A Couple Of Android Questions

B_Mullins

Oct 9, 2013
iRulu 10.1" running under Android 4.0.4 Single 32Gb RAM stick mounted in external slot. Mixed wired/wireless M$ LAN totally P2P

I have a couple of questions for the experienced Android users here.

1. Is there a way from software to shut the device down? Ever since Windows NT I've been able to tell the operating system to shut down the machine. Is there a comparable capability in Android? I have no problem holding the little button on the long-side to start or stop it. I just think it would be more elegant to be able to do that from the operating system or an app. Is it possible to do what I want to do? If so how? If this question has already been answered, a link to the thread will suffice.

2. How do I go about telling the OS what (very few) apps I want it to bring up at boot time? I have gone through the setup as far as I know I can figure out how to no avail. It is fairly simple (if somewhat involved) to do it in Windows. How does one go about doing it under Android? As before, if this question has already been asked and answered, a link to the thread will suffice.

3. Could someone recommend a good file manager app? I occasionally like to move files around and have grown very accustomed to marking, dragging and dropping files to move them. So far, I see no way to do that in Android. Recommendations please? I will even spend money for a top notch app.

Thanks in advance,
B Mullins

edap

Dec 12, 2012
As you have come to realize, Windows and Android are two completely different platforms, each one with its own UI experience. Android being a mobile OS and Windows, of course, meant to offer the full deal, although MS is playing catch-up in terms of its mobile aspirations and is seriously lacking in the number of applications that it has to offer. For example, as far as File Managers are concerned, Play Store offers the user many variants. And, they are all free. I use ASTRO, but ES File Explorer is a favorite of the Forum Staff, based on their postings in threads which I encourage you to read.

B_Mullins

Oct 9, 2013
Thanks for the responses, both of you. I well realize that Android is a mobile OS (hence it only needs a limited subset of the functionality of a "real" OS?) I just did not realize how spoiled I had become after working in Windows all these years. I'm not yet comfortable with the idea of rooting the tablet so I suppose I'll use the button. As for the file manager, I'll definitely look at Spider's suggestions.

Now, if either of you - or anybody else - can point me in the direction of a way to reduce the number of apps that load at boot-up time I shall be eternally grateful. I can go in and shut things down but next boot they're back. I want to be able to tell the the OS what to load at boot time. Not every installed app loads at boot time so there must be some way to tell the OS what apps to load at boot-up.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I want to be able to tell the the OS what to load at boot time. Not every installed app loads at boot time so there must be some way to tell the OS what apps to load at boot-up.

Some apps have a setting for whether or not they load at boot time, those, you can set to not load. For the ones that default to load at boot time, you can use an app to kill them all with a single touch. I use Advanced Task Killer Free and It'll pretty much take care of your problem albeit after the fact.

Amazon.com: Advanced Task Killer Free: Appstore for Android

BTW Be sure you set this app to Auto Start.:D

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Another option is to power down to sleep mode and use a widget to turn off your WiFi, each time.

logdog

May 12, 2013
I bought a Blurex cover for my Nexus 7 on Amazon for about $15. Close the cover and the tablet goes to sleep. Open and it wakes up. Very elegant and provides extra protection for the tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk