Video format mp4 unrecognized

Rocket

Oct 15, 2011
Why are my mp4's from digital copies not recognized by any player on this device. All other devices play them--pc, iPhone, digital players, etc. When I hit "I", it reports the format is mp4, which is supposed to be supported. Any ideas?
Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Rocket

Oct 15, 2011
I have moboplayer and it doesn't play them either. Very odd since even the clear-fi reports them as mp4. Will need to make sure files aren't corrupted somehow if no one else has problems with mp4. Thanks.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
I use mVideoplayer...all my movies are 700mb mp4's and hace no issues...

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My moboplayer plays mp4 just fine.
Some formats need the setting "software decode".
Personally I think Buzz Player (market) is better, but mobo is pretty good.

angel200

Oct 24, 2011
I guess the problem is that the Encoder of ur MP4 files, so i advise you to reset the Encoder to H.264 or MPEG4, and try to play it again.

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
you'd better figure out the full information of your mp4 video with mediainfo... as far as i know, h.264 mp4 videos can be played well by iconia a 500

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Why are my mp4's from digital copies not recognized by any player on this device. All other devices play them--pc, iPhone, digital players, etc. When I hit "I", it reports the format is mp4, which is supposed to be supported. Any ideas?

You might check and see if you need to download and install an additional codec package. If I remember correctly MXVideo PLAYER has additional codecs for the Tegra chip.

Last edited:

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
Wait a minute--are you talking about official Digital Copies that come with purchased DVDs or Bluray discs? Remember that these are copy protected with DRM, and the vast majority aren't compatible with Android devices. You could purchase a program like Audials Tunebite to make an actual recording of the protected video--it's clunky, since you have to make the recording in real time, but it gets the job done.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Wait a minute--are you talking about official Digital Copies that come with purchased DVDs or Bluray discs? Remember that these are copy protected with DRM, and the vast majority aren't compatible with Android devices. You could purchase a program like Audials Tunebite to make an actual recording of the protected video--it's clunky, since you have to make the recording in real time, but it gets the job done.
I don't have any problems playing mp4's. I don't think Icebike has either. The only ones I have problems with are .wmv and .wma which is because they are win format. I'm sure Icebike will have a solution for this. oh yes some of the early .mov (Quicktime) do cause problems.

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
I don't have any problems playing mp4's. I don't think Icebike has either. The only ones I have problems with are .wmv and .wma which is because they are win format. I'm sure Icebike will have a solution for this. oh yes some of the early .mov (Quicktime) do cause problems.

My point was that perhaps the OP is trying to play copy protected MP4 videos, which don't work on Android unless you use the digital-to-analog loophole of recording the copy-protected video using a program like Tunebite.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
My point was that perhaps the OP is trying to play copy protected MP4 videos, which don't work on Android unless you use the digital-to-analog loophole of recording the copy-protected video using a program like Tunebite.
I think most of us handle DRM in a particular way - if you know what I mean.