What's yout take on this low priced tablet?

Jack2435

Oct 27, 2011
Hi! I'm new to Android community and I'm looking to buy a low priced tablet - MPMAN MP1027. I'm going to use it for web-browsing, watching movies, reading books and listening to the music. I don't need a camera, GPS and 3G.

Here are the specs:
$spec.png

I've got a few questions:

1.) WHAT'S YOUR TAKE?
What do you think about the tablet, does it lack something crucial? Is the display sufficient compared to other android tablets (viewing angles, is it IPS?), do you think the battery's good enough, are the speakers on low priced tablets any good?

2.) ABOUT THE SYSTEM?
As I said, I don't know much about Android. Will I'll be able to upgrade it to Honeycomb (do I need to do this at all?). Is the tablet able to play file formats like mvk files (does this depend on tablet specs or OS/apps?). It says in specs that the USB connection supports a maximum storage size of 4 GB (What does that mean? Is this the same on all Android tablets?)

3.) READING EXPERIENCE
Is the 16:9 display appropriate for reading books?
Could such processor/RAM handle complex pdfs (newspapers, magazines and such). Is the zooming and turning pages going to be smooth or can I expect lagging?
I read somewhere* that it weigh 1.58 lb - Is this too much for holding it in your hands for a longer time - like when reading in bed?

* I couldn't find any user review on the web (also not many additional info besides specifications) but I noticed it's practically the same tablet as Coby's Kyros MID1125. The only visual difference is that the former two more buttons and Android 2.2 installed (the latter has 2.3).

Last edited:

chagud

Oct 27, 2011
Hi there:
The specs seem reasonable for what you want to do. This tablet has similar specs to that of the newly released Zenithink ZT-280 C91 which is a hot seller and a very decent tablet. You can buy it at Amlogic Cortex A9 1GMHz or you can buy it at Amazon as well. There is a review as well at: BLOG.GEEKLAND.CO: The New ZT-280 C91 Capacitive Android Tablet Update

Battery life:
Battery is decent. Will get you 4 hours of internet surfing and video watching.

Speaker:
Ok, but I dont use the speakers on tablets but usually always use earphones

Upgrading to Honeycomb:
No. And I dont think you need to anyway now that a new 4.0 version has come out.

The USB supports maximum of 4GB ? Not sure of that one. But I do know that the tablet has MicroSD slots to expand upto 32GB

Reading experience is great. You can use Kindle App or Nook and download books and read. The larger screen makes it easy to view in landscape or portrait mode. The tablet is light and you get used to it for reading.

Regards
Chandu
Geekland : Android Tablets, Accessories & Electronic Gadgets

poormanstab99

Sep 19, 2011
What is the price on this model? Im on a coby7022 which is the 7" version of the 1125. After installing the full market and flash its worked out very well considering the price. Coby seems to have customer support so it may be more beneficial for warranty claims if necessary over another generic brand. Android 2.3 also seems to have some advantages over 2.2, you do not need to root (unlock) a 2.3 to get the full market and flash. The tradeoff with an entry level tablet will usually be in the form of battery life. My 7" lasts around 3 hours playing a movie.

Overall a good entry tablet if you're new to it and don't want to invest too much. If you can, look at some of the high end brands about to drop prices for nice 10inch tabs to 300-360, acer, xoom, transformer.

I will be looking into the new asus transformer 2, which is a quad core with a 15hour battery and nice expansion options but that will be down the road. The coby has been a nice web surfer and movie viewer for me to date.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Jack2435

Oct 27, 2011
Firstly, thanks for your answers!

@poormanstab99: The price is 290 € (for technology in Europe € = $ usually). It's not that cheap, but it's currently the cheapest 10" tablet with capacitive display on Slovenian market. (Delivery and taxes increases the price quite a lot when ordering from Amazon).

@chagud: Do you mean I would be able to upgrade to Android 4.0?

----

What are the benefits of upgrading other than getting the full market? I read that mobile apps on Honeycomb scale to fill the entire screen. Is this the same on 2.2 or 2.3? Do I need to update at all / will I be able to?

And do you think 16:9 display is really appropriate for reading books and magazines?

Last edited:

Jack2435

Oct 27, 2011
O, come on! Anyone?

I'm thinking of buying it in the next few days, so any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

EDIT:
The tablet has already been sold, so I'm looking for others now.

Last edited: