WE BEAT THE Huawei!!!!!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thinking of closing this thread once we match Huawei; don't see the point anymore and what is coming out of this once friendly rivalry. I'm somewhat insulted by pb's comments today, and take it as a disrespect to all of us that have worked hard helping people each day and help build up the NOOK section on this forum. You right Matt, I don't get his sense of humor.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
This place is nirvana compared to say...the XDA forums. They are brutal over there at times. I really do like the atmosphere here, and jokin with you guys (and gals), helping new peeps, and seeing what trouble I can get myself into with my favorite device.

+ 1. Droidforums can get kinda rough too. We get in some heated arguments over there. But it's all cool over here :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Thinking of closing this thread once we match Huawei; don't see the point anymore and what is coming out of this once friendly rivalry. I'm somewhat insulted by pb's comments today, and take it as a disrespect to all of us that have worked hard helping people each day and help build up the NOOK section on this forum. You right Matt, I don't get his sense of humor.

I don't know if you are kidding or serious Rico, if I offended people then they need to re-read not only that post, but the many many others where I have recommended the Nook (which I also own two of now). I am not going to apologize, especially since the only users I actually made fun of were the S7 group (which I also have). The comment was made in the spirit of good natured fun, and those that know me understand that.

So to the rest of the Community here Congrats on being one of, if not the most energized users groups on the forum, and y'all can add one more message to the total.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Inside 500! From a 2200 post gap to inside 500 in a little less than a month. It really is amazing.

Thanks pbrauer for padding the count. Just by defending your status as a double nook owner you must have contributed another 5 or 6 posts :)

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
To be honest, I only put the Nook forum in top-tier because of the attention it gets from the community. I think everyone was surprised at how good of a tablet the Nook Color ended up as. No one expected its emergence, not even shanzhai manufacturers. I don't expect Barnes and Noble to follow suit for long. They just happened to find good consultants. These people are trying to sell books, not electronics. I'm really surprised by the amount of dedication it has gotten, considering that the manufacturer doesn't care for the Nook Color's tablet capabilities as much as its potential to sell books. They have no interest in pushing this product internationally as a feasible mid-range tablet.

Huawei is the second largest consumer electronics manufacturer of the second largest economic power in the world and backed directly by the government. This is not going to be a battle you guys will be winning forever. We'll keep playing catchup, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The Nook Color is much further along than the S7 in terms of developer interest, and will stay that way for a while. But the competition is helping both of us grow.

Props for making the Nook Color forum great though :).

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Well it doesn't really boil down to who beats who anyways. What matters is that there are developers supporting the Nook Color, and hopefully they will continue too. I do not see any locked bootloaders in the future for the Nook Color, which make it an ideal device for Android Developers. As long as we have a good community of developers, a good community of forum goers, and regular updates from B&N we should be all set for the future.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
+1 to each of you. It won't be the best tablet forever (or even now) but it sure gives you a lot of bang for the buck. With a good community of developers this thing can go a long way to pushing the future of tablets in the right direction. And a community with this much interest shows the manufactures and developers what the users are interested in.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Just want to say...all my comments about Nook are always said in jest. I actually just voted for your device in the eGadget poll. I voted for overall best gadget, and best eReader. Surprisingly it is not listed in the tablet section, when most people actually use this device as a tablet. Good luck to you all and congratulations on having such an active community.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Inside 500! From a 2200 post gap to inside 500 in a little less than a month. It really is amazing.

Thanks pbrauer for padding the count. Just by defending your status as a double nook owner you must have contributed another 5 or 6 posts :)
JP...inching a bit closer. I think the gap is down to 200.

@pvella, thanks for the kinds words (and the vote). And no worries...we'll be knocked out of the ring in a few months, by some new hotshot tablet. Probably a Huawei, given their cell-phone talents.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, time for another Friday update. It's almost a tie. :) But we've fallen off our breakneck pace of the last few weeks. Have we peaked already???

-Matt

The count as of Friday 2/18/2010 at 1:46 PM (ET)

1288d1298054766-we-beat-archos-huawei-next-clipboard01.jpg

Huawei = 6162 posts -- Post rate since last update = (6162 - 5771)/7 = 56 posts/day
Nook = 6106 posts -- Post rate since last update = (6106 - 5114)/7 = 142 posts/day
Archos = 1925 posts -- Post rate since last update = (1925 - 1809)/7 = 17 posts/day
Samsung = 890 posts -- Post rate since last update = (890 - 839)/7 = 7 posts/day

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I would still say 142 posts/day is pretty good:) I am going to make 56 post today so we can be #1! jjk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Maybe just a lull. Inside 50 now! Today is probably the day.

Really it doesn't matter other than it is nice to know we have an enthusiastic community. That means lots of good things for a little device that is supposed to be a humble reader. I am sure if somebody comes out with a comparable next gen spec to price ratio many of us will jump to that. I really hope that happens but the odds are against a device of that kind. It just makes me all the more thankful for what B&N and the Dev/User community has brought to the table.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Exactly ! I totally agree with you. And thats why in my review I stated :

It is a Batman's gadget. Full blown tablet masked under eBook reader :D