Woot Tablet is Gingerbread!

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
OK, I waited all night and no one seems to have a clue if my new TAB will set up as a separate account on google play. I don't think it will.

The tablet I bought from Woot came with Gingerbread. I did not do the update to HC.

What say the group Keep one with Gingerbread and the other with HC? Or update the new one to HC too?

There is obviously no hurry. ha ha

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
OK google account shows all my account purchases and apps that are on the other tab, so it is only seeing one account. It asked me every time I boot up, if I want to update to HC. So far I am loving the NO CRASHES in gingerbread. I might have found the best of both worlds here.

Someone make the case for HC? I am not seeing it so far.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
What do I take from this? If you are looking for a Gingerbread Tab buy a refurbished one, they obviously do not update the reburbed units.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Well, a problem. Now Google play store only sees some of my paid apps on the HC tab and shows none on the GB tab. The play store in HC now shows up as a GB app and does not let you choose which device to download an app too. I have the GB unit off. I suspect google uses the last signed in format for play. When I first went to play store it game me the option to install all the apps I had bought on the HC, now it no longer sees those paid apps, but they are still on my HC and work. I have not tryed installing them from SD. will wait.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Kemper, you shouldn't run into problems with having two of the same device on the same account though I haven't had the exact scenario you are in now. It usually just numbers them or tracks them by date detected. For example every time I flash a new nightly of CM9 it shows as a new device but the apps available on the "old" device are still available on the "new" device. Generally speaking though, you are going to have issues in that there may be different apps for GB and HC. Because of the way the Play store tries to filter apps that are only applicable to your device you shouldn't expect to see HC apps show up in the GB device's Play store and you also shouldn't expect to see GB apps show up in the HC device's store. Log in to the Play store with a pc to see what devices your account shows.

Because the Play store doesn't really show you why it is filtering or what app versions are options it will seem that some things are missing. This is a shortcoming of the Play store. Just because you have an app on one device or the other doesn't mean it will automatically show up in the Play store for the other device. Nor does it mean you lost any paid apps, it just means that using one device or the other the Play store is going to filter what you see.

This is a common problem regardless of if you are using the same device or of the same kind or multiple devices of various kinds. For example I have 2 Nook Colors, one on CM7 and one on CM9, a rooted Nook Tablet and a rooted Vtab on GB and they all see different things in the Play store. This isn't because I am gaining or losing apps but just because the Play store is terrible. Using Amazon everything I have through my Amazon account shows up for all of the devices but the list the devices in the corner and let you know which are compatible/incompatible with that app. Google is trying to "help" us by showing (guessing) only apps that are compatible with the device it detects but really they are just hiding/showing things randomly. They really need to adopt a method that always shows you all apps but has notes that certain apps may not work with certain versions of Android.

As far as keeping GB or updating to HC I don't see any real advantage of GB other than rooting. If you want root access you can do that on the earlier version of GB. This will allow you to experiment and play with the system in ways you cannot without root. If this isn't a concern then I'm not sure there is any advantage over one than the other. The differences in reality are small (despite the impassioned feelings posted here) and there pros/cons of each (higher resolution, loss of bezel buttons, better performance, fewer apps available, etc.).

Last edited:

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Currently Play store is only seeing the GB account on my HC tablet. Which means I can not get HC apps on my HC Tablet. I will try to sign on on computer and see what happens. Will report back

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
When you click on an app in the store on the pc it should list the devices in the upper left.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
OK I just open Play on computer and looked at My Apps. It IS showing two VTAB's on it. One say registered today and then one last used today. Looks like I am good to go. Now do I keep on Gingerbread? It sure boots up faster and DOESN'T crash! I don't see the list of devices, but when I go to my installed apps and click on install, it shows all four of my andriod units, a driod 2, droid 2 global, VTAB registered today and VTAB last used today. Will play with them some more, thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Have you factory restored since the Honeycomb update? You shouldn't be getting frequent crashes. Obviously there are some app compatibility issues and those my lead to force closes but generally the people with clean updates to HC have not been complaining about crashes.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
When I first got the HC update it crashed all the time. I called Vizio and stayed on phone for two hours and did factory reset twice! It's took me two hours to restore all my apps, and I got no change in the crashes after a week.

One more problem, Google Play is now only showing half my installed apps, will not go past M and it is listing apps I deleted months ago. WTF?

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Well, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I went to the store, looked up the apps I have bought. they show bought and I installed them on new TAB. Have not booted up the new one to see if they install, will let you know.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
When I first got the HC update it crashed all the time. I called Vizio and stayed on phone for two hours and did factory reset twice! It's took me two hours to restore all my apps, and I got no change in the crashes after a week.

In this case there is more than likely a single app responsible for the crashes. This is not uncommon in Android. Unfortunately there is no good way to tell which app it is except to add or remove them one at a time. Start with the apps active in the apps list in settings. Remove or freeze them one at a time and see if you still get crashing until you find the culprit. You could also start from scratch with no apps (after a factory reset say) and then add them one at a time until you find the one that starts causing the crashing.

One more problem, Google Play is now only showing half my installed apps, will not go past M and it is listing apps I deleted months ago. WTF?

Probably just a Play Store issue. It honestly has quite a few problems. Not sure what the fix is here except to hope that Google eventually learns to run an online store.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Damn my last post didn't post. I have done two resets while on phone to vizio Didn't help much and it took two hours to reinstall all my apps. I found way to install my paid apps. Went to store looked up them up in buy stuff. They showed installed, installed them on new tab, have not boot new tab up to see if they really installed, have meeting will report later.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Well then it posts. I suspect Dolphin and NY Times app. CNN crashes regularlly too.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It isn't the reset that is the issue, it is the loading the apps after. Odds are very high one of those apps you are reloading after the reset is the issue. The reset itself will not correct an issue caused by an app.