Acer A500 - problem with HDMI port

jak

Jul 31, 2011
I purchased an Acer A500 about 2 weeks ago, and I think it is GREAT, but I am having a problem getting it work to with my HDTV. It works with fine with the 21 inch HD monitors I have at the office.

The TV is a Proscan Full HD 1080p, model 42LA45H. It is about 1.5 years old, and has been great up until this. It has 2 HDMI inputs, I've tried both.

When I connect the HDMI out on the A500 to the TV, the A500 knows it is connected because it gives an alert. On the TV all I see is an Android icon in the middle of the screen with the text "720p?"

Suggestions anyone?

I know the A500 is only outputting 720p through the HDMI port. I've read online that this might be a problem with Android 3x. Does anyone know if this correct, or when this fix is due out?

I considered returning the A500 and getting an Asus Transformer, but I read that they also only output 720p through the HDMI port. Do other Android tabs only output 720p on the HDMI ports?

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
It sounds like your TV is asking if 720p is what you want to change the resolution too, since that's what the A500 pushes out. Did you try and select yes or something with your remote?

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
check your video settings.

maybe you might missed some settings should be coming out when you attached your HDMI Cable in your TV.

jak

Jul 31, 2011
I have checked the setting for the TV a couple of times. Even read the manual for the TV. I can't find any setting on the TV for the HDMI.

Just restarted the TV with the A500 connected. Didn't make any difference.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

jak

Jul 31, 2011
Oh, I opened a ticket with Acer. Will update here if they provide useful info. So far they asked me to upgrade to android 3.1. I upgraded shortly after buying the a500.

phonegunner

May 18, 2011
I have had this problem...

It was a bad (or inconsistent operating) cable..

1 cable works with all my HDMI input TV's no problem...

The other cable will not work with the HDMI input of the TV BUT it will work with the HDMI to Component adapter to the TV... (which actually worked out since all of the other 4 HDMI inputs are in use with other devices....)

So... it might be the cable ....

Ted...

Last edited:

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
All my cables have worked just fine, sorry to hear you are having problems guys.

Pete

HD87

May 14, 2011
It is plug & play. Test different hdmi cables with different monitors.. If neither is projecting the image then its the tablet. Would make an insurance claim. It should have a 1 year warranty for hardware problems.

jak

Jul 31, 2011
Update: Took the A500 into BestBuy today. One of the Geek Squad guys tried it on 3 different 1080p TVs. It worked great on all of them. Looks like my TV is the problem. Geek squad guy suggested the TV had old firmware.

rkka93

May 5, 2011
Update: Took the A500 into BestBuy today. One of the Geek Squad guys tried it on 3 different 1080p TVs. It worked great on all of them. Looks like my TV is the problem. Geek squad guy suggested the TV had old firmware.

You might be in a similar boat I'm in. I have an old plasma that only does 480p or 1080p. I don't know why for the life of me you would do 1080p and not 780p, but that's the way it is.

Searching on the web, I saw an article from May that said there is supposed to be an update to the Iconia to output 1080p (later in the summer). Anyone heard of that?

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
many tablets claim supports 1080p video playback, but, according to user discussions, some 1080p video playback with issues, in this case, you may try converting 1080p to 720p, which looks no different