What is the Mini Tablet Express Plus ?

fatmanwalking

Mar 26, 2011
I was shopping in CVS today. For months this store has been out of stock on the Sylvania 7" tablet. Today I noticed that new stock had arrived.

I didn't have time to ask about this device nor to ask about the price.

The box identifies the tablet as a Mini Tablet EXPRESS "Plus". I noticed that the Android version is 2.2. Rather than the usual landscape view of the tablet, this box graphics of this "Plus" version now shows a portrait layout similar to the ereaders currently out.

Has anyone else seen or know anything about this current Sylvania tablet? I went to the Digital Gadgets website but they still have only the information about the previous non Plus version.

Just wondering.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I was shopping in CVS today. For months this store has been out of stock on the Sylvania 7" tablet. Today I noticed that new stock had arrived.

I didn't have time to ask about this device nor to ask about the price.

The box identifies the tablet as a Mini Tablet EXPRESS "Plus". I noticed that the Android version is 2.2. Rather than the usual landscape view of the tablet, this box graphics of this "Plus" version now shows a portrait layout similar to the ereaders currently out.

Has anyone else seen or know anything about this current Sylvania tablet? I went to the Digital Gadgets website but they still have only the information about the previous non Plus version.

Just wondering.
When you get a chance, should you happen to be there again, please capture and post a picture?

DISCLAIMER
Purely a guess, but since the holiday shopping season is soon approaching, imagine a warehouse full of Express model's, what do you do? You have your cheap labor in China update the tablets to 2.2 (using the instructions posted on this site) and slap a couple of stickers on the box stating it's updated to Android 2.2 and include a 2 GB micro SD card all for the low "sale" price of $99! ---

That was the what was done with the 7LP displayed at Sears when it dropped the price several months back. They even inserted this little card to congratulate and show they "Care".

$SCAN0012.JPG

Imagine the word "Express PLUS" added after Mini Tablet,
then notice the two stickers applied to box circled in RED below.

$IMG_0000.JPG
If my guess is right do I win one?

Last edited:

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
When you get a chance, should you happen to be there again, please capture and post a picture?

DISCLAIMER
Purely a guess, but since the holiday shopping season is soon approaching, imagine a warehouse full of Express model's, what do you do? You have your cheap labor in China update the tablets to 2.2 (using the instructions posted on this site) and slap a couple of stickers on the box stating it's updated to Android 2.2 and include a 2 GB micro SD card all for the low "sale" price of $99! ---

That was the what was done with the 7LP displayed at Sears when it dropped the price several months back. They even inserted this little card to congratulate and show they "Care".

View attachment 4263

Imagine the word "Express PLUS" added after Mini Tablet,
then notice the two stickers applied to box circled in RED below.

View attachment 4264
If my guess is right do I win one?

$nailed_it_RE_20th_Century_fox_theme_on_flute-s240x320-227191.jpg

Sorry....had to be said.

fatmanwalking

Mar 26, 2011
Well, I went back to CVS today with my smartphone ready to take some pictures. Unfortunately the tablets I saw on the shelf were gone.

I talked to the woman behind the counter I usually chat with and she told me that customers regularly ask for the mini tablet. She also told me that this particular CVS store has been waiting quite some time for an order to come in. Looks like the two they got were sold almost immediately.

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I went by the store that I bought my two EX7's from and they didnt have any. They had some e-book reader this time around. I seems that the store's stock vary store to store. And I only caught this on my cell phone today.... dude was RAKING in the dough!

$IMG_20111012_180147.jpg

Last edited:

lorenii

May 2, 2011
Found one... didnt have phone with me. It looks the same as a 7LP but with 2 mini sd slots like the 10".

Still no camera that I noticed. I just glanced at it and it was my turn in line.... They have them in the photo area not on the end caps.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Found one... didnt have phone with me. It looks the same as a 7LP but with 2 mini sd slots like the 10".

Still no camera that I noticed. I just glanced at it and it was my turn in line.... They have them in the photo area not on the end caps.
Wow, if it has the two mini SD card slots like the Flytouch2 then it might be able to use a 2-stage flash method developed for the flytouch2 by stragulus for loading Custom ROM's.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I'll have totry checking one of the local CVS's this weekend to see what they have.

Stopped by CVS on the way home... the Plus is what they should have given us the first time around.

According to the packaging.. these are the differences between the EX7 and the Plus:

Additions - G-Sensor (accelorometer) & HDMI Outputs
Upgrades - BOTH USB ports are listed as Host; Card slot now shows as 32MB. Didn't see any indication of a second card slot.

This almost makes me want to sell my current one, or send it to a family member as a gift...

Last edited:

Markatisu

Oct 21, 2011
Picked up one of these at CVS today, figured it was a nice cheap alternative to my iPad which my wife uses all the time. Does anyone have any questions?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Picked up one of these at CVS today, figured it was a nice cheap alternative to my iPad which my wife uses all the time. Does anyone have any questions?
Yes, pictures please! What is the Hardware ID "hwver"? What is the Model number? What is the firmware version? Thanks

Markatisu

Oct 21, 2011
Yes, pictures please! What is the Hardware ID "hwver"? What is the Model number? What is the firmware version? Thanks

OK first this is what the box looks like, its the new e-reader looking one

$293509_2125246613586_1318517795_31961057_388870227_n.jpg

Model Number SYTABEX7-2

It had 2 little inserts beside the manual. The first tells you that you can upgrade to Android 2.2 for free and they are giving you a 2gb mini-sd card. The 2nd says the OTG USB Port is now fully functional as USB 2.0 and how to use the stylus/on-off/menu/and SlideMe

The unit has 2 mini usb ports, an mini hmdi, mini-sd card slot and headphones

It says HW ID #11.2.3.1 (1109)

Once turned on it says under About Device

Model number: SYTABEX7-2
Android Version: DG2.20
Hardware ID: 11.2.3.1
Firmware: DG2.2.1-7a3.b5

I tried to update it (the battery is at 40%) and it told me I needed to plug it in first, so I will have to wait a bit before trying to upgrade it.

You guys want any other information, I mean I can take more pics of the device itself if you want.

Markatisu

Oct 21, 2011
OK I updated it to the newest version available DG2.2.1-7a3.b5-V2 for update-test

Rooted it using the instructions here
Installed Netflix, got it to load the queue and start to play an episode. Sound starts and 5 seconds in it quits so that was interesting. It might be I am using the wrong apk, this is the one I got for the Nook Color and it lacks the device check.

Last edited:

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
interesting, could you provide more info regarding the basic apk's that come with it? it seems that some new apk's like kobo are installed on this tablets

Sent from my Sytabex7 Android Tablet