WHAT DO YOU USE YOUR NOOK COLOR FOR and do you use it as planned before buying it?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I know I opened a similar thread some time ago but I believe that with all the updates and new developments and new apps we all changed our ways to use it.....I did as well.....what didn' t change in my case is the pleasure of carrying it around and the.fun in using it.I went back to stock probably a month ago so of course that changed how I use it, I don' t like many B &N apps so I read a lot and I don' t play with my nook as much as before. But that will change again because I' m going to try Cm7 on a card so it will be play - time again.The only apps I'm using right now is the mail, Pandora ,Pulse gor some news and I like Fliq notes, where I just right all the things I have - want- should- need to do . Very easy to do,no need for paper and pen.Gloria

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i bought my nook with the intention of rooting so i can download apps and play videos
after a few months my usage have been : email, IM, browsing, reading ,watching TV shows, watching movies, listening to radio and playing games

so that makes my most used apps as Gmail, TextPlus, Taptu, Pulse, Nook, Facebook, TV SHow Stream, DroidTV, MegaViewer Pro, Netflix, TuneWiki and Plants vs Zombies and Battleheart

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I've been using mine mostly for reading. Other than that, internet for email, news, weather etc. Pretty much what I had in mind when I got it.

Jun 3, 2011
Initially, I had planned to buy my Nook Color as a Reader and for B & N Magazines, because I'm running out of room to store physical books in my Towne house. I was at a place where I either needed a Handyman to build a Floor-to-Ceiling Bookcase or get an e-reader, so I chose the NC lol.

In the days ahead of receiving my NC, I discovered it could be Rooted and worked to make that happen through an SD card so I could gain access to the Market and get around the B & N Market jail and just to have more fun with my Nook Color. I had never anticipated the need or desire for a Tablet, but with the ability to make modifications and have applications such as Netflix and virtually any app that I have on my HTC EVO, I'm a happy camper!

I love having Email and Web access when I want to take a quick break from reading or being able to play games, just like on my phone, with a bigger screen and still being portable.

~Bailey

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
pretty much what I thought I'd use it for (same as Anima Technica, I had the intention of rooting):

1. To make a jump into the Android world (I use a fruit phone)
2. for PDFs (some manuals I've got to digest)
3. Email
4. Web browsing
5. Ebooks
6. Games
7. Movies

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
Got mine for the sole purpose of rooting it after I read a article about it (wasn't even on my radar) until I read that article. Then games, surf the web and email. Read with it when I travel. I have a ipod touch that I was using the kindle app for, so I did want all my books to come over with me, which was another point the article made. It is exactly what I wanted to do. I will end up staying with CM7 stable 2 unless something comes out that blows me away.

Last edited:

Trankster

Jan 28, 2011
I use mine daily for:
1. Reader (this is why I originally got it as a gift)
2. eMail and sync with Outlook via Touchdown
Occasional use:
3. QuickOffice for notes and Word documents and Pandora
4. Have it rooted via the SD card with CM7 and dual boot (haven't booted in CM7 in over a week) mainly for Netflix

I also have an Android phone and use that for various apps, GPS, texting etc. and have no use for these same apps on my NC

kich

Jun 21, 2011
I mainly wanted it was a portable way to FTP files from my seedbox. Other than that I figured it would be almost identical, layout-wise, to my HTC Inspire.

It didn't quite turn out like that though. I keep finding more entertaining uses for it and it has replaced my laptop 90% of the time. I need to figure out how to get Adobe Air apps running on it like they do on Windows, if that's possible.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I got mine as a reader. I had rooted my Pandigital Novel and didn't think it was anything special so I just wanted a fancier reader. Then I got the NC and loaded up CM7. I still use it as a reader, but I do a lot of other "what I would use my laptop for" things, too. There are days when I don't even turn on my computer now. In fact, last week while I was at a conference, I only took the NC.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Kich, why don' t you open a thread with your question over at Apps and Games....I' m sure somebody has the answer and if you put "nook color in your signature ,we can list you among us proud owners over at - nook color owners. BTW, wellcome to the forum!

@ExtremeRyno- wellcome to you as well, glad you are enjoying your nook, don' t forget - nook color - in your sig as I said above to Kich

.Gloria

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
In no particular order.

1. email
2. internet
3. text message
4. youtube
5. netflix
6. internet radio
7. impossible game (darn you impossible game!!!!)

Some of them I intended as uses from the beginning some not.

Vansmak

Jun 19, 2011
I pretty much got it for reading and browsing, well that why I was gonna get it, but when I learned you can turn it into a budget android tab my decision got much easier. Now after trial and error I got my cake and nooked it too. CM7 nightlies on emmc and NC stock on an sdcard. using multi uboot if I ever need the stock nook experience I just pop in that sdcard and reboot. But by itself it is a lean and mean budget android machine. so there pretty much nothing I cant do.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Wellcome to the forum Valsmak...if you put " nook color" in you signature, one of our moderators can add you to the list in the - nook color's owners thread. And if you have a screenshot you want to show you can post it in my thread : - just Screenshots- over at - themes and wallpapers......let's see what you can do with your" lean and mean budget android machine"!

Gloria

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Still wish I could get screenshots to work with cm7. Have tried all the screenshot apps with no luck. Cm7 seems to prevent them from working
Bummer.....

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Still wish I could get screenshots to work with cm7. Have tried all the screenshot apps with no luck. Cm7 seems to prevent them from working
Bummer.....

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

What version of CM7 are you running moshe? 7.0.3 works for screen shots.