$189.99 at BestBuy.com, yeah baby!!!

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
I was hoping to get the 8 GB A100 at BestBuy on Black Friday for $189.99, but when I drove by my local store at 9 PM last night, the line was already a few hundred people long, so I figured screw it, that ain't worth saving $100-150. The website also said it was sold out last night.

So I'm at work this afternoon and check out BestBuy.com again, and a-HA! it says it's available again. The catch is that it's only available for store pickup, and the nearest one where it was in stock is about 30 miles away. But that ain't a big deal. So I placed my order (and with Discover, I'll also get an additional 10% cash back!), and plan on picking it up on Monday. Awesome! And I didn't have to freeze my butt off last night waiting in line.

So anyone who is interested in getting this deal, check BestBuy.com--when I looked just now, it was still available for $189.99.

mdwright1032m

Nov 25, 2011
Just scored one of these online for this price myself. You got to keep checking back at bestbuy.com because they periodically have some in stock.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
You will not get a better tablet for that price. Way to go!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

silviasilvia

Nov 24, 2011
I hope you receive the email that it is ready for pick up. I added to my cart a tablet accessory which stated availability for pick up at the store I chose. A day later, I received an email saying item is not available at the store and call for other store pick up. When I called Best Buy toll free number, she said they are no longer available at the store. I asked when it becomes available, would i still be able to get it for the same price. She said "no" because it is a "sale item"

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
Update--picked up my A100 yesterday, and overall it is a sweet little tablet. Early impressions:

Pro
Same snappy performance as the A500, if not a little snappier--I imagine the smaller screen doesn't tax the CPU as much.
Build is very sturdy--doesn't feel cheap at all.
Video capture is better than A500 due to better mic performance.
Good speakers for such a small device.
AC plug is longer than the one for the A500--thanks, Acer!

Con
Battery life, but this is well-known already, and I would imagine is one of the compromises of having a more powerful CPU than other 7" tablets.
Viewing angle, which can cause problems viewing in portrait mode, since each eye sees a slightly different brightness (viewing in landscape mode is fine).
Touch-sensitive home button is potentially a problem because it can be so easily pressed, but so far hasn't been an issue for me.
Some widgets don't seem to work right on the A100 vs. the A500 (Wifi toggle widgets, for example).

As mentioned above, this is without a doubt the best 7" tablet deal around, if you can get it at $190!

RangerJ

Nov 30, 2011
Been thinking about a Tablet since the first iPad arrived.
Almost ordered a Kindle Fire, but was disappointed in the lack of features and lack of customization.
Ditto on Nook Tablet.
Almost bit on the Blackberry Playbook when they dropped that to $199. But I'm a former, not current Blackberry user.

Went to Best Buy on Black Friday to see what was left of the one-day deals, figuring they'd be out of anything good when I got there just before noon.
But they still had the Acer A100 for $189. Even the demo unit was available to check out and the features were amazing for the price.

Needless to say, I took one home and have been setting it up and testing things out since.
When comparing this to the other tablets at a similar price, I'm still amazed it wasn't an instant sell-out.

GreenFuzzer

Mar 27, 2011
I had heard that Best Buy was going to start it's sales on Wed 23rd. Since I had already checked out the A100 and knew his is something hubby and I wanted to get each other I thought great I will get a jump on things. Well at just before midnight the price was $329 and only available online, just before 1am on the 23rd the price was still the regular price but no longer available though still listed as an online item only, by 1:30 am it was the sale price but sold out. I was not a happy camper. Being the person I am I kept checking through out Wed and Thurs. On Friday surprise they are again available for $189 but not online only in store however next to the price it said free shipping. Huh? Ok so I'll check the stores for availability as I could not even order online for store pick up. All stores in a 50 miles did not have them available. Personally I think the whole thing was a scam. Just my opinion though.

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
GreenFuzzer, it wasn't a scam. The item was only available for store pickup, but could be ordered online. In the ordering process, you get a list of stores near you and whether or not there is any availability. If you find a store that has it available and place your order, then that store reserves it for you for about a week to pick up. Being a Black Friday deal, it isn't surprising that it sold out quickly, both in stores and online--I noticed that, too. However, then next day, it came up as available again, presumably because of more stock or a reassessment of what stock was available.

RangerJ, the reason it wasn't an instant sell-out everywhere is due to iPad brainwashing. The more I deal with quality Android devices like Acer's tablets, the less interested I am in any of Apple's products.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
GreenFuzzer,

Best Buy actually put all of their Black Friday items for sale online last Monday (the 21st). It was an online only (or over the phone) sale that was for their Best Buy Rewards silver elite members only. It also included all of their doorbusters, which would have been in the stores only on Black Friday. The sale started at noon and I was able to pick up both the Transformer at $250 and the Thrive at $280 although it took a while because the site was so overloaded webpages kept timing out. By 2 o'clock the Transformer was sold out and by 3 the Thrive was sold out.

When Black Friday actually rolled around, those same items went on sale again, but the doorbusters were not available online.

And then their Cyber Monday sale actually started on Sunday. Was able to order 3 Iconia A500's for my kids, although I had to do them as three separate orders since they limited it to one per order.

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
This was 189.99 at my local best buy. I was really interested in blackberry Playbook but not that interested to wait outside. Lol. I left the house at 8am. The store was practically deserted. All the playbooks were gone but the still had A100 and A500 in stock.

I had already read the specs and I figured I should one of these just because of the price. Tons of more features for less than the price of a kindle fire!

Sent from my A100 using Android Tablet Forum

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
Yeah, human psychology is weird, isn't it? The Blackberry Playbook sells out because the price is cut to $200, but it's a dead OS and a seriously limited device--maybe you'll be able to run a hack to allow Android to run on it. On the other hand, the Acer A100 is $10 cheaper, has a well-established robust OS, and generally good reviews, and it's still on shelves? I don't get it.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
Yeah, human psychology is weird, isn't it? The Blackberry Playbook sells out because the price is cut to $200, but it's a dead OS and a seriously limited device--maybe you'll be able to run a hack to allow Android to run on it. On the other hand, the Acer A100 is $10 cheaper, has a well-established robust OS, and generally good reviews, and it's still on shelves? I don't get it.
I get it, those of us that are new to this have heard of blackberry(dh had a phone and loved it) being a reliable company while Acer is a cheap brand in general (overall it used to be). I almost did it when the playbooks was $189 from there site. Glad I didn't, but wish I had gotten the A100 and am kicking myself now.

GreenFuzzer

Mar 27, 2011
OMG! So when I called the store all confused by what I was getting online she told me hmmm sounds like they are sold out, should have actually told me that if it allowed me to pay for it online that it would have been shipped to that store for me to pick up? It is just the same day pick-up that is not available? If that is true I could cry as hubby ordered me a Nook Tablet for the same price as what the a100 is going for now!!! I ordered him an Ipod, we don't have cell phones so Iphone was outta the question. Bleep I shoulda come here days ago!!!!

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Green,
It wasn't a scam. I was awake and online the morning of Thanksgiving when the Black Friday deals went live for everyone, not just reward zone silver's presale. At 5am central time, I placed 2 orders for sale priced tablets. By 7am, they were all sold out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum