Acer Backing Off From Touch-Screen Device Business

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Acer-pulling-back-its-touch-device-efforts.jpg

Even though the Acer Iconia Tabs were very good products, they haven't sold very well, unfortunately. Acer just announced that they were pulling back from the touch-device biz. Here's a quote from the PhoneArena article with some details,

...the company reported that it will be dropping its touch business group and relocating half of its 300 research and development personnel to other divisions within the company. Acer said it would not be abolishing its smartphone and tablet teams completely, but would be cutting the teams down to 30 and 70 people, respectively.

This is surely disappointing news for fans of the "little tab that could." Perhaps as the technology and the market continues to evolve, they may jump back in the game in a big way again. There are rumors that they still may announced one mor new Iconia tab at CES in January. We will keep you informed.

Source: PhoneArena

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
It is sad news to hear that Acer is backing away from the tablet market. They make a good sturdy tablet, and I love mine. But as we all are familiar with the fierce competition in the tablet market place, it takes no prisoners. All we can hope for is that Acer hangs in there and continues to innovate their tablet line.

nelsonve

Dec 26, 2011
I almost purchased the Acer tablet but went with the Toshiba Thrive instead, Acers offering was a close 2nd. It is a hyper competitive segment of the market and it looks like it will get worse for all the manufacturers but it is also the largest growing part of the mobile sector and has already (in a minor way, I think) started to eat away at the la[top and net-top market. This means that the companies that endure the initial fire storm will establish their name brand as a solid choice, in other words the company is solid and will not disappear from the market leaving you high and dry.

Hope they reconsider their choice in leaving as they did have a solid product, on another thought there are few of the manufacturers who have sold high volume tablets, probably due to the overwhelming choices the public has in front of them.