A couple of questions.... Rooted Nook

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Do you mean an external keyboard or a different on-screen keyboard? This-http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-apps-games/8752-problems-installing-slideit-keyboard-my-nc.html is basic instructions for installing a different keyboard (slide-it).
If you want to use an external (bluetooth) kb you need to be on CM7 nightlies http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lopment-release-03-11-2011-now-bluetooth.html. As far as I know this is the only current ROM that has bluetooth. There is, as yet, no support for usb "host"(keyboards, thumb drives, my DAC:confused:) capabilities in any of the builds.

But CM7 is wholly different than rooted stock, It is basically vanilla Android 2.3(gingerbread) with very few modifications. It is a lovely and capable daily driver, but much different.
:cool:More capable of awesomeness:cool:

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Do you mean an external keyboard or a different on-screen keyboard? This-http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-apps-games/8752-problems-installing-slideit-keyboard-my-nc.html is basic instructions for installing a different keyboard (slide-it).
If you want to use an external (bluetooth) kb you need to be on CM7 nightlies http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lopment-release-03-11-2011-now-bluetooth.html. As far as I know this is the only current ROM that has bluetooth. There is, as yet, no support for usb "host"(keyboards, thumb drives, my DAC:confused:) capabilities in any of the builds.

But CM7 is wholly different than rooted stock, It is basically vanilla Android 2.3(gingerbread) with very few modifications. It is a lovely and capable daily driver, but much different.
:cool:More capable of awesomeness:cool:

Ok.... now you have went WAY over " my " head!! (LOL) What is vanilla Android 2.3 gingerbread? Truthfully, I thought he was talking about about an external keyboard that is hooked up by bluetooth...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Sorry Rhonda rambling again,

He was but that capability is only available in the CyanogenMod7 ROM, CM7, a newer custom version of Android.
In other words, to try and clarify, if you want to use any peripherals, keyboards, headset, etc. you MUST be running a custom ROM, that custom ROM MUST be CM7 as that is the only ROM with bluetooth. Is that any better?

I won't get into the Android version #'s/dessert names unless you want me too. Suffice it to say that the ROMs available from CyanogenMod are the closest thing to STOCK(Vanilla) Android that you are going to find. No bells and whistles. Just Androiod.

Sorry I have mentioned in other threads that I tend to over-complicate things, I also assume that folks know as much about Android as I do, which is just silly.

/tl.dr-No CM7, No BT, No KB, etc, Dig?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Android- 2.1-Eclair, the version of android that the stock Nook Color runs on, though modified.
2.2-Froyo,
2.3-Gingerbread,
3.0-Honeycomb-

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Android- 2.1-Eclair, the version of android that the stock Nook Color runs on, though modified.
2.2-Froyo,
2.3-Gingerbread,
3.0-Honeycomb-

To further this thought a bit... When you see "Phiremod v5.1" or "UD 3.1.2", those are ROMs that are built on 2.3 Gingerbread.. Nookie Froyo and Phiremod Beta 2 are built on version 2.2 Froyo. Autonooter is based on 2.1 Eclair. I'm not 100% sure what the Honeycomb based ones are call, as I've not used any of those yet.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Sorry Rhonda rambling again,

He was but that capability is only available in the CyanogenMod7 ROM, CM7, a newer custom version of Android.
In other words, to try and clarify, if you want to use any peripherals, keyboards, headset, etc. you MUST be running a custom ROM, that custom ROM MUST be CM7 as that is the only ROM with bluetooth. Is that any better?

I won't get into the Android version #'s/dessert names unless you want me too. Suffice it to say that the ROMs available from CyanogenMod are the closest thing to STOCK(Vanilla) Android that you are going to find. No bells and whistles. Just Androiod.

Sorry I have mentioned in other threads that I tend to over-complicate things, I also assume that folks know as much about Android as I do, which is just silly.

/tl.dr-No CM7, No BT, No KB, etc, Dig?

Ok... let me ask this. I rooted my NC, and it was a 1.0.0 version. ( I made a mistake when I first rooted my NC, and had to set it back to factory default ) Can I run any of these others so I can use an external keyboard??

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Yes after rooting you can flash any Nook Color ROM you like. Buuuuuut..... CM7 nightly is the only one with bluetooth.

:eek:This is the point I have been trying to make:eek:

If you want to use Bluetooth, You have to flash the CM7 nightly ROM

CM7 nightlies=Bluetooth

Any other custom ROM=No Bluetooth.

So now I hope I have made that clear.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Yes after rooting you can flash any Nook Color ROM you like. Buuuuuut..... CM7 nightly is the only one with bluetooth.

:eek:This is the point I have been trying to make:eek:

If you want to use Bluetooth, You have to flash the CM7 nightly ROM

CM7 nightlies=Bluetooth

Any other custom ROM=No Bluetooth.

So now I hope I have made that clear.

Sorry, I have been such a pain!! I am just a beginner........

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Everybody was a beginner once.

You have not been a pain Ms Rhonda! Not in the least. Sometimes my words get in the way of what I :rolleyes:am actually trying to say:rolleyes:. That's my problem not yours.

:)I am, quite literally, happy to help.:)

As I think I stated earlier in the tread CM7 is stable and very, very usable. However it is very different than what you are used to with rooted stock B&N. It is more advanced has more features and is all around better(IMO) than stock. But things work a little differently and you need to know that going in. Some of the B&N Nook features don't work.

If you have learned the in's and out's of ROM Manager, ClockworkMod, can back-up and restore your current set-up, and are interested the process of flashing ROMS is not much different(easier I would say) than the initial rooting.

There are several threads dedicated to the initial flashing of the different ROMs if there is one in particular(CM7) then start there.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/10052-best-rom-update-nook-color-2.html This page has a few members listing their set-up and why.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lopment-release-03-11-2011-now-bluetooth.html This is the CM7 thread. should have everything you need.

Another thing to keep in mind is that any of these ROMs can be run from your mSD card, if you wish to try before you buy(though the sale is never really final) you can burn the image to an mSD card and test it out before you flash it directly on your NC.

As always if you need help or direction for any of these efforts you have but to ask....