[How To] Restore Stock Recovery from CWR

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Uninstall ClockworkMod Recovery and restore stock recovery

Not to step on the toes of other tutorials but I though it would be a good idea to make one of just the removal process.

Many NC users who have rooted b&n 1.1 with autonooter 3.0 and then installed CWR to make a backup. Once you make a backup you will find you are stuck inside CWR.

If your NC is really hosed, you are stuck with a non-functioning CWR and need more help than just removal, see tutorial below:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html
Thanks to darmeen :)

If you have CWR installed, and need to remove it. Here is how to uninstall ClockWorkMod Recovery and restore the stock Nookcolor recovery.

-Download the ClockWorkMod Removal zip: CWR-removal.zip
-Copy to root of your SD card
note: if stuck in CWR, mount your NC to pc and copy over to sd card.
IMAG0273.jpg

-Boot into CWR
-Navagate to "flash zip from sd card"
-Clear chache partition and dalvik cache
-Flash stock 1.0.1 kernel (if oc kernel is installed)
kernel-stock.zip stock 1.0.1 (for android 2.1 ran off internal memory)
-Flash CWR-removal.zip to remove CWR
-Reboot
IMAG0219.jpg

-Once back to home screen, check to see if CWR is removed
-Open Rom manager
-Press "reboot to recovery"
-On reboot, you should get an error from the stock NC recovery
-This will tell let you know CWR was removed and you are back to using the stock recovery
-Hold power button to turn NC off
-Press power button to reboot
bedd3e4d.png

IMAG0268.jpg

-Now you are free to be on your way living without CWR, reinstall CWR or perform a normal factory reset using these instructions: Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs

Last edited:

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
Can I still post to this thread??? This is the exact problem I'm having and I need some help with these instructions...anyone??
To be more specific my CWM Recovery Menu says "install zip from sdcard"...is this the same as -Navagate to "flash zip from sd card" step?? If I click on that the next menu says:
-apply /sdcard/update.zip
-choose zip from sdcard
-toggle signature verification
-toggle script asserts

Which of those should I pick?

Also how do I "-Flash CWR-removal.zip to remove CWR" which is the next step?

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
pick
-choose zip from sdcard
-then pick "CWR-removal.zip" from the list
-then press "yes"

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
YOU R A GODSEND!!!! That worked...TYVM!!!! I'm happy to just leave my nook be with the apps I have on it and if it gets reset with the B&N Update then so be it...otherwise I'm happy enough for now!!!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
:) glad you are up and running again.

If you do decide to take another crack at CWM recovery, you can always use the zip and this tutorial to remove it and restore the stock NC recovery.

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
:) glad you are up and running again.

If you do decide to take another crack at CWM recovery, you can always use the zip and this tutorial to remove it and restore the stock NC recovery.

Just when I thought everything was fixed....I seem to have lost marketplace and the tools app. I'm also back to the nc keyboard and when I hit the home key it flashes the home screen with an error message saying initial loading from media provider Failed? So it seems it's missing some part of the root Maybe?:confused:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Just when I thought everything was fixed....I seem to have lost marketplace and the tools app. I'm also back to the nc keyboard and when I hit the home key it flashes the home screen with an error message saying initial loading from media provider Failed? So it seems it's missing some part of the root Maybe?:confused:

Oh “initial loading from media provider Failed”, that’s bad. Looks like you have some damage to the operating system. Unfortunately, the only fix for this is a factory restore and re-reoot. The good news is you are still functioning and since you have restored your stock recovery, you can perform a factory reset. I would backup you apps with ASTRO file manager or Titanium back to you SD card and copy over any other important files.

Then do factory restore:

Step 1 (factory image restore)
-Power off the nook.
-Tap the power button.
-3 to 5 seonds after "Welcome to the future of reading" appears, hold the power button down to interrupt the boot process. (this will turn the Nook Color back off)
* If the boot animation does not appear, add 1 to your interrupted boot count.
* If the boot animation DOES appear, your interrupted boot count is reset to zero. Start over.
-Repeat the interrupt sequence until your failed boot count reaches 8. At this point, the nook will re-flash its /system partition. You will see the process on the right.

Step 2 (de-registration)
option1
-With the Nook color powered off hold down the n button (home) and Power Button until the Nook Color powers on.
-You will be prompted with a Factory Reset dialog.
Press POWER key to Exit
Press HOME key to continue
-Press n button (home).
-You will be prompted to confirm.
Press POWER key to Exit
-Press n button (home).
-A Clearing Data dialog will show. Nook Color will reboot automatically once complete.

option2
-Go to Settings
-Select "Device Info" under the top "Device Settings" section
-Select "Erase & Deregister Device"
-Select the "Erase & Deregister Device" button
-You will be prompted with the following confirmation dialog
-Select the "Reset Nook" button
-A Deregistration message will appear and Nook Color will reboot.
-Upon reset a Clearing data message will appear
-Nook Color will reboot again once complete.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
TYVM =)

I don't really want to go back to stock, but I have a feeling that once the official 2.2 drops, my wife is going to want to go back, get autonootered and then have Froyo + the original B&N content compatability. I have to admit, I miss reading magazines on my NC.

