3G/4G tablet needed for US, UK and continental Europe

w2irt

Jan 4, 2012
Hello all,
I'm trying to research a 10" tablet for a family member. The real trick is that he lives in London (U.K.), travels extensively on business to continental Europe and the United States. His mobile device is on the O2 network over there, but he needs something that will work everywhere. I was told that the 3G and 4G data networks are different in the US and Europe but I don't know how much credence to give this. In short, he needs to make this work where there's no WiFi.

He also needs to be able to create, edit and save PowerPoint presentations, complex Excel spreadsheets and simple Word documents, connect to a projector when he gives speeches and be able to connect to MS Exchange server and IMAP servers for email.

Ideally he'd like to get a 32GB unit with a 10" screen.

We both looked at the Samsung Galaxy Tab and liked what we saw but I'm wondering if there's anything better out there (now or anticipated in the next month or two); network interoperability and the ability to create/edit MS Office files are mission-critical applications. Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Peter

washingtonjr

Dec 30, 2011
I would strongly recommend a tablet-PC like the Lenovo X220 (12,5"). Office, Interfaces (VGA, Diplay-Port, USB) and Network will do the job without any doubt. 3G/4G are available internally and if needed in any standard via USB. Starts at app. €600 There are sure alternatives with 10 or 11,6" sceens out there in the market for reasonable prices. BB

w2irt

Jan 4, 2012
I would strongly recommend a tablet-PC like the Lenovo X220 (12,5"). Office, Interfaces (VGA, Diplay-Port, USB) and Network will do the job without any doubt. 3G/4G are available internally and if needed in any standard via USB. Starts at app. €600 There are sure alternatives with 10 or 11,6" sceens out there in the market for reasonable prices. BB

That's pretty reasonable. What about data interoperability? Are there a difference in the over-the-air data networks in the United States, continental Europe and the United Kingdom? Is it just a matter of popping in a SIM card for the country he's in or is there more to it? Because data roaming charges are insanely high, my advice is to get a SIM for whichever country he's in, just as he does with his mobile phone, but I'm just not 100% sure if this works the same for over the air data on tablets as it does for mobile phones. Common sense says it should be the same but as I'm discovering, much of what I "assumed" to be possible in the tablet world is very difficult; I'm not ruling anything out at this point.