1.2 rooted with CWR ?

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
Sorry for my ignorance. I have an autonootered 1.1 with CWR installed. Will there eventually be the ability to update to 1.2 rooted using CWR? Or will I need to wipe and start over?

Catherine

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Catherine,

There will most likely be a way to upgrade to 1.2 rooted through CWR where you can just flash the image without having to start over but it may take a while to become available. In all likelyhood the reason for this will be so that people can restore to a clean 1.2 if they mess something up, but you could also use the method to upgrade if you haven't already done so. So really it works both ways once a 1.2 image is available.

The only thing to take into consideration is how long you want to wait since the flashable 1.2 image might take a while before it becomes avilable. The earlier versions of B&N flashable images 1.0.0, 1.0.1 & 1.1 (which I'm not sure has come out) for restoration purposes took several months to come out after rooting was available.

Things tend to move quicker these days but for the most part the devs are more focused on cutom ROMs at this point than the autonooters and restore images so it might still be a while. In theory if somebody pops in a bootable CWR card and creates a nandroid of the completely stock 1.2 and then makes that file available everybody should be able to use it to flash to 1.2. I just haven't seen it yet.

JP

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks JP - I like the idea of sticking with a version of stock B&N, but I do not HAVE too - the read to me feature is interesting but I do not see myself spending money on the proprietary books!

Could I use CWR to flash the CM7 ROM? I want to have the best experience for the tablet, but the ability to still read B&N as well as other book types - like epub etc

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks JP - I like the idea of sticking with a version of stock B&N, but I do not HAVE too - the read to me feature is interesting but I do not see myself spending money on the proprietary books!

Could I use CWR to flash the CM7 ROM? I want to have the best experience for the tablet, but the ability to still read B&N as well as other book types - like epub etc

Yes, you can use CWR to flash CM7 and many people are very happy with the results. Once you have everything setup all you need to do is install the B&N reader app from the market and you will have access to any B&N books you have purchased. For other formats such as epub there are tons of readers available just download your favorite.

JP

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
Ive got a question, I flashed CM7, but found my apps did not have the options softkey, like a circle with 3 lines in it, so I flashed back to my backup of rooted 1.1 (love that I can do that, btw!) What was I missing, I am sure it is there somewhere?

Catherine

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So the "options" softkey is actually the menu button (brings up the menu of the device or the app you are in). In CM7 there are tablet buttons honeycomb style in the bottom left corner (you can go into settings and then tablet tweaks to adjust these soft bottons to preference). You have "Home" "Back" "Menu" "Notifications" "Search" and "Hide" available. Menu still looks like little lines just not in a circle.

JP