Wifi Tethering

akvasu

Dec 1, 2011
Hi

I have a Nokia C7 phone.... And it supports Wifi Tethering. However the Tablet does not detect this Wifi network. I tried couple of apps on Nokia and even 1 paid app (Joiku) no luck... My laptop detects the phones wifi perfectly.

Whats up with Sony? Maybe they expect a Sony phone? (i'll probably switch but for not a few months at least)

thanks
Anup

letmefly

Nov 3, 2011
It will only work on android 3.2 or above

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

akvasu

Dec 1, 2011
hi
sony tab is at 3.2.1 version so not sure if sony is being evil for some reason......

I tried various channels on the phone. not too sure whats missing.....
thanks
Anup

letmefly

Nov 3, 2011
I used paid Joiku on Nokia C6-01 and it works with Transformer. I tried my friend's samsung galaxy tablet and it won't work.

boodschap

Dec 1, 2011
as you can see in a topics earlier on: it does not support AD-HOC. Sony S needs to be rooted or you need to know how to reboot in recovery mode. Then I can help...

akvasu

Dec 1, 2011
Hi
Did actually get any of those 2 links to work? From your thread it didn't seem like that...

Rooting/Recovery mode are not happening with the S yet... Probably will have to wait for andriod upgrade...

Reds

Dec 15, 2011
I have htc g2 with wifi tethering, and my sony tab connects without any issues.

akvasu

Dec 1, 2011
Hi Reds

This message is a long time coming - but I forgot about these issues over the holiday period.

By any change can you verify if the HTC g2 advertises an "Infrastructure Mode" Wifi ? My Nokia advertises as a "Ad-Hoc mode".

I know how to get this info on a Linux Laptop - iwlist scan. Haven't tried on Windoze but should be simple to find.

Thanks
Anup

Reds

Dec 15, 2011
The g2 identify as "wpa2/psk"

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

ajcsjm

Jan 23, 2012
Hi, Has anyone had any look with this, so annoyed as was told SOny S1 could data tether... Please help

akvasu

Dec 1, 2011
Tether is possible - with specific devices. I tried it with my laptop - I tweaked Win7 to advertise Infrastructure mode Wifi and the Tablet could see that. I think some of the android phones (and maybe iOS) support infrastructure model Wifi.

Nokia Symbian does not support Infrastructure mode. Nokia Winphone doesnt support any kind of wifi hot spot yet...

cirsory

Mar 12, 2012
I can successfully use tethering. This is one of the first things I setup since my wireless at home is weak until I setup another wireless point.
Anyways..
I am using a samsung galaxy S 4G phone and the sony tablet together. I use the samsung's built in wireless AP(access point) program.

happyhour

Mar 13, 2012
are you using wifi hotspot or wifi tethering? they are different.

I have Nexus S 4G rooted. I am able to connect to my Sony Tablet S with Wifi hotspot on my phone. The tablet found that wifi hotspot without any problem. The thing is when using with Wifi hotspot, it is only running 3G even though i have 4G network on my phone. I want to use Wifi Tethering because it will allow me to run on the 4G network, which is much faster. When i turn on Wifi Tethering, the tablet can't find it, i keep searching for the network name but no luck. This only happened with my Sony Tablet S.

To find out the problem, i went to Fry's Electronic and tried my phone with other tablets, all the tablets recognized my Wifi Tethering without any problem on first try. Then i tried it with the sony tablet at Frys. Same problem as mine. So i guess Sony did something to lock it.

Is anyone here know how to get it work???? Please help!!! Thanks

Last edited: