3-Wire Battery vs 2-Wire Replacement

Chiptham

Nov 9, 2014
I am a first time user. Thanks in advance for your patience and guidance regarding my question.

My tablet battery, in need of replacement, has 3 wires. The third wire (white one) is needed for charging the unit. The other two are obviously positive and negative connections.

I have been able to locate tablet batteries on line with similar specs and physical size, but they come two wire leads only. Does anyone know if the existing third charging wire is to be soldered to a connection on the replacement battery?... or must I continue to search for a 3-wired replacement?

ADDITIONAL INFO: Nextbook 8p 12, 2years old, 20 minute battery life, out of warranty, easy access to battery and board. I confirmed the purpose of the third wire by snipping it. The unit still worked on AC power but would not charge The wire has since been re-soldered and now charges. A full 100% charge lasts 20 minutes.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Chiptham, welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the E Fun Tablets forum for you, where more people familiar with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Are you sure the white lead is for charging and isn't perhaps a ground wire?

EDIT: I noticed after I posted that you mentioned snipping the wire and the unit no longer charging. Regardless, it would be extremely unusual for the battery not to use the other two leads for charging. Perhaps a picture of the unit's motherboard and battery can be helpful here.

Carlos Veloz Morales

Nov 21, 2014
I'm having exactly the same problema, my battery no longer charges with a replacement that has only 2 wires, my mid wire was Blue.

The Tablet is useless as it is since the old battery doesn't hold any charge, and the new battery won't charge with only Red and Black Wire.

This is an old picture I had taken to ask what the other bbattery input method was.

k9z1Am.png

Carlos Veloz Morales

Nov 21, 2014
I tested and tested with a multimeter, and I managed a solution.

With my 2 wire Battery, as stated, it turns on, but it won't charge, so I went ahead and soldered the blue one to my Black cable from my 2 wire battery, the multimiter shows the right voltaje, and I can now charge my Tablet from the normal USB port.

My battery replacement is a piece of crap, it was supossed to be 4500 mAh, but it's more like 3000, anyways, I hope this helps someone somewhere.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Which tends to confirm the theory that the third wire is a ground wire.

John Sarbu

Dec 29, 2016
Third wire is not a ground wire, like black wire, but you can connect it to the ground throu 10k resistor.
First, you must measure Ohms between third wire and black wire battery, usually there are 10k, but not for all battery. In case you measure 6k, then you have to connect third wire to ground using 6k resistor.
Good luck.