Trankster

Jan 28, 2011
THANK YOU FOR THIS SOLUTION! I really thought I bricked my NC. Your description "users who have rooted b&n 1.1 with autonooter 3.0 and then installed CWR to make a backup. Once you make a backup you will find you are stuck inside CWR" fit me exactly. I must have missed the warnings that CWR is potetially fatal to your autonootered NC .... :mad:

I killed a day trying everything I could find, but your solution was the only one that helped. Also had a recent Titanium backup, so did not lose much. My autonootered NC 1.1 once again works perfectly for me, so I will stick with a winner. :)

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
Oh “initial loading from media provider Failed”, that’s bad. Looks like you have some damage to the operating system. Unfortunately, the only fix for this is a factory restore and re-reoot. The good news is you are still functioning and since you have restored your stock recovery, you can perform a factory reset. I would backup you apps with ASTRO file manager or Titanium back to you SD card and copy over any other important files.

Then do factory restore:

Step 1 (factory image restore)
-Power off the nook.
-Tap the power button.
-3 to 5 seonds after "Welcome to the future of reading" appears, hold the power button down to interrupt the boot process. (this will turn the Nook Color back off)
* If the boot animation does not appear, add 1 to your interrupted boot count.
* If the boot animation DOES appear, your interrupted boot count is reset to zero. Start over.
-Repeat the interrupt sequence until your failed boot count reaches 8. At this point, the nook will re-flash its /system partition. You will see the process on the right.

Step 2 (de-registration)
option1
-With the Nook color powered off hold down the n button (home) and Power Button until the Nook Color powers on.
-You will be prompted with a Factory Reset dialog.
Press POWER key to Exit
-Press n button (home).
-You will be prompted to confirm.
Press POWER key to Exit
-Press n button (home).
-A Clearing Data dialog will show. Nook Color will reboot automatically once complete.

option2
-Go to Settings
-Select "Device Info" under the top "Device Settings" section
-Select "Erase & Deregister Device"
-Select the "Erase & Deregister Device" button
-You will be prompted with the following confirmation dialog
-Select the "Reset Nook" button
-A Deregistration message will appear and Nook Color will reboot.
-Upon reset a Clearing data message will appear
-Nook Color will reboot again once complete.

Step 1 isn't working for me at all. I can get it power off but to power it back on I need to long hold the power button to get it back on. Then I long hold the power button to turn it off and it doesn't work...the boot animation comes on. This happens every time. So, what do I do now?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Step 1 isn't working for me at all. I can get it power off but to power it back on I need to long hold the power button to get it back on. Then I long hold the power button to turn it off and it doesn't work...the boot animation comes on. This happens every time. So, what do I do now?

It's a little tricky on the timing but once you get it, it's easy.

I'll go into more detail
-Turn on NC (Press and hold the power for 3-4 seconds)
-You will see "Touch the future of reading"
-Wait 2-3 more seconds
-Press and hold power button until the NC turns off.
You will see the big n animation screen after "touch the future..." screen before the NC turns off.
-Repeat 7 more times.

Once you research 8 reboots, the nook will start to re-flash its /system partition.

Supergirl9801

Mar 25, 2011
It's a little tricky on the timing but once you get it, it's easy.

I'll go into more detail
-Turn on NC (Press and hold the power for 3-4 seconds)
-You will see "Touch the future of reading"
-Wait 2-3 more seconds
-Press and hold power button until the NC turns off.
You will see the big n animation screen after "touch the future..." screen before the NC turns off.
-Repeat 7 more times.

Once you research 8 reboots, the nook will start to re-flash its /system partition.
By "reflashing its /system partition" Do you mean where it says "A new software update is being installed. This will take a few minutes and has a picture of the N tablet with a green arrow pointing down on it?? If so, I've gotten to that point....didn't get quite to 8 resets before getting there (oh and I didn't always get the "N" to show each time but it would "flicker" as if it were coming back on and I just held the power button till that happened). I got to this point last night too and thought everything was good. So now the update is done and it's rebooting. My old familiar home screen just flashed up and a white box pops up saying "Complete action using "Home" or "Soft Keys". Not sure what to do here, so I hit "home" and I'm getting the same flashing screen as before with "initial loading from media provider failed" message?????

ETA:
I figured out how to get to step two...I needed to power it off before it rebooted from the "green arrow" download. So I did that and step 2 worked till the very end. I didn't get a "Clearing Data Dialog" box pop up...it just started rebooting and then I got the white box like above and then another flash of the same message as above "initial loading from media provider failed" message. So, I proceed with step 2 since I was able to get to my settings key and right now it's "deregistering the device".......seems to be stuck here? How long does that process take?

Last edited: