Why should I sign up with a contract ?

rm2092

Oct 11, 2010
I still can not decide but why should I sign with a contract and have a second line witch means my friends will have to choose from two numbers to send me a text and also I have the Htc Evo with mobile hot spot that I have been using with my iPad.

Thanks...

fbales

May 5, 2010
It's a gimmick to use Samsung's tablet down the road. Yes, this tablet is very nice. I spent some time with it at Best Buy, and for now, sure, it's the best android tablet available. By spring, however, it will not be as relevant. When the tegra 2 Android tablets start appearing with the Android Honeycomb OS (not to mention a new iPad, or WebOS tablets) the Tab will suffer in comparison. So if you have a two year commitment they've got you locked in. In there defense, they got a nice tablet out pretty quick, and there will probably be firmware updates down the road. Also, they got Google's Android market by giving it phone capabilities. Still, Samsung could have sold a couple of million of these by now without a contract, and by dropping the price, which they could have easily done.

mordeci

Nov 16, 2010
I signed a 2-year contract with t-mobile. I got $200 off the tab, if I cancel before the end of 2 years I pay an ETF of $200. Probably pay the $200 later or definitely pay it now. Pretty simple math.

DaHarder

Aug 2, 2010
Isn't the point of buying a device such as this to have a constantly-connect (larger than smartphone) companion/device?

For me (and many others) it certainly is, and in addition to saving money up-front by entering into a cellular contract, you're really just doing what most will do anyway i.e. paying a monthly service fee for the luxury of the aforementioned 'constant connection.

Those who don't feel they'll utilize the 3g service at all would be better off just waiting for the less expensive WiFi-only version - IMO.

Tabluvr

Nov 25, 2010
Got mine with the Sprint contract, I am sure that I made a mistake! I find it's Flash enabled to be pretty much non-enabled, the screen adjusting via pinching and expanding is choppy and erratic, sometimes the screen simply returns to the Home Screen. So my decision is that it goes back to Sprint and my Cash goes back into my pocket and I'll wait to see what develops as I feel that this jole will be over pretty quick and I'll be left to pay the Tab!!

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
It's a gimmick to use Samsung's tablet down the road. Yes, this tablet is very nice. I spent some time with it at Best Buy, and for now, sure, it's the best android tablet available. By spring, however, it will not be as relevant. When the tegra 2 Android tablets start appearing with the Android Honeycomb OS (not to mention a new iPad, or WebOS tablets) the Tab will suffer in comparison. So if you have a two year commitment they've got you locked in. In there defense, they got a nice tablet out pretty quick, and there will probably be firmware updates down the road. Also, they got Google's Android market by giving it phone capabilities. Still, Samsung could have sold a couple of million of these by now without a contract, and by dropping the price, which they could have easily done.

As I always tell people... you get a phone/tablet at a discounted price now. But after a year, you will then have an out dated (or at least older) phone/tablet, while everyone else is having fun with the new "best thing out there" product. On a two year contract technology will have DOUBLED. Contracts are just ways for the provider to lock you into their service, be free.. utilize choice. =)_

debranm

Dec 6, 2010
I bought my tablet on Black Friday, with $50 marked off. I bought it configured for Verizon because that's who my family's cellular service is with. I had to activate the Tab's 3G service with Verizon in order to have the tablet work - OK, that's fine. I bought it specifically configured for Verizon thinking I'd eventually use the 3G service. There was NO CONTRACT. I had to buy one month of 3G access so selected the lowest broadband (1 G) at ~ $20 a month; with taxes, ~ $22.00. I think this is a deal. I can cancel the 3G service at any time. I use the tablet principally with my WiFi enabled (which turns off the 3G). This is a great tablet - it does everything I want and more and fits in my purse.

There will always be more and better hardware/software but this device is good to go. Rumors say that Samsung (which does not have firmware updates via wireless...:-((....) will allow the Android updates to be downloaded via the web and installed. I can only hope so or they will truly crash their market.

I'm happy with this device - I've waited two or three years for something decent to come out. I use Google extensively so this was a natural choice for me. I am hoping more Apps will be developed.

kenzzx12

Dec 10, 2010
You don't need a contract if you want Wifi only. I have the Sprint Tablet. All you have to do is by-pass the activation by doing the following:
1. Press volume button up one time
2. Press the volume button down two times
3. Press the volume button up three times, and
4. Press the volume button down four times.

That's it! You should be able to access WiFi.
Worked for me. I got the instructions over the net!

kamgrn

Dec 29, 2010
At which point of the activation do you do this? I have tried to disable the activation over and over and it does not work for me on my sprint galaxy tab.

kenzzx1

Aug 19, 2010
Once you get to your home page, after all the trying to activate crap.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Android Tablet Forum App