tablet doesn't have built in 3G capability (no SIM card) like he said. But you should be able to tether the G Tablet to a smartphone that does have 3G. By doing that your G Tablet can use your smartphone's 3G to get on the internet. I have an Android phone (T-mobile HTC G2) that has wireless hotspot capability, effectively turning my phone into a Wifi hotspot. My G Tablet then just connects to my phone like any other Wifi hotspot... works great.

I have tethered to my Droid1, USB, wireless (droid is rooted) and Bluetooth. Works very well. I like BT because it doesn't use so much battery on my phone and still provides satisfactory bandwidth. If I want better speed I'll use wifi or USB.

casyscan

Mar 9, 2011

I am looking to tether my droidx to my g-tablet. I dont want to spend the extra $20 for hotspot. IS there a way to do it with cable?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I am looking to tether my droidx to my g-tablet. I dont want to spend the extra $20 for hotspot. IS there a way to do it with cable?

You can use the 3g Hot Spot hack. I won't post the link but pm me and I'll send it to you.

mobius999

Mar 11, 2011
Is there any timeframe for when Netflix will be offering an app for the g tablet? I just got mine yesterday for my birthday and would love to be able to watch movies on it.

Netflix is really dragging their feet, but in the meantime, check out Play On. It was kinda pricey ($40 1st year) but after customer feedback they have a $4.99 per month option now.

Yeah, you pay $5 more to watch Netflix, but it comes with a truckload of other linked content and makes it easy to access via any mobile device. Since I can use it on my ipod touch and evo as well, was a no-brainer for me.

juncman

Apr 28, 2011
I just got my g-tab from amazon.com for 299.00 + 5.00 shipping. Rooted it, TNT lite 4.3 and it works fine. Great tab for the price.

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
There is no timeframe on Netflix and I don't think that older Android devices will get it directly - other than the playon work around. My understanding is that older android devices do not have hardware DRM (copywrite protection) built in. There are rumors that there are a couple of new Android phones and tablets coming that will have Netflix but they include hardware for copywrite protection.

Keep in mind that this is all rumors at this point.

Here is a very good article explaining the issue - Netflix on Android? « usamaisawake .