Xoom or G-Tab

Fendogz

Feb 3, 2011
I'm thinking of buying a G-Tab from tiger direct because the price is very tempting($299). I know i can receive plenty of help if needed but in your opinion which one would be better in the future on the hardware, software side of it.
I currently own an Ideos S7 (AWD Launcher Pro, Rooted and Link2SD) Ipad 2 (Wi-Fi 64gig):eek: . Please don't get on me for the Ipad its my wifes.
Any info is good info.

Amdusias440

Mar 29, 2011
The hardware is very similar between the two. You really miss out on bells and whistles.
The only thing I personally miss is a rear facing camera, but that, at the end of the day, wasn't worth the price difference.

I have 4G speed on my Atrix, and even a compass should I ever really need it. So to fit the nitche of what I was missing in my tech lust, the g-tablet was a perfect fit.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
If you want GPS and 3G get the Xoom. If not get the GTab. Those are the 2 BIG things the Xoom has over the Gtab

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
3G/4G, GPS, rear-facing camera are the big differences. I would of purchased the gTab except I had to have 3G/4G for work.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
If you have a android powered phone or a bluetooth enabled GPS unit the gps isn't really an issue.. I've gotten it to successfully port the gps signal from my DroidX to the Gtab via the method here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...0-bluetooth-gps-g-tab-skymap-nav-working.html posted by Pbrauer. If you're a middle class techno geek, like me, this tablet is the obvious choice. There has been VERY few things that i've wanted to do that this thing couldn't handle.. Ya may have to do some digging to figure it out.. but to me that's part of the allure. EVENTUALLY we'll get Honeycomb but what the tablet market will have to offer at that point is a toss up... don't see me switching unless i find a wifi Xoom for under $400

Last edited:

Fendogz

Feb 3, 2011
I don't need 3g I have a mytouch4g that I will be using as a hotspot. As for gps I'll be using my Ideos S7, I installed navigon and it works great don't need a 10in gps. Don't know if the rear cam is really a problem since I'll probably won't be taking pics with it. When I get home I'm ordering it.
Thanx..

Fendogz

Feb 3, 2011
Should be receiving it by Monday :) I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Thanx for the replies.

Aug 25, 2010
Here is my take, I am a Gtab owner, and I am fairly happy with it. The problems with the Gtab that you wont encounter with the Xoom are these:

With the Gtab, it seems making it work the way we want it to is a bigger hassle. Out of the box, the Gtab is worthless IMO, and in order for it to become much more user friendly, a ROM is required.

I bought the Gtab with a few main ideas in mind of which none of them are working the way I have hoped, such as using Video chat with Skype or Google voice, or well anything other than a Messenger service. I also Wanted to be able to control my Samsung TV, which recently I was able to download a modified version of the Samsung TV remote, however it forces Portrait mode only.

Landscape and portrait mode on the Gtab are horrible.

Most likely sooner or later we will receive Honeycomb on our Gtabs, however I expect it to present the same struggles that the Gtab has given with the other ROMs we have used.

These are problems that are affecting me personally with the Gtab tho, and might not be of concern to the average user. However, I don't think that the Xoom will offer as many struggles just to get the tablet working ideally.

I am planning on selling my Gtab and picking up a Xoom in the near future.

jpfx

Dec 26, 2010
I've owned both. G tab for the price and xoom for pretty much everything else.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Here is my take, I am a Gtab owner, and I am fairly happy with it. The problems with the Gtab that you wont encounter with the Xoom are these:

With the Gtab, it seems making it work the way we want it to is a bigger hassle. Out of the box, the Gtab is worthless IMO, and in order for it to become much more user friendly, a ROM is required.

I bought the Gtab with a few main ideas in mind of which none of them are working the way I have hoped, such as using Video chat with Skype or Google voice, or well anything other than a Messenger service. I also Wanted to be able to control my Samsung TV, which recently I was able to download a modified version of the Samsung TV remote, however it forces Portrait mode only.

Landscape and portrait mode on the Gtab are horrible.

Most likely sooner or later we will receive Honeycomb on our Gtabs, however I expect it to present the same struggles that the Gtab has given with the other ROMs we have used.

These are problems that are affecting me personally with the Gtab tho, and might not be of concern to the average user. However, I don't think that the Xoom will offer as many struggles just to get the tablet working ideally.

I am planning on selling my Gtab and picking up a Xoom in the near future.
Steven, sorry to hear you're having such a sucky experience with the gTab. I guess my expectations with it started out low, so they've been exceeded so far! ;) But the issues you point out are good ones. Also owning the Nook Color--which is rooted but otherwise running a vanilla Android ROM--I can see how the ROMs available for the gTab are a little...what's the word?...well, you're right, they require patience.

But just one quick bit of advice: I'm a huge Asus fan, and our forum is spreading news that Asus' new 10" tablet may run $400. I'd definitely keep your wallet in your pocket for a month or so if you can, and see what it ends up retailing for. The initial (i.e., early adopter) price will probably be $50-$100 more than where it settles. I think it'll be a better alternative than the Xoom.

-Matt

zepe63

Apr 4, 2011
I have to be honest. I jumped on the TigerDirect deal thinking I would sell my 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab. Comparing them side by side I was left with big concerns on the screen resolution and viewing angles with the GTab. The Samsung is superior in the screen department albeit 3" smaller and game playing ability. I could not get BackBreaker Football to run on the GTab, all I saw were shadows.

I do plan to return the GTab to TigerDirect... But if you do decide to go with the GTab, PM me and I will sell you this one. I used it all of 6 hours.

jasonwuzthere

Mar 31, 2011
I've had my GTab for a few weeks now, and I have to say I'm slightly disappointed. If you don't want to feel bummed or worried about your choice, you can skip my post. lol
The Xoom and the ASUS tablets are going to have much better screens. The Gtab is nice, but my Droid 1 outshines it when it comes to color quality and contrast. And it may just be me, but the glare is HORRIBLE, even from a dim light it reflects everything like a mirror.
The ROMs require a lot of patience. TNTl was okay, but lacked a lot of features, GHarmony was very peppy, but any video ran at 5fps even on the April update, and I couldn't get it to mount to USB without removing the external SD card for fear of a hard lockup. I'm now on Calkulin's G-Tab v1.1 on it works great, so far, but is based on the stock ROM, and uses it's settings menus.
At this point, I have to agree with waiting for ASUS's offering to drop, which is apparently going to be pretty soon. The screens are what seals it for me. The screen can make or break a device, and I'm pretty sure it has for me. That coupled with the 512mb of RAM compare to 1GB for the XOOM/ASUS, seals the deal if either gets under $100.
You have no worries though, if you decide you don't like it, TD will take it back. :)

Fendogz

Feb 3, 2011
Thanx for the replys. I've ordered the gtab and it should be comming in on monday. There's been a lot of complaints about the screen and I'm hoping that it won't bother me to much. Crossing my fingers.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
At this point, I have to agree with waiting for ASUS's offering to drop, which is apparently going to be pretty soon. The screens are what seals it for me. The screen can make or break a device, and I'm pretty sure it has for me. That coupled with the 512mb of RAM compare to 1GB for the XOOM/ASUS, seals the deal if either gets under $100.
You have no worries though, if you decide you don't like it, TD will take it back. :)
I'm with you on the screen issue, though for $285 (woot) it's not gonna be a deal-breaker for me. The test comes in a week or two, where my gTab and I take our first flight together. We'll see how the viewing angles fare in a coach seat. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes that $100 was a typo. You meant $400, right? Cuz $100...wow, dude...you'll have a long gray beard before that happens. :)

-Matt