3g usb modem needed

thommo599

Jan 6, 2011
Hi all,

New to the forum as recently got this android pad for xmas.

I'm trying to locate a 3g USB device to work on this but don't want to purchase one and find it doesn't work.
I think I have a SuperPAD as that is what's on the box with a 10.2" screen
The start up displays infotmic and then says powered by wowpad.

inside the settings i have
model number deb
firmware 2.1-update 1
kernel version 2.6.32.9 hzhao@emma #1
build number deb-r2.1.1170

At no point apart from the box does it mention SuperPAD. I have seen one identical to mine called a Flytouch 2.
My wife bought it for me as a present to use for work, I think she had to order it from China, and I only need to use it to view my own pdf docs which I'm happy doing but occasionally I need to download files and it would be easier for me to download them when needed rather than download them at home later on that day.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Last edited:

elister

Jan 1, 2011
Go to a Sprint store, ask to try out a demo USB 3G Modem. Alot of companies re-brand Sprint service as their own 3G USB service, typically for 40$ a month. If it works in the store, should work with any re-branded USB modem you buy.

While most USB modems, you just plug it in and wait a minute to get a connection, no matter what device you connect it to, the tablet may need to be manually be configured (either via 3g Config App or settings). So make sure the clerk understands what a DNS/DHCP server is before you show them the tablet. The second the understand that its a Hong Kong import, they may turn you away. Ive had an ATT clerk show me the door when I asked for a case for my 4.3" Media Player (HK Import).

fancyui

Jun 15, 2010
You should know what network are you going to use first, WCDMA or CDMA2000 EVDO, all tablets make in China are only support some 3G modems.

thymox

Jan 15, 2011
I have a Huawei E1550 which curiously gets detected and the 3G options become enabled, but doesn't get any further.

thymox

Jan 15, 2011
OK, got a little further with this. On standard Linux systems the same happens unless an extra entry is added to the udev rules. It seems that the E1550 reports itself as a USB CD drive and USB storage device (the internal MicroSD slot on the E1550) and will report itself as the appropriate serial devices only once a particular tool (called usb mode switcher) is run... and that is what the extra udev rule does.

Now, if I could cross-compile usbmodeswitcher and figure out what Android uses instead of udev... then I might be cooking!

Wish me luck. :)

min10-2008

Dec 21, 2010
Hi all,

New to the forum as recently got this android pad for xmas.

I'm trying to locate a 3g USB device to work on this but don't want to purchase one and find it doesn't work.
I think I have a SuperPAD as that is what's on the box with a 10.2" screen
The start up displays infotmic and then says powered by wowpad.

inside the settings i have
model number deb
firmware 2.1-update 1
kernel version 2.6.32.9 hzhao@emma #1
build number deb-r2.1.1170

At no point apart from the box does it mention SuperPAD. I have seen one identical to mine called a Flytouch 2.
My wife bought it for me as a present to use for work, I think she had to order it from China, and I only need to use it to view my own pdf docs which I'm happy doing but occasionally I need to download files and it would be easier for me to download them when needed rather than download them at home later on that day.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Hi if you can find the build/Kernel you should be able to work out which 3G USB is reqd. If the pad is fr China, it's currently their New Year & most suppliers & factories are shut till 12th Feb, so don't stress if you've sent an email & they've not responded yet. I've been looking @ the Flytouch II Aka Superpad on eBay & have got an Huwaei E122 (EC122 everywhere else but Aust). Have been advised by the seller it will work on this pad, along with some ZT's & a few others. But pls research to the end degree before committing to anything for connection to the net. Good luck