A500 Wifi not working

DrAzzy

Jun 13, 2011
Running 4.010.10_COM_GEN2

Wifi continuously loops "Connecting..." "Disconnected." "Scanning...", with signal strength showing as "poor", over and over. Other systems can connect to the network.

I've tried finding the file in /data/misc/dhcp, but there are no files in that directory (viewed as root from terminal emulator, since I don't have a root file explorer, and can't get one since I don't have internet access).

I've tried setting static IP. Same symptoms.

Whenever I change wifi settings, for a short time, it will show a realistic signal strength (full strength, since it's 10 feet away from the router) for a few seconds. Then it will go back to "poor". All other networks in range also show as poor signal strength, when I know they're not.

The little button you need a paperclip to press did not resolve the problem either.

No settings or other changes since it was working last night.

I'm getting desperate here! This thing is useless without internet access.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Running 4.010.10_COM_GEN2Wifi continuously loops "Connecting..." "Disconnected." "Scanning...", with signal strength showing as "poor", over and over. Other systems can connect to the network.
When I got that "new" OS, the same thing happened to me. The only thing that helped was the paperclip, at a very particular point. Click "Connect", and while it's "searching", press the reset (so it's within a second or two, before it disables itself again.

I've since updated to the latest OS ".13", and even installed "the patch" as directed, and I STILL have looping/disable, and still do the reset trick, at least once every 4 days (for the past 3 days, once a day, which is every time I tried to connect, on either of 2 networks). But now I can just turn off wifi in lieu of the paperclip.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

DrAzzy

Jun 13, 2011
When I got that "new" OS, the same thing happened to me. The only thing that helped was the paperclip, at a very particular point. Click "Connect", and while it's "searching", press the reset (so it's within a second or two, before it disables itself again.Like this:
updated to the latest OS ".13", and even installed "the patch" as directed, and I STILL have looping/disable, and still do the reset trick, at least once every 4 days (for the past 3 days, once a day, which is every time I tried to connect, on either of 2 networks). But now I can just turn off wifi (also captioned in the above video) instead of the paperclip.Good luck!

The problem shown in the video is not the problem that I am experiencing.

The soft reset during "scanning" did not work, neither did the turn off wifi during scanning trick.

I never see "Obtaining IP address from..."

Just "Connecting..." "Disconnected" "Scanning..."

Last edited by a moderator:

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
I've seen the same thing sometimes, "disconnected...scanning...". Maybe in .10, your current OS? I should have documented things better, but each update supposedly would "fix everything"...

There are lots of people asking how to fix it, few answers. Some even say "I [tried X] and now it's fine", the most common being static IP, which is not possible for me, and which you've already done, but running the gamut from resets to deleting that invisible cache file. You may have to make do for now. I'm stuck with only a slightly broken wifi, but at least it's OK much of the time. If I had it all to do over, I'd have returned mine right after Android 3.1 broke it.

DrAzzy

Jun 13, 2011
Applied the patch on acer website. No luck with that either.

What else should I try?

Last edited:

sfpx

Jul 29, 2011
It happened to me 2-3 times and each time I just had to disable the wifi in android parameters and re-enable it.

P.S.
I was referring to the problem shown in the video clip.
Still worth a try.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
I've tried finding the file in /data/misc/dhcp, but there are no files in that directory (viewed as root from terminal emulator, since I don't have a root file explorer, and can't get one since I don't have internet access).

Didn't you load and install an APK when you rooted it? It's not a whole lot different to install a file manager APK. You need a PC with Internet access, and you need to find a free root explorer app. But supposedly, deleting that "corrupted" /dhcp cache file is the bees knees. Maybe do what it takes to unhide and delete that file.